All Forums
 Lounge
 Something strange happened...
Author Topic  
bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  14:43:10
Wow. Its easy to get complacent about eBay. I know I'm not the only comrade here who's addicted to that big toybox in the sky where you can get absolutely anything... but its not all cookies and cream...

I won an auction for a G4 800DP the other night. It seemed like a remarkably good deal at the time, which I just put it down to random eBay luck. This morning however I had a call from some guy in the eBay fraud squad. He asked me to call the police asap, as they had strong reason to believe that it had been stolen. So now i'm the kingpin in a police sting operation. Spent most of today sending out bogus e-mails to the guy, stringng him along.

I must admit, I felt a bit sorry for the guy at first. I generally sympathise with the infamous words of Charles Bukowski, " I don't mind the police, I just prefer it when they're not around", but then I remembered the last time something was stolen from me, and how much that pissed me off, and figured that if he was going to be such a lowlife as to steal someone elses pride and joy then he deserves to be busted.

Luckily I hadn't paid up yet...

The moral of this little story? Well, sometimes when something seems too good to be true...it really is!

Cheers!
CC

PS. Not the first time I've been mistaken for Paul Newman ...

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
1 Macintosh Portable
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
3 LC 475s
5 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 PowerComputing Powerbase 240
1 Wallstreet
and a partridge in a pear tree

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  16:12:51
good for you, B! fry the B@$^@#D! nice work, comrade.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  16:33:25
Stupid question time:

If it's a criminal matter, then why are you posting it here? Aren't you trying not to let the guy know you're on to him?

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  18:47:08
Hmmm, What... 200 people read these forums... 6 billion in the world... I wouldn't put money on it.

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
1 Macintosh Portable
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
3 LC 475s
5 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  23:56:11
quote:

Hmmm, What... 200 people read these forums... 6 billion in the world... I wouldn't put money on it.

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
1 Macintosh Portable
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
3 LC 475s
5 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Exactly. But dude...sucks about the (not your) G4. I can imagine what a dissappointment that would be.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  00:33:17
quote:
Exactly. But dude...sucks about the (not your) G4. I can imagine what a dissappointment that would be.

[anguished cry] Tell me about it! [/anguished cry].

Sob.

I'm currently hanging onto the hope that their "95% sure" turns out to be "oops, wrong guy".

Thanks for the condolences.

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
1 Macintosh Portable
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
3 LC 475s
5 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  03:51:00
I'm a hero!

quote:
Dear Bigsadhu,

We have completed our operation with success. We have recovered the G4 server and burner which has been identified (by serial number) as the property stolen from a local Cairns school on 13/5/2002. We have someone in custody at present. As a result of the operation we have recovered a total of $14000.00 in stolen computer equipment. Unfortunately for yourself this means you will not be able to purchase the server/burner, however I think this is obviously a better result than you being supplied stolen equipment. I will call you on Friday to thank you in person for your co-operation with this matter.

Names have been changed to protect the identities of those involved.

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
1 Macintosh Portable
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
3 LC 475s
5 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Edited by - bigsadhu on 29 May 2002 03:51:49Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  04:10:24
quote:

I'm a hero!

quote:
Dear Bigsadhu,

We have completed our operation with success. We have recovered the G4 server and burner which has been identified (by serial number) as the property stolen from a local Cairns school on 13/5/2002. We have someone in custody at present. As a result of the operation we have recovered a total of $14000.00 in stolen computer equipment. Unfortunately for yourself this means you will not be able to purchase the server/burner, however I think this is obviously a better result than you being supplied stolen equipment. I will call you on Friday to thank you in person for your co-operation with this matter.

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
1 Macintosh Portable
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
3 LC 475s
5 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 Wallstreet

Edited by - bigsadhu on 29 May 2002 03:51:49

WoooooooooooooooooooHooooooooooooooooooooooo you're a hero dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if only you could sing that Enrique Inglesias song to the G4...

I could be your hero baby.....

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  07:18:16
quote:

I'm a hero!
quote:
Dear Bigsadhu,

. . . Unfortunately for yourself this means you will not be able to purchase the server/burner, however I think this is obviously a better result than you being supplied stolen equipment.

kudos to our kiwi kum kanga kamerade!

since you weren't physically wounded in this operation. (thankfully!) let me nominate you for the "blue heart" commendation for the mental anguish you must be suffering over your lost eBay swag. unfortunately this will likely last longer than pain from healing wounds that would have won you a "purple heart".

then again . . . a well worded request for some form of insider access to any future excessed computer inventory might help assuage your feelings of loss somewhat, if such correspondence were to make its way to the proper officials in said (renamed) school district via snail mail!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2002 :  14:26:42
quote:

quote:

I'm a hero!
quote:
Dear Bigsadhu,

. . . Unfortunately for yourself this means you will not be able to purchase the server/burner, however I think this is obviously a better result than you being supplied stolen equipment.

kudos to our kiwi kum kanga kamerade!

since you weren't physically wounded in this operation. (thankfully!) let me nominate you for the "blue heart" commendation for the mental anguish you must be suffering over your lost eBay swag. unfortunately this will likely last longer than pain from healing wounds that would have won you a "purple heart".

then again . . . a well worded request for some form of insider access to any future excessed computer inventory might help assuage your feelings of loss somewhat, if such correspondence were to make its way to the proper officials in said (renamed) school district via snail mail!

jt . .

LML/SAF?

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.