Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  11:41:55
i've been wondering if this might not be a good idea:

quote:

it's probably more coding than look, but i really like the default "active topics since last visit on . . . " interface of the 68kMLA forums, i find myself looking at posts i've already seen way too often over here.

i should also suggest that our guys implement an active since_____________ parameter entry dialogue. it's really annoying when eBay pulls an AOL and blows my browser out of the water before i finish reading all the new posts and i end up sorting out the new ones manually like i need to do here.

you'll need to register to visit the 68kMLA site, quit your browser and come back to the MLA later to see just how convenient it is to see only the new posts in ALL the forums in one window since your last visit. it makes following discussions on the entire site far easier. there are interesting tidbits and discussions that i miss out on joining frequently over here because i don't habitually visit some forums. it'd probably increase participation in the forums here significantly if you implemented a similar default view for the active discussions.

jt

=8-}

sorry about the quote, but my wrist hurts, too much typing! <rolleyes>

jt . .

p.s. a few more additions to the drop down menu might work too:

6 hours
12 hours
18 hours

dunno, whadda ya think?

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 27 May 2002 11:44:49

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  18:14:54
While the forum software is free, it is illegal to modify the code. However, if you find any mods for the Snitz software that do that kind of thing, let me know and I can apply them to add new features or whatever.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  06:11:35
Please, please, pretty please with PDS cards on top..., I would love a "Reset Last Visit to Now" item on the "Active Topics Since" button. After I have read all the active threads, I have a hassle of a time resetting the Last Visit clock to the current time so that I only see items that changed. To do this, you have to log out and log back in twice in a row. (The first logout/login cycle resets the clock to when you first started looking at active topics in that web session, the second logout/login cycle resets the clock to the time of the first logout/login cycle).

BTW, ~Coxy, we all really appreciate all the hard work that you and the other Generals do to make the 68kMLA an excellent resource for those using these most excellent of computers. These forums are exceptional for their perfect mix of decorum, information, and bouts of silliness.

g4from128k

------------
-- The Liberated: PB 190cs, Outbound 2030E, Performa 450
-- The Originals: 128k, Mac II
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  07:19:27
quote:

BTW, ~Coxy, we all really appreciate all the hard work that you and the other Generals do to make the 68kMLA an excellent resource for those using these most excellent of computers. These forums are exceptional for their perfect mix of decorum, information, and bouts of silliness.

agreed, that's why i stuck around! i've never done that, i just lurked when i had problems and would occasionally register and make a comment or two and AOL would have croaked me out of whatever log in data i'd had in short order, i think this is tho only identity i've had for more than a few sessions anywhere.

btw, i just quit my browser and reopen it without ever logging on or off to do what it is that i think you are describing, it's just when the browser quits on its own that it gets annoying, on fritter it's annoying ALL the time! no complaints here, just a suggestion, it doesn't sound possible tho. *sighs*

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  07:45:35
quote:

btw, i just quit my browser and reopen it without ever logging on or off to do what it is that i think you are describing, it's just when the browser quits on its own that it gets annoying, on fritter it's annoying ALL the time! no complaints here, just a suggestion, it doesn't sound possible tho. *sighs*

jt ?. .

Thanx for the tip of quiting/restarting the browser , but it did not work for me . (could it be my always-on DSL connection? Netscape's crappy cookie manager? Some obscure setting in some control panel? OS 9? * throws up hands to internet gods ina burst of pious pleading *).

I also agree with you about the barfing browser problem ("Netscape Unexpectedly Quit", ya right, Netscape expectedly quit)

* sigh^2 *

g4from128k

------------
-- The Liberated: PB 190cs, Outbound 2030E, Performa 450
-- The Originals: 128k, Mac II
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  08:54:28
quote:

Thanx for the tip of quiting/restarting the browser , but it did not work for me . (could it be my always-on DSL connection? Netscape's crappy cookie manager? Some obscure setting in some control panel? OS 9? * throws up hands to internet gods ina burst of pious pleading *).

I also agree with you about the barfing browser problem ("Netscape Unexpectedly Quit", ya right, Netscape expectedly quit)
[/quote]
LOL! "Netscape Unexpectedly Ran an ENTIRE FREAKIN SESSION WITHOUT QUITTING"

nehoo! use cookie cruncher, tell it which ones to always keep and blow the rest of the little B@$^@#*$ out of the water on a regular basis! F****M' and the cookie jar they rolled in on (in? . . . . whatever!) clean out your cache whenever it slows down too!

dunno . . . NN 4.7.3 - OS 9.1 - Verizon DSL, seems to work for me, but the whole system is getting a little hinky lately, time to set everything up on a new drive and unhook this one!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2002 :  17:11:07
quote:

Please, please, pretty please with PDS cards on top..., I would love a "Reset Last Visit to Now" item on the "Active Topics Since" button. After I have read all the active threads, I have a hassle of a time resetting the Last Visit clock to the current time so that I only see items that changed......

Nevermind. Did you know that the little half-pink, half-yellow folder in the upper left corner of the Active Topics list will reset your time of the login? (no more double logout-out/login-in, no more quiting/rerunning the browser) Once you've read all the active topics, you just click that folder/button and it resets the clock so you only see new, incoming fresh topics.

I thought I did not know this little trick cuz I didn't RTFM, but then I looked at the FM and there was nothing to R about the little login clock resetter.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze? Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial Symmetry

Edited by - g4from128k on 08 Jun 2002 17:26:40Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.