All Forums
 Lounge
 i have spoken
Author Topic  
cokewoman
Starting Member

4 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  02:23:39
ok, perhaps this aint so new, but somebody will certainly benefit from this: System 7.5.3 on a (C) 1997 Mac Restore CD for a PowerMac isn't upgradeable to 7.5.5 Update from Apple Support. This sucks since type 11 errors are common. Well, I got adventurous and manually copied the ResEdit resources from the 7.5.5 update folder for the resource files which seemed to refer to the System File. Well, I just copied them into my 7.5.3 System File. Nice! Now no more type 11 crashes and freezes. And I didn't have to fuss with the installer or any ethernet files or the sleep control panel or anything. Sure, powermacs aren't all 68K, but surely this well help somebody out there reading this.

In other news, I discovered today that most CD rom drives have a TTL digital output which can be quite easily modified to be an SPDIF coaxial output with some minor voltage changes. TTL is 0 to 5 volts, while SPDIF is +/- 500 millivolts. Not all drives work the same with this, but it's relatively common enough to work. I found this out on a minidisc hacking site. This was a nice touch to the fact that I was sitting next to a loose CD-ROM drive while reading the site.

The nice thing about TTL digital audio (from a CD-ROM drive) is that it can be saved onto all kinds of media once you get it connected. I just happen to have a broken VCR sitting next to me right now. Perhaps I'll next turn it into a 3 track digital audio tape recorder.
I'll just wait for the next disaster and gather up the parts for this project.

WEll, rock on my friends. And don't forget to use AppDisk, FlushIt!, and Substitute as rad 68k or PPC tools. I've tried MacOS 8,9, and X. But there is still no alternative to bug-fixed 7.5.5

And another thing: SuperPaint II rocks on like Rainbox.

don't bother trying to find me.

cokewoman
Starting Member

4 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  02:43:01
that's F l u s h I t ! it's a disk cache auto flusher. helps prevent crashes due to pending RAM saves. it's a teey application.

too bad this forum censor thout it was Flu - Shit! (think flu - caca)

rock on redNeXT

don't bother trying to find me.Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  03:11:08
Hello, new member. Nice name!
Just a little query - why shouldn't we bother trying to find you?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  09:57:06
quote:

Hello, new member. Nice name!
Just a little query - why shouldn't we bother trying to find you?

methinks this new member is referring to the intellectual property gestapo, their minions in D.C. and the perverse scum in hollywood trying to enact yet another pointless copy protection scheme.

sounds to me like you can get a digital output from any ROM reader at the TTL level no matter what nonsense they try to add to the circuitry. if you can play it, you can make a digital copy of it!

just gotta hack some jumpers onto a simple circuit . . . or so it would seem.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.