All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Lucky find!
Author Topic  
bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  00:19:41
I was out west of the city this afternoon, picking up an LC //e card that I won on e-bay. The young guy I bought it off had a whole room full of old computers... a few macs, piles of commodores some PCs...and even a VAX!

I asked him if he was interested in getting rid of any of his other mac stuff, and he reached behind some boxes and pulled out a Mac portable! I offered him 20 bucks for it and the deal was done.

It seems to be in fairly good condition, due to spending most of its life in its case I guess.... just a little bit of discolouring around the battery compartment due to acid leakage. Unfortunately the battery is missing... and I gather that it won't run without it. Its also got some kind of RAM expansion board and a 40 mb hard drive.

Yet another project! Just what I need...NOT!

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
1 Macintosh Portable
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
4 LC 475s
6 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 PowerComputing Powerbase 240
1 Wallstreet
and a partridge in a pear tree

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  06:02:51
quote:

Yet another project! Just what I need...NOT!

http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=68k;action=display;num=1020560648;start=0

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  06:38:49
Go here for instructions on how to revive a Portable with a dead battery. (Hint: you don't need either the battery or the cover...)

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  06:39:31
Trashman to the rescue again!

Actually, in my case the battery is missing completely...

I'm wondering if one of these would work as a substitute? (Goto this site:http://jaycarstore.webfactory.com.au/index02.ws4d and serach for this item: SB2496).

Would that work? The amperage and voltage are just a little off-spec, plus it'll easily fit in the bay... or will it cause a meltdown?

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
1 Macintosh Portable
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
4 LC 475s
6 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 PowerComputing Powerbase 240
1 Wallstreet
and a partridge in a pear tree

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  07:26:50
quote:

Trashman to the rescue again!

Actually, in my case the battery is missing completely...

http://www.mzdt.fsnet.co.uk/hackplus/portablefaq.txt

quote:

Another solution that has been suggested is to make up a small battery pack of five NiCad AA cells with a pair of croc clips - this apparently has a low enough output impedance to allow the Portable to start up.

i couldn't say anything one way or the other about the battery in your link, B. dunno much at all about that electron pushing stuff, it all sounds/looks like plumbing to me. Gordoom's link looks very interesting, but the pipes (wires on the 9v backup battery adapter) look like they've got much too small a diameter to me. the small replacement pack wired in parallel with the power adapter strikes me as a more workable solution. even if it's wired in series the pipes are certainly a suitable diameter and up to the task of continuous duty at full load, sounds that way to me anyway, dunno really. jus' guessin'

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.