All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 kvm switch
Author Topic  
thelip

USA
729 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  19:13:01
I found a adb kvm switch for 3 adb macs today at my local microcenter for 60 dollars, with no cables. I didn't get it, i don't know why. I want it, but i don't need it. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with these things and could share some thoughts on them. I've definitely got the macs. I was curious if you could switch systems while the systems were hot, or if things had to be shut down. thanks in advance.

PM 8500 OC g3 420mhz (Daisy)
(3) Quadra 950's
Quadra 650
Performa 476
PB 165
Classic
Newton 130

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  20:35:59
quote:

I was curious if you could switch systems while the systems were hot, or if things had to be shut down. thanks in advance.

yup! nope! nopro!

for a more detailed view of the matter check out this thread:

http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=hacks;action=display;num=1021788501;start=0

might want to search KVM here also, i've extolled their virtues on a regular basis. if the KVM switch you found is the one in the macwarehouse catalog, i recommend it highly, i can't think of the brand name.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

thelip

USA
729 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  22:56:40
ok, i don't mean to be a pain, but it's late and i'm way to tired to be trying to think.

So what you're saying is that I CAN switch to different machines while they are both running? If so that would be sweet, the person I'm getting the 8600 from said it would fry my adb controller.

Also is 60 dollars worth it? I haven't looked on ebay for something like this. I could use it, but I didn't know if i could find it elsewhere for less. I'm a broke college student. $60 dollars could buy 12 $5 compact macs! (right?... where's my calculator...)

(3) Quadra 950's
Quadra 650
Performa 476
PB 165
Classic
Newton 130Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  05:45:20
quote:

ok, i don't mean to be a pain, but it's late and i'm way to tired to be trying to think.

So what you're saying is that I CAN switch to different machines while they are both running? If so that would be sweet, the person I'm getting the 8600 from said it would fry my adb controller.

Also is 60 dollars worth it? I haven't looked on ebay for something like this. I could use it, but I didn't know if i could find it elsewhere for less. I'm a broke college student. $60 dollars could buy 12 $5 compact macs! (right?... where's my calculator...)

i don't understand why people here compare the pricing for new peripherals with the absurdly low cost of dumpster ballast. IMHO, $60 may be a lot of money for a mechanical KVM switch, but it's no more than three or four times the price than a crappy one for a PC, handles the monitor sense pins and ADB without any problem for me and is not only produced for a market infinitely smaller than the wintel world, it's available NEW for an interface that hasn't been on the market for how long?

reality check time comrades, if you're not building your own, anything available NEW for 68k macs or to adapt 68k peripherals to "modern" interfaces is going to cost MORE, that's when it's available at all. (like that cheap ADB to USB converter you were looking for a while back Ti!) if you happen to luck into a bargain, great, but don't expect bargain basement prices on EVERYTHING!

<rolleyes>

you can switch them all you want with the proper equipment, your friend is confusing switching with hot plugging. (which you cand get away with most of the time on later Macs if you're careful and lucky, but you'll probably fry one eventually)

i'm tired, cuz i just woke up and i was probably harsher in this post than i've ever been, but this kind of attitude is rapidly becoming a pet peeve. nothing personal toward any individual comrade, but a general 68kMLA attitude that if something costs more than garbage does it's overpriced seems to be developing, and that's a load of pure, unadulterated, b******t! IMNAHE f*****n' O!

jt . .

p.s. that second deleted expletive was freakin' i just felt like getting cute!

p.p.s. the first one is exactly what comes to mind!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 26 May 2002 05:53:57Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  06:05:56
My superior officers here at the 68kMLA can slap me down if I got it wrong, but you might need to be careful with hot pluggin ADB devices on some Mac models. When the Mac II came out there were warnings that you could burn out the ADB controller if you ran the computer with nothing plugged into it. I belive the problem was peculiar to the early II's but cannot say for sure. The solution, if you are worried about the problem, is to always have least one ADB device plugged into directly into each mac, while using the KVM switch to control a set of other ADB devices.

(BTW, a fun trick to pull on someone is to plug a second mouse into their mac. Then move that mouse at the same time that they try to move theirs. The movements will combine to drive the cursor in unexpected directions. An extremely fun trick when the intended victim is in the middle of level 9999 of some intense game!!! Fineprint: Void where prohibited by the personality of the victim.)

Regards the price, $60 seems a bit steep, especially for one without cables and especially if the switch is just a mechanical selector knob. If the ADB switch is software controlled (is there such a thing???) then you might want to make sure you can find drivers for it before buying it.

Of course these forums are rife with examples of people getting macs for $5 or less while paying many times that amount for some cherished peripheral. Supply and demand rules and CPUs are just more plentiful than peripherals. Bottomline, if the switch is worth $60 to you (and you can't seem to find an alternative) then get it. Personally, I'd rather have a bunch more Macs!!!

g4from128k

------------
-- The Liberated: PB 190cs, Outbound 2030E, Performa 450
-- The Originals: 128k, Mac II
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

thelip

USA
729 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  10:04:42
ok, the two points were clear. First off, I've never looked at kvm switches before. Saw that one, I knew nothing about and I came here looking for some advice (which i obviously received.) I understand that adb products are going to be rare. I've got my first mac about a year ago (a quadra 650). I guess i should know some stuff, but i was never totally interested with them til about 6 months ago. I've got the 8500 which is going to have to last me for a while because I've still got about 4 years left in school. I've upgraded to the max besides a g4 (hence, i know what a pain it is for getting upgrades for that.). I also replied with that last post (err... nag) while being tired and i probably could have done with out it. My sarcasism was probably not fully understood. Although, i did compare the price to 12 macs, that was a joke. like most of us i think we know what $5 for macs can buy. (another joke, being that my 4 $5 compacts are all dead.) All I wanted to know is if it worked like i would want it to (which i never gave enough info to identify it) and whether I could get it on ebay or someplace else for less, due to having no idea of what something like that went for. I would have thought this would be a good place to find that out. Sorry about bothering you, i guess i'll just find this s**t out on my own.

(3) Quadra 950's
Quadra 650
Performa 476
PB 165
Classic
Newton 130Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  10:52:04
quote:

I would have thought this would be a good place to find that out. Sorry about bothering you, i guess i'll just find this s**t out on my own.

this IS the place to find out about all this crap, and it's not a bother at all! i thought i HAD answered your questions adequately and that i had made it clear that my little rant was NOT aimed at you! i even took a fellow moderator to task about a comment he made a while back in order to make sure that my points were general commentary and NOT addressed specifically to you.

i aplolgize, it seems i failed to make that clear!

there is much more detailed info in my postings in that fritter thread. if you have any more specific questions after reading it, i'd be glad to answer them, but first look thru the other thread, please.

jt . .

p.s. typing the same long explanations repeatedly has been wreaking havoc on wrists that survived decades of computer use before getting involved here!

p.p.s. before that manual switch hit the market they were about $200 a pop back when i really needed one, needless to say i grabbed one of these right away and it has been a wonderful convenience!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 26 May 2002 11:00:10Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.