All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Clock Chipping Success!
Author Topic  
Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  06:50:48
Bigsadu dropped over tonite, and we had a go at accelerating a LC475/Q605 motherboard from 25MHz to 33MHz with great success. (The ins and outs of this clock chipping mod are described at http://homepage.mac.com/schrier/mhz.html)

'sadu gave me a 475 and a Q605, so I was confident that I could do the mods and still have a working Mac if I managed to blow a mobo up. The first mod we tried worked a treat, and the 25MHz LC040 ran quite happily at 33MHz. I've now swapped a few things around and now I have a Q605 (with Feets! My first Feets Mac!) running at 33MHz with a full '040 (the processor was ripped from some other Mac at some stage, and is acrtually rated at 33MHz, although I would be quite happy running a 25MHz chip at the faster speed) 36MB RAM, 1MB VRAM, ethernet and a 2 Gig HD. WooHoo!

Seeing as the first mod was such a success, we tried to do it again. However I think we may have fired the mobo. Either that or I've done some dodgy soldering. Never the less, it appears that the board is not going to work ever again - there's no 'bong' at power up. And the third board, which I have not even touched with the soldering iron, just does not want to work. It does the 'bong' and the HD spins, but nothing else happens! I'm well aware of the foibles with the video and the PRAM battery...but it does not appear to be one of those problems. Interestingly enough it did boot up at one stage, but when I shut down and restarted with the ethernet card connected it was no go, and has not worked again since.

Anyhow, I am very happy with the one (out of three) Macs that is working...and now I'm trying to see what exactly is wrong with the dead mobos.

cheers
Flash!

68k MLA ParaMedic

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  14:09:23
quote:

now I have a Q605 (with Feets! My first Feets Mac!)

Hail to the Feets

quote:

Interestingly enough it did boot up at one stage, but when I shut down and restarted with the ethernet card connected it was no go, and has not worked again since.

Try Zapping the PRAM, if that fails pull the power chord and the battery offf the locic board and leave it over night. If it STILL doesn't work it sounds tachoed.

--
Mark Benson

Visit FlatPackMacs Online
http://fpm.gotdns.com

We have feets

Wooohoo! I have a green star

Macs Liberated = 10Go to Top of Page

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  14:22:06
Feet Mac?, what macs has feet?, I've never heard this before.

------------------
Mac SE 4/40
Mac Classic II 4/40
Mac IIx 8/160
Mac IIvi 8/260
Mac Quadra 650 32/260
Mac Quadra 650 64/350 via basilisk II
iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  15:29:41
quote:

LOL! that'd be: "feetsmac" and the proper nomenclature for the support structures under many 68k macs, the microquadra's (Quadra 605) being the most notable example, would be "feets".

do a search of "feets" within the forums (i gotta try google in a minute! ) to learn all about this long running insider joke of the 68kMLA.

and welcome aboard, comrade!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  15:34:06
quote:

We have feets

woohoo! you're getting to be an old-timer here SVP!

congratulations!

i think maybe we should substitute "toes" for the stars! but i don't really approve of silliness!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  18:29:50
A word of warning when doing this mod. Aside from the fact that you could fry your mobo.... those little resistors are tiny! I de-soldered them easy enough. Then picked one up with a pair of tweezers and....ping, it flew off! Fortunately it landed in my keyboard and after removing a couple of keys I was able to find it again... A pair of steady hands and a magnifying glass make life all the easier

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  18:49:40
As cool as that mod sounds I don't have the MacPlus that I need. I also don't want to fry any of my mac's mobos! I don't have any to spare as well as no spare parts!

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  19:55:35
quote:

quote:

LOL! that'd be: "feetsmac" and the proper nomenclature for the support structures under many 68k macs, the microquadra's (Quadra 605) being the most notable example, would be "feets".

do a search of "feets" within the forums (i gotta try google in a minute! ) to learn all about this long running insider joke of the 68kMLA.

and welcome aboard, comrade!

jt . .

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=feets&btnG=Google+Search

www.feetsperminute.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.www.feetsperminute.co.uk/ - Another meaning for FPM!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  20:03:10
Ya just gotta have a mac with dem feets :) A collection needs at least one them. Just be sure sure to tie up that kind of Mac though...they have a tendency to run off if you don't!

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  20:15:22
quote:

Ya just gotta have a mac with dem feets :) A collection needs at least one them. Just be sure sure to tie up that kind of Mac though...they have a tendency to run off if you don't!

I just acquired a PowerMac 8100/110AV. Do those little protrusions on the side count as feets?

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  20:59:52
quote:

quote:

I just acquired a PowerMac 8100/110AV. Do those little protrusions on the side count as feets?

dunno, the 68kMLA eeeeeeeekometer isn't currently available for testing.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  22:24:28
quote:

quote:

quote:

dunno, the 68kMLA eeeeeeeekometer isn't currently available for testing.

jt . .

HAR!™

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  07:14:24
quote:

Yes, they do. They are bigger than Micro Quadra feets but they are still feets. I have an 840av (same case) and I thin kthe *outside* of the case is cool. I hate the inside but who cares - I should stop taking the damn thing apart every 5 mins ;).

--
Mark Benson

Visit FlatPackMacs Online
http://fpm.gotdns.com

We have feets

Macs Liberated = 10Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  07:22:38
What about the MacroQuadra feetlets? Where's dana when you need her?

Anyway, I'd like to do the crystal replacement hack, but am unable to find a source for them in Australia... you don't know where you can get them?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  07:51:06
which crystal are you after??

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2002 :  08:24:38
A 97.44 MHz (not sure about f) 4 pin oscillator.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.