Compact Macs
 broken floopy drive
Author Topic  
ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  05:07:28
Hi,
i think the floopy drive on my classic II is broken, because it wouldn't except *any* floopy disks i put in it. it just clicks a few times, spits the floopys and disply a floopy with an X on it. is there something i can do to fix it?

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  05:12:07
Have you tried putting a floppy disk in it?

Cheers
CC

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
4 LC 475s
6 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 PowerComputing Powerbase 240
1 Wallstreet
and a partridge in a pear tree

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  05:27:31
When the computer first powers up, it starts looking for a disk from which it can boot. If it can't find one, it gives a floppy disk icon with a flashing question mark.

If you insert a floppy disk without a system folder, it will read the disk, see that it can't boot from it, and spit it back out, displaying an "X" in the middle of the floppy disk icon. That's what's happening to you.

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

ido

Israel
57 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  07:40:51
quote:
If you insert a floppy disk without a system folder, it will read the disk, see that it can't boot from it, and spit it back out, displaying an "X" in the middle of the floppy disk icon. That's what's happening to you.

you are right. i inserted a system 7.0.1 install disk and installed it on another floopy. anyway, when i inserted the 'disk tools' floopy what happens is:

i go to 'install hard drive', it says:
"Apple HD SC Setup vHB1-7.0.1"
"SCSI Device: 0"
"drive"

i press "Format", it says "Format will erase the data bla bla bla...." i press "Format", it shows a black and white rotating circle... i can hear the hard drive being accessed, it says: "Formating Disk...Checking Format" and after a while: "Can't Format the Disk. Can't load work space". please excuse any grammer mistakes, i'm translating from the hebrew version of system 7... so what now?

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  08:48:19
Are you that ebay seller who always posts auctions for "floopy" drives?

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.