All Forums
 Lounge
 Bondi/Linares '02
Author Topic  
bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  05:00:16
I'm sad to announce that tonight Chess (OS X) on a PB 266 kicked the living crap out of Chessmaster 3000 on a Quadra 605, 2-0.

I had high hopes for the 'master... graphically he was far more impressive (in 2D at least), and he got out of the gates early and aggressively both times, however the young gun wore him down and forced a resignation in both games... and that's with Chess set on 'easy'.

Bah humbug.

CC

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
4 LC 475s
6 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 PowerComputing Powerbase 240
1 Wallstreet
and a partridge in a pear tree

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  09:59:47
Ahh, tis a sad day for 68k's...
On the up-side, a Mac Plus totally kicked a PC's ass a few years back.
The story is this:
Back in 6th grade, I needed to do a cool science fair project. I'd been on a winning streak, placing 1st two years in a row, so I really wanted a cool project. Right around that time, I was really getting into computers ("hard core", as my little sister would say), so I knew I was going to do some sort of computer-related project. At the same time, I was starting to lean towards being more of a Mac user then PC user, but I was facing something of an uphill battle at my school, which had been exclusively Mac-based, but was slowly giving in to a flood of cheap wintel boxen.
Anyway, since I had both a top-of-the-line early Mac (Mac Plus with 4 megs RAM and 80-meg external HDD) and a top-of-the-line PC (IBM 5150, 4 megs RAM, 60 meg HDD) from about the same era. In my mind, this meant that they'd been competing models, and perfect for a little 'brain power' test.
I got the best chess program I could find for both machines- ChessMaster 2000 on the Mac, and (I think...) Sargon II on the PC. I set the two computers up next to each other, and flipped a coin to see who would go first. Then played 5 games, with me as the 'interface', manually entering one computers move into the other. Overall, the Mac totally kicked the PC's booty- I don't have all the final numbers anymore, but I do remember that the Mac won all five games, by a wide, wide margin. It made it's moves in 1/3 the time, and pretty much dominated each match.
I knew at the time that the test wasn't perfectly scientific (I should have used the same program on both computers, for instance), but with what I had to work with, the project was a smashing success- I won both the first-prize "Blue Ribbon for Excelence", and the "Best Of Show" awards. I had a blast setting up both computers in the show hall and running matches while people (and the judges!) watched- I've still got some pix my mom took of me and the computers being swarmed by about 50 people, all waiting to see if the little Mac could really beat Big Blue! Ahhh, the memories...
As a result of the project, I was able to convince the administration at the grade school that Mac's were a far better investment, and they started buying two or three Macs for every one PC! Victory!

SpaceBoy
PS WooHoo! This is posting # 200 for me! Yeeeeeehaaaaaa!!!!

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"

Edited by - SpaceBoy on 23 May 2002 10:01:32Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  14:17:05
For a real competition, try running gnuchess on a 68k. It's the engine that makes Chess.app work.

Chess.app isn't a young gun. It comes with NeXTSTEP/OpenStep (and seems to run faster on a P166 than on OS X). Hey, there's an experiment: OpenStep Chess.app vs. OS X Chess.app! Wonder who'll win!

Macs Liberated:
SE (with SuperDrive), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400

PCs liberated from Windows: 3Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  18:14:48
Just run OS X Chess twice on a dual-screen G4...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  18:26:05
Just run OS X Chess twice on a dual-screen G4...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.