All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 how about liberated users?
Author Topic  
thelip

USA
729 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  15:13:01
Ok, again, i'll say that i'm new and I don't want to be too annoying, but how about a thread of liberated users w/ 68k macs. I am one of them. About 1.5 years ago, after many failed attempts of installing linux on my emachine, my friend introduced me to the q650 and things haven't been the same. I'm now up to many many macs, I swear that I'll never go back to the dark side. But that's not my only story.
Some family stopped by last weekend for my sister graduation party, and to make a long story short, my 6 year old cousin is a turned mac user. He found one of my all-in-ones and started it up for him, and he was entertained for minutes! which for this kid was very significant, trust me. He was also amazed when i plugged in my n64 to the video in on my 8500 so he could play games.
Going back to me, my friend and i now focus all of our powers at saving not only machines, but users too. If this was already discussed a long time ago, sorry about that and just ignore me. I'm bored and rambling before seeing sw II on the digital screen tonight. already saw it, but not digital. peace.

Working:
PM 8500 g3 420mhz (Daisy)
Quadra 950 w/ videovision studio card ;-) (Christina)
Quadra 650
Performa 476
PB 165
Classic
Newton 130

Non-working...
Too many to list... the pieces.

LeeMac
Trading Post Commander

USA
202 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  18:51:50
Hey, don't worry about annoying! some of us Mods were annoying, thats how they became Mods! Just don't get obnoxious that when the Sticks of Justice come out and beat you bloody!!!

Good point about saving souls from the dark side! I believe that we have enough different forums right now and if we add more it will just get to crazy around here. I suggest that we just post that type of post here in "General" or in "68k Conquests"

By the way it is nice to see you here and being so active! Keep on Mac-ing private!

General LeeMac M.A.C ( Mac Action Commando)
Trading Post Commander
68k's Liberated 0004
www.68kmla.comGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  19:13:42
I lost 6 teeth, red color in my left eye, and can never have kids, but hey I am a mod!

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  20:51:22
THAT was the single most funny thing that you have ever said, Ti!!!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

thelip

USA
729 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  21:02:54
yeah, in general is cool. Thanks for being inviting. I've been to a few other places where if you weren't around in the beginning, you were not welcome at all. Hey, i'll be active til they pry my cold, dead fingers from my adb mouse (apple2gs model, w/ the sweetest, heaviest ball, err... i mean... GOOD MOUSE, GOOD MOUSE).

Working:
PM 8500 g3 420mhz (Daisy)
Quadra 950 w/ videovision studio card ;-) (Christina)
Quadra 650
Performa 476
PB 165
Classic
Newton 130

Non-working...
Too many to list... the pieces.Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  22:12:18
Thats the spirit!

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  22:25:10
quote:

yeah, in general is cool. Thanks for being inviting. I've been to a few other places where if you weren't around in the beginning, you were not welcome at all.

yup! the kids here are a.o.k.! they even welcomed old guys like myself into their clubhouse. they have been very polite to me at any rate, i don't remember ever getting whacked with any sticks of justice. but then again, i think i might have mentioned something about having a 24 oz. framing hammer within reach most of the time!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2002 :  00:05:18
quote:

I've been to a few other places where if you weren't around in the beginning, you were not welcome at all.

That doesn't seem like good business practise...

But, welcome!

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2002 :  00:11:33
To go off topic I understand how these new internet communities are becomming evil places, SpyMac and MacRumors are always fueding, while MacAddict is going down the shitter, atleast only the forums I mean Windows for Addicts?!!

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2002 :  10:30:17
I agree- about a year ago, I noticed that the 'family'feel was being sucked right out of the MacAddict forums. Since moving here, I've only been back there a couple of times, and it was pretty sad. They really have gone down the tube- starting with that new super-crappy logo. Sigh.
As for liberated users, my biggest victory on that front was my sister and her husband. Right after they got married a few years back, my bro-in-law bought a refurb Acer PC from some mail-order catalog. He got pretty well ripped off (200mHz, 16 megs RAM, $1200!), but I did my best to help whenever the thing broke down, which was a lot! Seriously, I was happy if a few days went by without having to tear the hardware or software apart, just trying to keep it running. Worst computer I've ever been stuck using. My sister was ready to rip her hair out by fall of last year, so she and her husband started shopping around for a new PC. They went to the Gateway store, and were quite taken with one of the higher-end models there, mostly becase the salesman had told her that it came with a "DVD burner drive"- which meant a DVD-ROM drive that could burn CD-Rs. When I pointed this out to her, she was quite pissed and decided on the spot to not buy that system. I was able to get her to go to the Apple store (online- no brick-and-morter in Vegas... yet...) and scope out the sweet iMacs there. Finally, after much hand-wringing (and dubious looks from her husband, who's an old DOS user from way back- he used to call me a "mac nazi"when I wasn't around!), she ordered a 700 mHz iMac with CD-RW burner.
Well, to make a long story short, she absolutely loves her iMac, so much that she's since bought an iPod, and even got her hubby an iBook for christmas- which he now loves too! I've lost track of how many times they've both asked in dazed wonder, "how did we ever get along with a windows PC?!"
Not too shabby, eh?
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2002 :  13:08:18
Windows hasn't been totally evil to me. Although I love my macs a lot. I can't say that Windows has really been Hell for me. Could the dual-boot be keeping Windows in line?

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  04:26:47
quote:

I agree- about a year ago, I noticed that the 'family'feel was being sucked right out of the MacAddict forums. Since moving here, I've only been back there a couple of times, and it was pretty sad. They really have gone down the tube- starting with that new super-crappy logo. Sigh.

Agreed. With people like CopsodyX and iHate You, MAF really has gone down the gurgler. Thats why towards the end of last year, i finally packed my bags, loaded my goods into the removalist truck, and moved here permantly, full time, and have never looked back...

I must say though, i do miss Da Good Olde Days at MAF where everyone got on reasonably well with each other, and the only time when conflict really broke out was when a Mac basher came on the scene.

Just my 2¢.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  17:55:27
Actually, some of the Mac bashers were rather fun - it was good to see all the forum goers united as one vs. the trolls.

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.