Lounge
 New Duo Finally Arrives!
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  09:02:25
i've almost forgotten what it feels like to have a functional Duo outside of a Dock! my replacement 2300c came this morning and i'm in love! it's already got the trackball upgrade and the RAM is up to 48 Megs from the 36 on my crapped out keyboard 2300c! it's still 8 Megs short of maxed out, but i can live with it!

this arrival comes just the day after the biggest news of all: blackstealth, over at fritter, posted info on recelling duo batteries! yippee!

http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=68k;action=display;num=1020560648;start=

time to get some more info out of him! he gave a U.K. source for the replacements for the type one battery that he recelled, decent Duo Batts seem to be one of the wonders of the ancient laptop world! <rolleyes>

jt . .

p.s. did i mention that i was excited!?!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 20 May 2002 09:05:55

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  16:45:15
Blackstealth came thru!

quote:

Off the top of my head, the Type III batteries use 4/5 AF size NiMH cells. I did find a guide to replacing the Duo cells but after many changes of browser (and a new HD) I seem to have lost the link.

he even located that link!
http://www.fastlight.demon.co.uk/jg/duobatt.html

this is just too much for one day!

time to hack open a duo batt!

it's PLAYTIME!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  19:12:14
Cool!!!! Have fun!

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2002 :  10:10:33
I'm thinking about re-celling all three of my Duo batts now!!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2002 :  15:35:10
quote:

I'm thinking about re-celling all three of my Duo batts now!!

looks like about $40 a batt, does that sound right? how much are new ones? is BTI still making them?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2002 :  20:51:22
WOW.
Trash, you have found my Holy Grail. I have 3 Type III's that need recelling, that would give my Duo a battery life of 9+ hours! I will have the ultimate 68k laptop....
$40 per battery is a very good deal. I think a new battery would cost about $80. Where could I get cells in the US? That link he posted was to a UK shop.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2002 :  21:17:00
quote:

$40 per battery is a very good deal. I think a new battery would cost about $80. Where could I get cells in the US? That link he posted was to a UK shop.

yah! i figured you'd be excited when you saw it!

look again, i think he mentions that one of the links is to a US firm, that's where i got the $40 estimate.

you should check out the 2 hard drives in a duo thread, d has some interesting hacks on his duo!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.