Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 610 nubus adapter
Author Topic  
markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  22:52:41

Does anyone know if the 610 nubus adapter works in a 605.

I've found some sites that say yes and some that only mention the 610 for the adapter.

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  23:05:10
quote:

Does anyone know if the 610 nubus adapter works in a 605.

I've found some sites that say yes and some that only mention the 610 for the adapter.

i'd be interested in links to those sites that say it'll work. I can't imagine any way to get it to work other than to create a card to plug into the 040 socket that would have the connector (similar to a pci edgecard slot) for the adapter and a socket for the 040. that might very well work. the PDS in the 605 is an 030 subset of the 040 pds, one of the ASICS does the conversion as i recall. even that might possibly work, byt the connectors are all wrong. it would be interesting to try it.

i'd say the short answer would probably be no, but a hack might be possible. why do you ask?

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  23:14:52

The link that says it will work is at

http://www.sunrem.com/database/quadra605.html

I was thinking about putting a nubus card in the 605.
If that doesn't work I'll have to put it in my mac IIcx.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  23:22:06
quote:

The link that says it will work is at

http://www.sunrem.com/database/quadra605.html

I was thinking about putting a nubus card in the 605.
If that doesn't work I'll have to put it in my mac IIcx.

i think that's a case of crappy proofreading, they mean 610, read farther down note the mentions of ethernet and CDROM options. sorry, looks like it's IIcx time.

did you pick up one of the DSP cards or a PAS 16?

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  23:27:46
i was wrong about the CD, they said external, but they got the video resolutions wrong, the 605 does 21" they list the max as 19", but they give the dimensions for the 605. dunno, but i wouldn't trust very much of the info on that page!

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  23:31:02

No not yet.

I'm just wondering about the best way to do when I get one.

I might do it on my IIcx or get a nubus quadra.

I've got a lc580 lc575 and the 605 all without a nubus slot in sight.

On the IIcx I've only got the crappy mono video and I want to try and use it with my svga but can't test it at the moment cause I need to find some memory for it.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  23:43:25
quote:

On the IIcx I've only got the crappy mono video and I want to try and use it with my svga but can't test it at the moment cause I need to find some memory for it.

memory for the IIx or the video card?

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  23:57:05

The IIcx.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  01:35:40
Q610 NuBus adapters won't work, because of the differing slot design. IIsi ones do though, and are very cool, as it opens up all the possibilities of NuBus, plus some come with ethernet ports, letting you get the most out of your PDS. However, to do this you will need to either leave the case off the LC, or build a custom case for it. This trick works with any LC from the original to the 475.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  03:30:35

Thanks for the great tips.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  07:44:22
quote:

Q610 NuBus adapters won't work, because of the differing slot design. IIsi ones do though, and are very cool, as it opens up all the possibilities of NuBus, plus some come with ethernet ports, letting you get the most out of your PDS. However, to do this you will need to either leave the case off the LC, or build a custom case for it. This trick works with any LC from the original to the 475.

now THAT's interesting! i'm surprised i've never heard that one before, where'd you find out about that? you've probably just confirmed that the NuBusMiniDock hack will work!

jt ™. .

p.s. just did a doubletake, the IIsi adapter will work in the '020 PDS in the LC!?!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 May 2002 07:47:50Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  10:04:16
i just found a mention of an LCII with NuBus Ethernet in a Linux Newsgroup! now i'm curious about the FPU on the IIsi NuBus adapter, does that give your full FPU support on a 68lc040? if it does and the ethernet and NuBus will also work on a MiniDock hack, that's be one BAD@$$ 280 or 280c road rig!

the UltraDock has a TON of room in it, maybe i should try to get one of those. i think that might have been the dock that was intended for the PC Card reader that never shipped.

ok, now i'm excited about this! any links to IIsi Nubus adapters on other machines would be greatly appreciated.

jt ™. .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 May 2002 13:13:02Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  19:20:45
quote:

p.s. just did a doubletake, the IIsi adapter will work in the '020 PDS in the LC!?!

Probably not, IMHO. The PDS in the IIsi is the same size as the extended PDS in the LC III and later (its the 32bit, not the crippled 16bit of the LC and LC II)....

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  19:45:03
quote:

quote:

Probably not, IMHO. The PDS in the IIsi is the same size as the extended PDS in the LC III and later (its the 32bit, not the crippled 16bit of the LC and LC II)....

didn't sound right to me, but the signals are the same on the main part of the connector. if the connectors mate and the declaration ROM is in the lower half of the address space it'll try to work!

haven't found any documentation on any of this, anybody got a link?

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  23:29:56

Well I've compared the pds pinouts of the IIsi and 605 and nothing matches up.

The IIsi's PDS pins are designed to match the 030 signals and the 605's are designed to match the 040 signals.

However it might work in some sort of offbeat way.

I hope someone can verify that it works.

If it works it's just pure luck.

It's no wonder hardly anyones heard of it before.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  00:50:24
quote:

The IIsi's PDS pins are designed to match the 030 signals and the 605's are designed to match the 040 signals.

However it might work in some sort of offbeat way.

I hope someone can verify that it works.

If it works it's just pure luck.

It's no wonder hardly anyones heard of it before.

Actually, if you look at the following link, you will see that the MicroQuadra PDS is not a true '040 PDS, but actually an LCIII PDS. Therefore most tricks and boards that work on an LCIII (apart from caches, and accellerators) will work fine in the Q605.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13567

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

oh, i just found another KBase article which might help, which explains how the LCII uses the same PDS as the SE/30, which, AFAIK uses the same PDS as the IIsi. The link is:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=10308

Edited by - maclover5 on 20 May 2002 00:54:11Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  04:04:50

So the IIsi and 605 have 120 pin PDS slots and the PDS slot on the 605 is basically a 030 slot (like the IIsi) not a 040 slot.

The fpu on the IIsi adapter won't work because some address lines from the PDS slot get mapped to the primetime chip and this chip blocks the fpu acknowledge signals for the 605.

This primetime chip on the 605 emulates a few of the 030 cpu signals that the 040 doesn't have.

But the Ethernet on the adapter should work.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  04:23:44
quote:

So the IIsi and 605 have 120 pin PDS slots and the PDS slot on the 605 is basically a 030 slot (like the IIsi) not a 040 slot.

The fpu on the IIsi adapter won't work because some address lines from the PDS slot get mapped to the primetime chip and this chip blocks the fpu acknowledge signals for the 605.

This primetime chip on the 605 emulates a few of the 030 cpu signals that the 040 doesn't have.

But the Ethernet on the adapter should work.

And the NuBus support.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  04:34:13
quote:

yup, as i understood it the LC PDS in the 605 and the 630 were the 040 signals converted to an 030 PDS by an ASIC (prime time?) the same was true in the Duo 280 and the 2300c. where did you find the pinouts for the LC PDS, i'd love to be able to compare them to the DuoDock 030 interface.

i have the Guide to the Macintosh Family Hardware if you need any of the info from that's not online. there is a table of the signal variations between the SE/30 and the IIfx 030 PDS pinouts, but i don't have the spec on the IIsi for comparison. i've looked around for Designing Cards and Drivers for the Macintosh Family, but haven't found a copy of it yet, i may need to order it online.

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  04:48:29
quote:

And the NuBus support.

thanks for the links to those apple docs, do you have any to info on the systems that are successfully running NuBus on the LC PDS? i'm dying to see something. i also realized that the 2300c's ASIC might be a more functional revision, i wonder if the 280 ASIC blocks the FPU acknowledge signals. does it look like there should be a way to patch the logic board on the 605 to allow FPU access? it might have to be jumpered from mobo to adapter card if the signal path is severed at the EuroDin connector pin level, but a piece of wirewrap between boards ought to work. if several signals are lost a header/cable assembly might be brutal, but not entirely inelegant means of restoring functions apple swept aside. getting the IIe card to run on a 630 would be quite nice, but the NuBus adapter and a 24 bit 2 page video card would really be something.

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  04:55:45
quote:

quote:

And the NuBus support.

thanks for the links to those apple docs, do you have any to info on the systems that are successfully running NuBus on the LC PDS? i'm dying to see something. i also realized that the 2300c's ASIC might be a more functional revision, i wonder if the 280 ASIC blocks the FPU acknowledge signals. does it look like there should be a way to patch the logic board on the 605 to allow FPU access? it might have to be jumpered from mobo to adapter card if the signal path is severed at the EuroDin connector pin level, but a piece of wirewrap between boards ought to work. if several signals are lost a header/cable assembly might be brutal, but not entirely inelegant means of restoring functions apple swept aside. getting the IIe card to run on a 630 would be quite nice, but the NuBus adapter and a 24 bit 2 page video card would really be something.

I don't know of any people who are successfully using a setup such as this. However, i'm going to be a brave person and try it when i can get my hands on one of these things. I'd say though that the reason you wouldn't be able to use the FPU wiht the '040 is because the 68882 is designed to work in conjunction with a 68030, and nothing else.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  05:24:34
quote:

I don't know of any people who are successfully using a setup such as this. However, i'm going to be a brave person and try it when i can get my hands on one of these things. I'd say though that the reason you wouldn't be able to use the FPU wiht the '040 is because the 68882 is designed to work in conjunction with a 68030, and nothing else.

where did you hear about the possibility of doing it successfully?

it's common for Intel CoPros from the 80X86SX era to work across Processor generations, considering Motorola's much more serious commitment to cross generational pinout and instruction compatibility, i would not be at all surprised to find the 68882 functional with the 68LC040. the 68020 based Radius 16 had an optional 68881 that was perfectly happy to handle instructions from within the 68000 set. i don't know offhand for which processor it was originally intended, but it worked fine in the 68020 Mac II and i think it might have worked on some non apple 68000 systems, but i really don't remember. a look at the Unix workstations or laptops from that era might be a good way to find out if the info is no longer available from motorola.

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  05:54:27
quote:

it looks like all the pins in the SE/30, IIci and IIfx were identical with the exception of all three rows of pins 1 thru 4 and pin 38. the only trouble might be pin 40 in row B which was ground on the /30 and ci, but on the fx was pulled low and "the PDS replaces slot $E in the address map". hopefully, that is not the case in the IIsi NuBus adapter and probably wouldn't be as onboard video and any other pseudo slot function is normally assigned to slot $E ($0E) as is any function of a DuoDock that is not hardwired on the DuoDock connector such as ADB, sound and the modem interface. does anybody know the slot assignment of the IIsi NuBus adapter? i'm sure it can't be $E or onboard video would be disabled. (Slot $E and $0E ARE the same thing correct? i assume the discrepency is due to the convention differences between the book and TattleTech))

REQUESTS:

could any comrade with a functional IIsi please run TattleTech and confirm the assignment of the pdeudo slot video to NuBus slot $0E?

if anybody has the NuBus adapter installed in a IIsi, i would dearly love to know if the NuBus slot in the adapter is assigned to slot $0C or $0D as these are the assignments of the NuBus expansion slots in the DuoDock.

best of all would be to find a complete TattleTech Report (hardware only) saved as TXT in the emailbox you'll find by clicking on my userid!

tia,

jt ™. .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 20 May 2002 05:58:35Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  06:03:10

The primtime and pds pinouts are in

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-68K_Desktop/Mac_LC_475_Quadra_605.pdf

Theres basically 3 types of PDS slots: PDS, SE-PDS, LC-PDS.
All three are NOT compatible with each other.
PDS: SE/30, II series (IIsi, IIvx, etc)
SE PDS: plain SE
LC PDS: Color Classic, LC series (LC, LC II, LC520.....)

I still think it's odd that the IIsi Nubus adapter will work in both a PDS and LC PDS slot seeing that they are'nt compatible with each other.

Does a IIsi SE/30 PDS ethernet card work in a LC PDS slot.
From what I've seen only a LC PDS ethernet card will work in a LC PDS slot.

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  07:14:48

There is something called pseudo slots used by the slot manager and it's in the IIsi and LC.

The PDS card gets mapped to a Nubus Address and gets treated like it's a Nubus Card ( ie a device driver for a PDS slot can be a Nubus device driver) and there is also ROM firmware in the IIsi to manage Nubus slots.

So I would say the ROM firmware is also in the LC models as well (but is not used except for the psuedo slots Nubus device drivers) and there must be some communication with the Nubus adapter chip because the PDS slot pinouts are physically different on the IIsi and LC models and the Nubus adapter pinouts would have to be mapped to the different (IIsi LC) PDS pinouts.

So if all that happens I would say the IIsi Nubus adapter would work with the LC models.

Seems like some of this stuff is undocumented or not well known.

Also the 610 PDS is 040 PDS whereas the 605 PDS is LC PDS and the IIsi is O30 PDS.

The IIsi 030 PDS id different from the LC PDS even though they are both based on 68030 PDS.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  08:06:17
quote:

There is something called pseudo slots used by the slot manager and it's in the IIsi and LC.

Seems like some of this stuff is undocumented or not well known.

Also the 610 PDS is 040 PDS whereas the 605 PDS is LC PDS and the IIsi is O30 PDS.

The IIsi 030 PDS id different from the LC PDS even though they are both based on 68030 PDS.

there is a very good explanation of the pseudo slot setup in the Guide to the Macintosh Family Hardware it was first implemented in the IIci built in video. this was basically the Mac II NuBus interfade cards functional circuitry added directly to the i/o of the 030 without going thru any of the buffering or address multiplexing of a physical NuBus interface. this allowed the IIci and all subsequent onboard functions on macs to utilize the same toolbox calls and other ROM services as any other mac would whether it had physical NuBus implementation or not, which kept slot manager and other system and ROM instructions compatible across the product line in several generations of hardware.

it is probably a good bet that running TechTool on any mac with built in video will show that device as a pseudo slot $0E interface. this is one of the things that makes the apple profiler readouts so odd at times. it's probably safe to assume that all such macs will have the same slot manager capabilities and that NuBus could therefore be grafted successfully onto any mac with onboard video implemented!

if a device with a valid declaration ROM exists on a properly implemented NuBus chipset attached to a PDS (or to the pins of the CPU which is the same thing, less any mobo specific clock signals), a mac really has no choice but to attempt to deal with the functions defined in that declaration ROM. this could very well be an achilles heal allowing for expansion that's very much out of sync with the intentions of the closed box pushing idiots at apple!

jt ™. .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 20 May 2002 08:09:06Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  20:35:20

The PDS slot in a LC uses the memory address space occupied by a Nubus card in slot space $E.

Also on the PDS there is an interrupt line /SLOTIRQ.E which is the equivalent of the Nubus slot E interrupt.

Looks like the firmware in the LC's rom communicates with the PDS Nubus Adapter declaration rom and all the signal mapping from PDS to Nubus is set up allowing the PDS Nubus adapter to function as a Nubus slot.

This is the same for the IIsi.

The LC ROM firmware (for the Nubus Adapter) was probably included by Apple in case they offered a Nubus Adapter for the LC.

They probably didn't offer the LC Nubus Adapter because they might not have wanted to eat into the MacII sales.

I'm going to try my 605 with a IIsi Nubus Adapter when I get one.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  22:13:19
quote:

The PDS slot in a LC uses the memory address space occupied by a Nubus card in slot space $E.

Also on the PDS there is an interrupt line /SLOTIRQ.E which is the equivalent of the Nubus slot E interrupt.

Looks like the firmware in the LC's rom communicates with the PDS Nubus Adapter declaration rom and all the signal mapping from PDS to Nubus is set up allowing the PDS Nubus adapter to function as a Nubus slot.

This is the same for the IIsi.

The LC ROM firmware (for the Nubus Adapter) was probably included by Apple in case they offered a Nubus Adapter for the LC.

They probably didn't offer the LC Nubus Adapter because they might not have wanted to eat into the MacII sales.

I'm going to try my 605 with a IIsi Nubus Adapter when I get one.

i made a mistake in the preceeding post, the onboard video is usually slot $00 and any functions added via a PDS are handled as slot $0E. the 10BaseT card in my 605's LC PDS right now is being handled as a NuBus card in slot $0E. apple included the slot manager and the ability to handle NuBus in almost every mac as pseudo slot $0E was the way they wedged expansion cards of all kinds into the mac's i/o. they probably never planned to offer a NuBus adapter or any other physical NuBus implementation for the LC, but they needed to provide support for NuBus to enable the PDS cards to function within the existing framework of O.S. and firmware.

i'm going to have to get my 610 up and running to check on how it handles its PDS and to see if a NuBus card comes up as aslot $0E device or if it has a slot $0C or $0D assignment as are the slots on the gemini adapter on the DuoDock. somewhere i have the documentation on how the addresses are set on the cards/slots. as i recall there are four bits set somewhere in the hardware of the slot or the cards.

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2002 :  02:29:23

Does the IIsi nubus adapter work in the SE/30's PDS slot.

The SE/30 and IIsi have similar PDS slots.

The pinouts of both PDS slots appear to be about the same.

Fitting the Nubus card and the adapter would be a bit of a challenge in the SE/30 if it would work.

Are there any nubus ethernet cards for the SE/30 that use the IIsi nubus adapter.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2002 :  21:31:26
quote:

Does the IIsi nubus adapter work in the SE/30's PDS slot.

The SE/30 and IIsi have similar PDS slots.

The pinouts of both PDS slots appear to be about the same.

Fitting the Nubus card and the adapter would be a bit of a challenge in the SE/30 if it would work.

Are there any nubus ethernet cards for the SE/30 that use the IIsi nubus adapter.

there are some machine specific clock signal issues, but the slots are pretty much the same. info seems to be mixed as to whether cards are interchangeable or not. some of the IIsi NuBus adapters are ethernet adapters too!

check out these two cards, hopefully they are on the way here soon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2018266288&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1020041193&indexURL=0&rd=1

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2002 :  23:28:45

I saw on a website someone with a SE/30 and I think an asante PDS ethernet card.

The PDS asante ethernet card had a nubus out slot for a nubus card.

So that is one way to use nubus on the SE/30.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  01:51:19
quote:

I saw on a website someone with a SE/30 and I think an asante PDS ethernet card.

The PDS asante ethernet card had a nubus out slot for a nubus card.

So that is one way to use nubus on the SE/30.

Yeah. I've heard about that before. If my memory serves me correctly, he also swapped out the ROMs for some IIsi ROMs and fooled 8.1 into running on there.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  02:00:38
Unfortunately, i have some bad news to report.

I recently placed an LCII and a IIsi alongside each other and took the lids off both.

Unfortunately, the LC PDS is indeed smaller than the '030 PDS. What this means is that the IIsi NuBus adapter WILL NOT FIT, nor will it work.

Sorry to give you the bad news.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.