All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Stacks of Macs.
Author Topic  
AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  14:25:48
I went to the first day of Hamvention, a three day electronics fair near where I live, this morning. There are normally a bunch of Macs for sale there, but this year was especially profitable. I bought a Quadra 800 for five bucks, a Powerbook 145b for 20, an LC II for three dollars, an LC III for two dollars, and an SE FD/HD for $2.50. I also bought dozens of cables, finally found an HDI-45 adapter for a price I actually wanted to pay, and managed to get someone to part with one of those funky Apple ergonomic keyboards that unfold in the middle, after they spent fifteen minutes trying to sell me the 8500 it was plugged into and Mac II acellerator cards that I did not want to pay 40 dollars for. The guy I was with bought a portable Stylewriter for 10 dollars and a SE FD/HD from the same guy I did. For anyone in the Dayton area, there were literally hundreds of Macs that I did not buy, and they are open for two more days. Some guy had a pallet of 7100AV's for 20 dollars, and the woman I bought the Quadra from had a pallet of Mac monitors for 2 dollars each. The guy I bought the SE FD/HD from had a whole truck bed filled with them. I would say that most of these count as liberations (with the possible exception of the Powerbook) becuse generally speaking on the last day of Hamvention, the vendors throw unsold Macs into the dumpster so they don't have to pay to have them hauled back to whereever they are from.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  05:31:22
A nice score! If only they had that kind of thing in Perth...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  07:20:07
Where is this "Hamvention" located at?
What town/township?
I WANNA GO!!!!
I live around 20mi from downtown Dayton!
TELL ME PLEASE!!!!!!

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  11:17:23
Its at Hara Arena this Friday Saturday and Sunday. The bad part is that tickets cost 22 dollars and it costs 8 dollars to park. Its supposed to be a ham radio convention, but in the parking lot outside the arena their are swarms of people selling all kinds of electronic stuff. I went back today and bought a Duodock I and a Duodock 2 for 20 dollars, the guy threw in a Duo 270c with a busted screen and some other assorted powerbook bits. Some guy had one of those original hard disks that plugs into the floppy port on a compact Mac, HD 20's I think, but he would not part with it for less than 50 dollars, and I had just blown my last five bucks on a milk jug full of IC chips.

I tested all the stuff I bought yesterday, and it all worked except for the LC II, which has something wrong with the video output.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  13:55:38
quote:

Its at Hara Arena this Friday Saturday and Sunday. The bad part is that tickets cost 22 dollars and it costs 8 dollars to park. Its supposed to be a ham radio convention, but in the parking lot outside the arena their are swarms of people selling all kinds of electronic stuff. I went back today and bought a Duodock I and a Duodock 2 for 20 dollars, the guy threw in a Duo 270c with a busted screen and some other assorted powerbook bits. Some guy had one of those original hard disks that plugs into the floppy port on a compact Mac, HD 20's I think, but he would not part with it for less than 50 dollars, and I had just blown my last five bucks on a milk jug full of IC chips.

I tested all the stuff I bought yesterday, and it all worked except for the LC II, which has something wrong with the video output.

pernicious pizzabox pram problem possible perpitrator?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  14:00:39
oh. I know where its located now only to find out that I have to pay $22 to get in. Thanks anyway though.

MyForumOnDelphi:

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  15:29:37
About that LCII. Are you sure its not just a flat pram battery?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  16:22:35
It could be a dead pram battery, I have not had time to do much other than plug everything in and see if it powered up. I have just started to work on the Duo 270, since I actually know what is wrong with it. I ripped the upper clamshell off of it and tried to get it to boot from inside one of the Duodocks, but all it did was get halfway through the startup sequence before saying "Duodock" over the speaker and shutting down. The dock worked with two other Duos, so I am pretty sure it is an issue with the Duo.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:21Go to Top of Page

macaphile
Starting Member

USA
28 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2002 :  18:32:20
I need to find a place with stuff to sell up here in Maine, USA!

"Holy crap! A Mac can do that!"-Every PC user I talk to

Edited by - macaphile on 31 May 2002 18:33:09Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 02 Jun 2002 :  18:22:38
My GOD! I thought no one else on these forums went there!!!! I went too! I posted a while back in Feb. or so and no one even seemed to know what Hamvention was! Did you see the guy with all the powerbooks? I wanted his Duo but he wanted 250 bucks for it with the dock.I went to look back at another little 68k powerbook and someone had already got it for 20 bucks so mabey that was you?!Are you a ham? I thought about buying an LC or two but decided against it because I had spent far too much money.

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 02 Jun 2002 :  18:47:24
Yeah that guy in the first section that was selling the Powerbooks for 200+ dollars is there every year. The guy with the Powerbooks for 20 dollars was the one I bought mine from, when I was there he had two though. There was another guy who had Duos for 20 dollars that you may have missed becuase the Duos were buried under stacks of PC laptops. When looking for Macs, the best place is by far the back row in the second section, there was a guy back there this year who had stacks of Quadras for 2 dollars each. I am not a ham, but the high school I used to go to gave out free tickets each year, that is how I first started going.

On a side note, all of the Macs I got worked except for that LC, which was not dead becuase of the pram battery. The 270c with the busted screen worked once I removed the screen, and it had a 500 Mb hard drive full of software and 32 megs of ram (and the angels sing).

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  18:08:18
Yeah that guy who had the stacks of pc laptops had one duo and the screen was so busted I didn't even bother. He was the one with the Dell monitors.

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2002 :  19:55:56
I am about 4 hours from Dayton! I am good at making day trips for dumb reasons.

Midwest 68k MLA Summer meeting!

When is the next whatever this is?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  05:56:14
Unfortunately it only comes once a year, around May. So we will have to wait until next year.

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2002 :  06:19:49
I know. once a year. I've never even heard of it until this year.
I really want to go next year.

MyForumOnDelphi:

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.