BrickOvenCube/6/605/MicroQuadraCluster
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  09:51:01
BrickOvenCube/6/605

Last ditch effort so save the pizza boxes!

each cluster needs 6 identical of each (and 2 or more spares! )

Microquadra Mobos
PDS NIC's (with as many blinking LED's as Possible)
Fans
Speakers
DRAM SIMMS
VRAM SIMMS x 2

Additional items:

6 Cool looking heat sinks
6 6" neon tubes or misc. el string
6 2.5" SCSI HDD's (old PB 20's min. to ?)
1 low profile PC Power Supply (adapted)
1 6 Port Hub With Uplink (and LOTS of flashing LED's)
1 Floppy Drive
1 SCSI internal ZIP (mostly for looks HAR!™)
1 SCSI CDROM Drive - Bootable
6 Dozen LED's (minimum) for disk access indication
(and anything else that'll make the suckers blink!)

Lotsa custom ABCDEF TTL Switching Circuitry (simple crap!)
6 custom PCB or Ribbon Cable 2.5"- 3.5" Adapter/Switch/Term. Assy.
Several Braided Wiring Harnesses (Macrame anyone?)

Misc. 1/8" Aluminum Horizontal Chassis Plates
Misc. 1/2" Clear Plexi Vertical Case Members
Misc. 1/8" Clear Plexi Vertical Case Cover Plates

(think: lincoln logs meets glass skyscraper architecture building blocks)

Large helping of free time and much larger serving of insanity.

jt ™. .

p.s. did i mention that they are all clocked to at least 40 Mhz?

p.p.s. i think i need to do a graphic of a backplane, they all face front for visibility and to show the LED's on the NIC's. the bottom cover panel is just full of blinkin led's.

p.p.p.s. Cinemo, all your 840AV Clock Cycles are belong to 10.5" cube = pizzabox warming rack! HAR!™ . . .

. . . disk access we won't bother mentioning!

p.p.p.p.s. no spec. on what kind, but there WILL be feets!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 May 2002 10:18:36

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  10:28:37
That's nice! Looks alot like the projects I used to see in the DIY Speaker-Building circles. Well, assuming the speakers had their drivers exposed (as Apple seems attracted to doing, as well), that is!

POWER POWER POWER!!!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  10:57:08
quote:

assuming the speakers had their drivers exposed (as Apple seems attracted to doing, as well), that is!

POWER POWER POWER!!!

maybe just a little power!

of course the apeakers will be exposed!

actually big gaps around all the speakers and the hard drives let the cooling air into the central wiring well/airshaft and the fans blow it across the heatsinks and DRAM SIMMS then it exits thru large gaps around all the connectors on the face of the cube.

i think the bays need to be swapped so i can use the volume behind the 3.5" bays for the PSU. if the mobos all have ROM SIMM Slots, custom clear acrylic "PCB's" in them could hold the neon running front to back with the wiring connected to the loom in the well in the back. but it'll probably be monuted on standoffs from the aluminum chassis above.

dunno, hope something else gets done with all those microquadras, but this might be cool as a last resort.

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  11:51:50
Instead of feets, how about rubber rockers so it can be wheeled around?

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  12:45:48
quote:

Instead of feets, how about rubber rockers so it can be wheeled around?

huh? it's only a 10.5" cube! maybe feets and a plexi carry handle like an ice bucket?

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  17:58:37
quote:

huh? it's only a 10.5" cube! maybe feets and a plexi carry handle like an ice bucket?

jt ?. .

How about feets on all six surfaces of your cube. That way you can orient the mac any way you want (and maximize the feets). What's the codename for this thing called anyhow: pizzacube? cubenmac?, LC^3?, mac pack'o flat pack macs?.

g4from128k

------------
-- The Liberated: PB 190cs, Outbound 2030E, Performa 450
-- The Originals: 128k, Mac II
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema Display

Edited by - g4from128k on 17 May 2002 17:59:08Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  06:11:38
Cool one, JT! You actually gonna build it?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  06:52:32
quote:

Cool one, JT! You actually gonna build it?

thanks, i hope not, but if all those 'zaboxes are only gonna make it a few feet closer to NYC by getting buried, i think i'll foot the bill to get the parts here to build one for myself and make the parts for one to send to babyB if he wants them. if anybody else wanted to save a few of the mobos/goodies from the fate of the pit, maybe i'll digitize the parts and have a buddy turn 'em out on his routertable and laser cutting equipment. he owes me bigtime for designing the production layout of his shop, but he'll probably try to charge me anyway! we'll see!

any suggestions for refining the design would be appreciated. the look is basically all clear plexi cover panels attached to thick plexi block verticals laminated with aluminum chassis/cooling fin horizontal members that protrude from the sides of th cube to give it a thechier feel and break up the outlines of the cube (to make it look like i did it on purpose rather than to make fabrication easy, also!).

i wasn't sure if the look would come across from the plan views, it is pretty clear what i'm going for? do the six rows of backplane connectors sound appealing, it's a takepff of the XServe rack pizza oven, obviously.

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  17:07:06
went back into illustrator to create the mobo/connector graphics to better show the BrickOvenCube Top Cutaway and Front Views.

hey, B! have they buried all those poor pizza boxes yet? what do the ethernet cards look like?

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2002 :  10:41:17
somebody wanted details over at fritter, so i'll post 'em here too:

quote:

quote:

Question: How are you going to interface the single set of cd / floppy / zip drives with 6 motherboards? How are you going to interconnect the machines (Ethernet??) How about display / input? 6 way kvm switch? Would it really be necessary to scrounge up all those vram simms if the machines are operating in a cluster?? Interesting Idea, while relatively useless (don't get me wrong, I loved my quadra 605), it would just TOTALLY rock!

the whole thing would be pretty much entirely worthless in any real terms, like all the rest of my 68k's and even my 2300c's by any rational standard! but i'll never give them up or my nikon F's or the professional level nikon, leica and canon rangefinders/lens sets in my collection, it's the same kinda thing in my book!

all the 475/605's have PDS NICs, so if they are thinnet that'd look very cool running up and down the face, if they're 10baseT that'd look good running down to a hub built into the black panel on the bottom front. Video and ADB will either be IDC/Ribbon cable runs from the mobo connectors to the custom PCB's or maybe a woven loom of wire wrap wire patches to the PCB or a header pin interface, dunno, whatever looks the best, this is kind of an LED/neon/lighting/digital sculpture project.

i'm leaning toward building TTL gating into custom circuit boards that will allow chip select (probably a one of eight selector circuit, so the removables could be accessed from any of the BrickOven's six microquadra boards or from either of two macs hooked into it, so it'd be doing double duty as an external drive enclosure/KVM. (not entirely worthless after all! )

PCB function/physical interface spec:

* top of board adapts 2.5" drives to 50 pin internal bus

* LED's for Disk access (& anything else i can think of) also are mounted on top of pcb.

* 2.5" drives are bolted to PCB with short standoffs

* PCB's are mounted to mobo carrier plate with standoffs

* KVM connections (thru holes for external D-Sub and DIN connectors as well as internal header connections and built in sense pin configuration via jumpers. also thru holes for internal drive a/o external SCSI connector for use as in external drive enclosure/KVM mode.

PCB bottom side TTL circuit gate switching spec:

when pcb is enabled by outside selector circuit signal:

* built in KVM gates are enabled for dedicated mobo or attached macs.

* floppy interface gates are enabled

* SCSI bus "or" gates disable connection to terminator resistor pack for 2.5" drive and enable extended connection to the terminated removables bus.

________

haven't thought it all that far through as i'm in no hurry to build it. i'm really hoping other homes can be found for all the machines. i may start saving up the components to build one out of damaged 475/605's tho!

jt

=8-}

p.s. if it looks better, i'll hang the drives from the bottom of the PCB and expose the custom TTL and connectors, dunno, gotta dummy up a model to see how everything fits and looks irl.

jt ™. .

Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  01:08:20
quote:
hey, B! have they buried all those poor pizza boxes yet? what do the ethernet cards look like?

I'm pretty sure they haven't.... The upgrade they're going thru is a gradual process, so I'm hoping that I can keep them trickling in my direction...and then trickling out again to new homes. I've picked up 8 so far (5 605s and 3 475s) of which I have homes for at least 5 (crossed fingers). I just heard there's another 8 waiting for me already...

The ethernet cards are mostly Farallon Ethermac LCs... 10 Base T only... except for one "bisexual" card with 10 BT and coax.

Good luck with your brickoven hack. I wish it was practical for me to donate some hardware to the cause .

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
4 LC 475s
6 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 PowerComputing Powerbase 240
1 Wallstreet
and a partridge in a pear tree

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  08:46:06
quote:

quote:

Good luck with your brickoven hack. I wish it was practical for me to donate some hardware to the cause .

just keep up the good work, comrade!

if you get a sudden influx that you can't find placements for quickly enough, i'd appreciate it if you'd pull the components and set them aside for me! i'll pay the freight to get them here, but it'd be a lot better if you can find loving homes for all of them!

jt ™. .

p.s. if you should be overwhelmed or become ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you can't eventually find homes for ALL of them before my brother is in sydney in june, freight wouldn't cost me more than a few rounds of fine local brew for the two of you!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 22 May 2002 08:47:27Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2002 :  20:43:27
the SETI@home thread got me back into this project again. i felt like wasting some time today, so i refined my BrickOven graphics somewhat by adding the NIC's/LED's, dumping a graphic overlay on the 2.5" HDD's for clarity, and doing a simple rendering of the CR-ROM bezel and correcting the widths of the drives.

http://homepage.mac.com/jwt1863/.Pictures/HACKS/BrickOven/BrickOven35.jpg

maybe i will try to build this thing even if i have to use serviceable macs . . . . .

. . . . . maybe?

jt ™. .

p.s. added some feets to it while i was at it also!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 25 May 2002 20:46:10Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2002 :  05:49:45
if you use 6 LC475s it'd be a formidibal cube. I dunno how you'd use all 6 at once, maybe a distributed computing system. If you have the cases left over save a couple. When I've got the money to cover postage (in about 2 months maybe) I'll pay to have 2 shipped as bare case & psu sets.

Still looks very cool tho

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Jun 2002 :  14:58:22
quote:

if you use 6 LC475s it'd be a formidibal cube. I dunno how you'd use all 6 at once, maybe a distributed computing system. If you have the cases left over save a couple. When I've got the money to cover postage (in about 2 months maybe) I'll pay to have 2 shipped as bare case & psu sets.

Still looks very cool tho

thanks, glad you like it!

i'll save the lifeless carcasses for you so i won't feel quite so guilty about eviscerating the poor little devils!

jt ™.
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Jul 2002 :  17:10:26
WOOHOO! Performa 475 nabbed for $5.60 on eBay a few minutes ago! i just have to pick it up downtown! also got my first 2 LED Asante PDS NIC today, with the shipping it'll end up costing more than the freakin' pizzabox even including the two subway fares! <rolleyes>

that leaves just:

(4) mobos
(4) 2.5" SCSI HDD's
(5) NIC's and
(6) 33 MHz 68040's

that remain to be acquired!

jt ™.
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s. i can't withstand the urge to mod a half dozen 'zaboxes!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 08 Jul 2002 17:17:20Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2002 :  11:39:36
Great idea, jt, but on the 'fritter thread, did you not have a link to the cluster project that would work for them?
are you still going to import those microquadra boards?, because if you are, I have intrest as well.
thanks
CCC

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2002 :  19:14:04
quote:

that leaves just:

(4) mobos
(4) 2.5" SCSI HDD's
(5) NIC's and
(6) 33 MHz 68040's

that remain to be acquired!

Yikes! Those 2.5" SCSI HDDs are gonna be expensive/hard to acquire! Why not half-height 3.5"?

For the 33 MHz 68040s, why not just get a bucket full of 25 MHz 68040, heatsink, that glue stuff, and and overclock 'em?

I would think those NICs are a dime-a-dozen on 'Bay...or am I terribly mistaken?

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2002 :  18:00:02
quote:

Yikes! Those 2.5" SCSI HDDs are gonna be expensive/hard to acquire! Why not half-height 3.5"?

For the 33 MHz 68040s, why not just get a bucket full of 25 MHz 68040, heatsink, that glue stuff, and and overclock 'em?

I would think those NICs are a dime-a-dozen on 'Bay...or am I terribly mistaken?

i don't need more than 20-80 meg boot drives so they shouldn't be too bad. other than booting and a distributed processing app i won't need much space for anything. AFAIK. most anything i'd wanna do woud be using the server space i would think.

3.5's are WAY too big for a cube form factor and the 2.5's will look cool bach in there. i need to build a Custom PCB for the KVM and SCSI/termination switchbox so it might as well be a drive adapter/carrier too. there's gonna be lotsa flashing LED's on this little PCB too!

jt ™.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 09 Nov 2002 :  15:55:14
ooOOOOoooo... I've been inspired... now i need a case about 2 feet wide, 2 feet deep and 4 feet tall for about 10 Quadra 8x0 mobos (800 or 840) (the extra space in the corner can be used for ventilation) A KVM switch knob built into the right side (like a pinball table) and keep an apple 14 incher, keyboard II and bus mouse on the top... and then an external CD drive and floppy drive (thru an adaptor of some sort, internal to external) for when i need to do installations and things like that

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 09 Nov 2002 :  22:21:29
how far did this project progress? is it built yet?

-------------
Special Ops, 578th Performa Division
Fort Llama, Memphis Tennessee

68k Macs Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2002 :  02:43:36
quote:

how far did this project progress? is it built yet?

-------------
Special Ops, 578th Performa Division
Fort Llama, Memphis Tennessee

68k Macs Liberated: 2

iDon't think so.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2002 :  10:22:31
I've been collecting parts, but I'm not in a hurry.

I decided that it probably will get built after I finish the three hacks I've actually started already. It's probably not going to be for parallel processing tho. I think each layer will have a different PDS card, one for PAS16, one for network connection and anything else I can find to play with, it might be fun.

jt ™.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2002 :  12:28:45
hehehe... After we move to AZ... I'll need to do some sort of hardware hack other than the TabletMac100 (although... i will need to rebuilt TabletMac100 when i get there... unless i can makt it fit inside of the IW)

I forgot... does this project encompass a shared power supply? or just a built in power strip :)

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2002 :  14:04:27
quote:

I forgot... does this project encompass a shared power supply? or just a built in power strip :)

One AT or ATX PSU will be the only way to power it, there's only 4 or 5 watts available on a MicroQuadra to run anything other than its own base config, Apple PSU's are the worst on the planet.

Everything else is meant to be a custom KVM/SCSI bus switching setup with each node built into the adapter board under each 2.5" HDD so that each mobo has a tiny boot disk and shares one Big@$$ IDE drive with an ACARD IDE->SCSI bridge, if I ever find one of the 10/100 Ethernet LC Slot NICs, it'll make the BrickOven a sexy server for my network!

jt ™.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Nov 2002 :  22:58:11
hmm... sounds good...
What might be some uses for a MicroBrickOven or Qluster?

RenderFarm
SETIfarm
Collective computing power ServerFarm
Because it's cool
I'm bored
To run tests

at any rate... I'd love to see pics of the final product... and good luck!

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  02:35:09
quote:
To run tests

....what is it with you and "tests"?

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  13:21:03
NO! I'm not an alien that's afducting humans one by one and running *cough* tests! NO, how could I be?

it's just fun to compare different computers... pit them against each other in competition to see who'se is best

think... a BrickOven would likely beat a single proc 840 or 950 right?

then it might beat an 8100, or even more MHz macs!

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.