Lounge
 iNkwell
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2002 :  21:57:44
Here's another case design I sketched up. This one is based around a larger version of the new iMac's circular motherboard in a donut-like bottom case with 3 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot. The top, detachable tower (the "cap" of the inkwell), holds two 5.25" drives and two 3.5" drives. Each are or separate IDE buses, the 5.25" on a standard ATA-100 and the 3.5" on a fast ATA-133 bus.

Here it is!!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2002 :  22:24:51
Looks like ehhh a bong, but hey you can use the top to reheat cold pizza!

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2002 :  23:28:33
quote:

Looks like ehhh a bong, but hey you can use the top to reheat cold pizza!

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

or you could take out the fan and have yourself an iChimney!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  05:26:43
Good thermal design!! Looks vaguely like the base of a lava lamp. I wonder is the unit's heat would be enough to get the lava flowing?

Of course, I'd like to see a upside down iMac (a !Wgc???) with a rectangular base and a circular screen. I used to use a timeshared CDC 6400/6600 mainframe whose operator console had a two cool circular green CRT screens that displayed the machine's state. The screen was drawn with vector graphics and it could spew umpteen bazillion characters per second anywhere on the screen (you could almost watch the realtime trace of the machine's PC/address registers). (shows you how old I am, I guess)

g4from128k

------------
-- The Liberated: PB 190cs, Outbound 2030E, Performa 450
-- The Originals: 128k, Mac II
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  08:46:47
Having that seperate drive assembly reminds me of an IBM a friend of mine has/had. There were 2 units. The first, a tower of sorts, sat on the floor. That had a few drive bays in it. The second unit sat on the desk. As I remember, it was very pizza-box-esque. It had the floppy and I *think* the CD...don't know quite where the mobo was...but I guess your design just made me think of it...

*feeling stream-of-conscienceness-esque*

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  10:05:25
Thanks for your comments! Now if I can just persuade JT to try and build the monstrosity! Well, that and conjure up a circular Dual 1GHz mobo...

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  10:38:15
quote:

Thanks for your comments! Now if I can just persuade JT to try and build the monstrosity!

woooo! nothing like a nice STRAIGHTforward design aesthetic! is there a single flat surface or straight line? . . . well . . . the lid, but i'm sure that'll be domed in the final rev.

2 words: FOUND OBJECTS! a lathe is one thing i don't have!

check out a decent plastics supplier and see if they have the plexi domes and tubes you'll need, unless you know a glaxxblower who wants to showcase something on the web! could throw pots, but might wanna see thru. check out the BrickOven Microquadra Cube Cluster. maybe you could go with layered/laminated flat clear rings and tube sections along with a couple of dome sections. i like the clean angled modern look. but yours appeals to me in a kitchen equipment kinda way, maybe you could mix and match glass bowls at _______?________ ?

dunno, but mount your drives vertically in pairs for better airflow if you wanna make it totally impossible!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  11:21:10
Toldja it was more realistic, JT!

I seriously do want to build it, and I wasn't sure whether you had plastic-fabrication machinery, and apparently you don't! But, that's okay, I know a lot of folks at CalArts and there's a ton of plastic-machining-houses in the Valley that I can check out for a possible one-off (funds withstanding). Just wanted to get your opinion, really!

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  17:09:33
Darn, I thought that was a new Krupps coffeemaker:)

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.