All Forums
 Lounge
 Pizza-lovers guide to pizzabox macs
Author Topic  
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2002 :  12:24:08
Danger! This topic contains demented analogies!!!
Here's a list of pizza terms for those who love pizzabox Macs.

* the pizza -- the mobo inside the box
* delivery box -- the casing
* the crust -- the printed circuit board of the mobo
* toppings -- the chips
* cheese pizza -- factory stock box (no added ram, vram, pds, ifs, ands, or buts)
* pizza w/ extra cheese -- higher-end version of the factory model
* veggie pizza -- mobo w/ added "V"ram
* mushroom pizza -- mobo w/ more Memory (double-mushroom pizza has two slots filled)
* pepperoni pizza -- mobo w/ added 68882 copro (Ok, so its only a single pepperoni)
* stuffed-crust pizza -- mobo with some cool PDS board
* jalapeno pizza -- overclocked mobo (hot)
* cheesy-bread/crazy-bread -- the floppy drive (oldmacman will agree that floppies are a cheesy way to store data)
* cinna-bread/cinnasticks -- the HD (cuz you store all your sweet data here)
* can'o Coke -- the PSU (Ok, so it's not cylindrical, but at least it's metal)
* pasta -- the rat's nest of cables that come with every liberation

Still looking for good mac-side analogies for the mouse'n keyboard (ravioli'n calzone?), feets, various ports?. Still looking for good pizza-side analogies too: pineapple pizza, anchovies, brunt pizza, cold leftover pizza, 30-minute deliveries, etc.

Modifications and suggestions are welcome!

g4from128k

------------
-- The Liberated: PB 190cs, Outbound 2030E, Performa 450
-- The Originals: 128k, Mac II
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema Display

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2002 :  13:18:00
The garlic sauce that Papa John's always gives you is the programmer's switch. It always comes with the pizza, but you never use it.

The really slow pizza delivery boy is the serial port. It delivers your data to/from the printer, modem, or AppleTalk network, but it takes forever.

I do agree on the crappiness of floppies. However, at least they're better on the Mac than on the PC. My pizza-box 6100 will read floppies that my PC-using friends thought were corrupt.

Macs Liberated:
SE (with SuperDrive), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400

PCs liberated from Windows: 3Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2002 :  14:08:28
So would that make LCs with two floppy drives "Cheeze lovers pizzas"? And what would a supreme pizza be? Maxed out ram and vram maybe.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2002 :  14:41:19
quote:
The garlic sauce that Papa John's always gives you is the programmer's switch. It always comes with the pizza, but you never use it.

Well, then I must be a programmer, because I can't get enough of that stuff! I would drink it, if they put it in a bigger cup.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2002 :  19:30:53
I wasn't aware that pizza boxes had programmer's switches! They must be of the detachable variety a la Plus?

*thinks*

waaaaiiit a minute...they'res no room for a programmer's switch! the whole top comes off!! Perhaps you peoples are talking 'bout the red mobo reset button?

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 16 May 2002 19:45:06Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2002 :  19:49:27
I haven't taken the 6100 out of the closet a while, but I remember the programmer switch being on the back of it. It's not like on the compact Macs where it sticks out the side. I think there are two recessed plastic switches; one for reset and one for the debugger. I'm not sure though.

Macs Liberated:
SE (with SuperDrive), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400

PCs liberated from Windows: 3Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  05:42:24
The pizzaboxes lacked programmer's switches, true.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  05:50:41
quote:

waaaaiiit a minute...they'res no room for a programmer's switch! the whole top comes off!! Perhaps you peoples are talking 'bout the red mobo reset button?

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice?
--------------------

Actually, the Performa 450 I just got does not even have the mobo reset switch -- just a small square of solderpads marked "RESET". I wonder .... if I lick my finger and touch those pads, maybe the impedence will be low enough to trigger a reset.

g4from128k

------------
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2002 :  06:07:05
quote:

quote:

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice?
--------------------

Actually, the Performa 450 I just got does not even have the mobo reset switch -- just a small square of solderpads marked "RESET". I wonder .... if I lick my finger and touch those pads, maybe the impedence will be low enough to trigger a reset.

g4from128k

------------
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema Display

All LCIII mobos i have seen have the solder pads there. no cuda reset button though. Maybe one day someone should go to work and actually wire one up...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  18:06:20
Thanx to everyone for all the added analogies:
* slow delivery guy -- the serial port for networking (I like how pizza places tell you "30 minutes" and it takes an hour the same way that Localtalk file transfers tell your "5 seconds remaining" for like a minute)
* garlic sauce -- cuda switch or programmer reset button (some people love it, some people hate it, some people don't know what to do with it)
* cheese-lovers pizza -- a dual floppy config for twice the cheesy removable storage
* warming oven -- a whole stack of pizzas in a frame
* supreme pizza -- a seriously maxed out machine

Only problem? SiliconValleyPirate informed me in no uncertain terms that Pizzabox is a horribly insulting term. The proper term is Flat Pack Macs, said the pirate. Hovever, I think that makes it sound like a herd of squashed computers (is it Flatpack Macs or Flat Packmacs?) .

I guess its back to the drawing board on the demented analogies.

g4from128k

------------
-- The Contraband: 7585e & 8575G3 FrankenMacs, Pismo PB, G4/450 AGP Tower mit Cinema DisplayGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2002 :  18:20:13
quote:

Thanx to everyone for all the added analogies:
* slow delivery guy -- the serial port for networking (I like how pizza places tell you "30 minutes" and it takes an hour the same way that Localtalk file transfers tell your "5 seconds remaining" for like a minute)
* garlic sauce -- cuda switch or programmer reset button (some people love it, some people hate it, some people don't know what to do with it)
* cheese-lovers pizza -- a dual floppy config for twice the cheesy removable storage
* warming oven -- a whole stack of pizzas in a frame
* supreme pizza -- a seriously maxed out machine

Only problem? SiliconValleyPirate informed me in no uncertain terms that Pizzabox is a horribly insulting term. The proper term is Flat Pack Macs, said the pirate. Hovever, I think that makes it sound like a herd of squashed computers (is it Flatpack Macs or Flat Packmacs?) .

I guess its back to the drawing board on the demented analogies.

g4from128k

------------

well, the way that The Hackintosh is going, after i get more ram, vram, and storage it'll be a supreme pizza...

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  05:43:55
Well, the 'official' name is pizzabox. Sorry, but I never heard of FPM before a short while ago.

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  07:37:55
quote:

Well, the 'official' name is pizzabox. Sorry, but I never heard of FPM before a short while ago.

Whazzat . . . Feets Per Mac?

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 May 2002 07:39:35Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  08:07:42
Flat Pack Macs. You know, the ones mentioned above?

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  07:59:50
quote:

Mayor of NuBus City

Great, as a pizza-lover myself, I am glad that the 'official' name is the more informal "pizzabox". Flat Pack Mac sounds just a little too industrial for a product whose start-up screen has a smiley-face on it. I guess the challenge with all things 68k is achieving that elusive balance between somber respect and fun frivolity for insanely great products -- there is a thin gray line between blasphemy and exuberance.

BTW, ~Coxy, as the Mayor you would know the answer to this. Is the key to Nubus City the startup key for someone's Quadra 950?

g4from128k

------------

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  08:22:27
Being a biased MacroQuadra owner, and due to the lack of any other 68k Macs with keyswitches, I would have to say yes.

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  08:45:40
Hmmm .. adding keyswitches to other 68k's would be a fun little hack. Now if I could just hack the start-up sound to be something correspondingly impressive.....

g4from128k

------------

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  08:52:42
quote:

Being a biased MacroQuadra owner, and due to the lack of any other 68k Macs with keyswitches, I would have to say yes.

DuoDocks/NuBus/sexy notebook Duo expansion bay setup, WITH KEY! (albeit, not actually for startup!)

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2002 :  17:23:03
It wouldn't be too hard-
Cheap keyswitch - $7.50 AUS
Drillbit - $2.50
Hookup wire - $0.50
Not having annoying family members start up your computer when you aren't around - priceless.

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2002 :  00:20:44
quote:
Now if I could just hack the start-up sound to be something correspondingly impressive.....

Vroooooom!!!!!!

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.