68k Hacks
 QuadraDock 22,000
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  09:46:43
Hola! Yesterday at work I made a sketch of an idea for a DuoDock with a built-in LCD screen, but situated as a tower instead of a desktop case. Here it is!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  10:33:30
Oh yeah, and I'm working on a design for a new case, I've already shown it to two PC heads and they think it's pretty cool. Maybe I can get JT to build it for me! I'll have to scan and post it tomorrow.

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  10:38:07
quote:

Oh yeah, and I'm working on a design for a new case, I've already shown it to two PC heads and they think it's pretty cool. Maybe I can get JT to build it for me! I'll have to scan and post it tomorrow.

cool, and raWr had better care one way or another or he's dead meat!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  10:45:37
Hey JT, what do you think of my QuadraDock? I was just thinking that maybe the LCD screen should hinged from the back of the tower case, that way when it's closed it won't be exposed to fingerprints/dust/beverages. It would also help for limited desktop space, by having the screen at a good viewing distance, instead of right at the front. What say you?

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  11:22:30
quote:

Hey JT, what do you think of my QuadraDock? I was just thinking that maybe the LCD screen should hinged from the back of the tower case, that way when it's closed it won't be exposed to fingerprints/dust/beverages. It would also help for limited desktop space, by having the screen at a good viewing distance, instead of right at the front. What say you?

i was going to suggest it! that's what i've spec'd for an lcd on a compact macquarium/removable drive breakout box for a tower or as an adjunct to a duo/minidock combo, but i'd do it in portrait mode (gee, imagine that! <rolleyes>) love your concept, i'll mull it over and respond tonight!

i just got 3 duo mobos and a pile of parts on eBay for my BoomBoxDock hack! i wonder if the 280 board will work? yeeha! did you get a chance to look over any of the crud i sent you?

jt . .

p.s. are you a southpaw by any chance?

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 15 May 2002 11:26:18Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  11:39:00
quick questions:

where's the third NuBus slot coming from?

are you using a dock or a minidock as the basis for the expansion?

you're using the PAS 16 for the stereo i/o?

which lcd and how is it interfaced?

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 15 May 2002 11:40:09Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  13:51:18
well this was purely fictional, I didn't really think any of the details out, but here goes:

The case is based around a Quadra 800 (obviously), but with the large slot in the front for the 'book, and the slots cut in the top for a slot-loading CD-ROM and a floppy disk drive.

The Mobo would also be from a Quadra 800, thus giving 3 Nubus slots and one PDS slot (which would somehow be used to interface with the Duo 'book). Two of the Nubus slots would have to be taken up by an audio card to get 44.1/16-bit audio I/O and 4MB of VRAM, so we'll just say there's one free Nubus slot.

The LCD would be from a Kanga G3 'book, 12.1", 800x600. Scratch the 1024x768 max res. The LCD would somehow be interfaced with the Nubus video card using an analog-to-digital converter.

Um, yeah. My next design is a little more realistic...

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  14:13:49
quote:

Um, yeah. My next design is a little more realistic...

why!?! mine never seem to be!

how'd you like the '59FinMac?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  14:37:32
I'm putting the finishing touches on it right now...it's based around the shape of an inkwell. The mobo goes in the bottom and the top serves as a drive tower!

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.