68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  01:04:55
Is that interfacing with the floppy drive???

Anyway, wasn't someone writing WiFi drivers which may allow wireless cards to work on a PB500 series card cage?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  03:42:56
quote:

Hmm...now that i take a second look at it, it does look like its sitting in the floppy drive...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  06:16:12
quote:

quote:

Hmm...now that i take a second look at it, it does look like its sitting in the floppy drive...

an informal workgroup is developing over at fritter that is examining the wireless problem (albeit for 2300c's at this point) but i'd wager that the principles are the same for the i/o wedge. take a look at this thread for leads:

http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=hacks;action=display;num=1019078601;start=0

hey Ti! start a parallel hack workgroup in your forum and see if blackstealth and T.O. are receptive to the idea of a little cross pollination of the hack fora. i just mentioned that notion to T.O. in a forum code bug report yesterday. bothe places could use more activity and this'd be a lot of fun from the 68k perspective too!

jt . .

p.s. hey ~coxy! i'm not sure that breaking down the take from that site into the SIG threads isn't a really GOOD idea. might wanna think about unlocking that newton thread. dunno, just a thought, we could use the generation of a little more interest and activity around here of late, especially newtville!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 14 May 2002 06:26:36Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  10:35:32
If no one decided to translate it to english...

In English:

Which for a beautiful Flop! Debt to it is however not Apple, but France Telecom. Start of the nineties had decided the France Telecom to structure in France one of the first radio telephone networks, the " Bi Bop ". One began the structure of this network with the installation of several thousands - fastened on walls or strassenlaternen - " Bi Bop's ". These were connected with the fixed network and took a radio radius off of in each case 200 meters. Differently than with GSM radio telephones it was to be changed not possible from a radio radius to the next. One left its radius the connection was cut off. There were several years before air port arrangements between Apple and France Telecom over exclusive radio frequencies. Bi bop 1993 meet Apple and France Telecom, in order to create type of status for the PowerBook a 180c with the designation PowerBop. To the place of the floppy disk drive comes a combination adapter, which modem, which " Bi Bop " sender and a small, retractable antenna contains. The floppy disk drive was then supplied in external version. The software made a connection to the network with " Bi Bop ". Off then one arrived at the same manner as with a standard modem in the network. Finally the France Telecom with the adjustment of the " Bi Bop " (only in Paris and Strasbourg installed was) forced to terminate also Apple their idea from the wireless network to.

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  11:55:53
quote:
Which for a beautiful Flop! Debt to it is however not Apple, but France Telecom. Start of the nineties had decided the France Telecom to structure in France one of the first radio telephone networks, the " Bi Bop ". One began the structure of this network with the installation of several thousands - fastened on walls or strassenlaternen - " Bi Bop's ". These were connected with the fixed network and took a radio radius off of in each case 200 meters. Differently than with GSM radio telephones it was to be changed not possible from a radio radius to the next. One left its radius the connection was cut off. There were several years before air port arrangements between Apple and France Telecom over exclusive radio frequencies. Bi bop 1993 meet Apple and France Telecom, in order to create type of status for the PowerBook a 180c with the designation PowerBop. To the place of the floppy disk drive comes a combination adapter, which modem, which " Bi Bop " sender and a small, retractable antenna contains. The floppy disk drive was then supplied in external version. The software made a connection to the network with " Bi Bop ". Off then one arrived at the same manner as with a standard modem in the network. Finally the France Telecom with the adjustment of the " Bi Bop " (only in Paris and Strasbourg installed was) forced to terminate also Apple their idea from the wireless network to.

Man, you just know you've studied too long when this all makes perfect sense! Blllaaaaaarrrggghhhh!
SpaceBoy <face-down into the keyboard>

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  12:01:25
quote:

To the place of the floppy disk drive comes a combination adapter, which modem, which " Bi Bop " sender and a small, retractable antenna contains. The floppy disk drive was then supplied in external version. The software made a connection to the network with " Bi Bop ". Off then one arrived at the same manner as with a standard modem in the network.

thank's, that's about what i figured, if somebody googles the thruput and/or the interface (almost undoubtedly SCSI) and whether or not there was a special ROM patch (highly doubtful) i'm guessing an 802.11b PC Card NIC (if one exists) can be wedged into the mac's i/o structure using existing SCSI to 10baseT adapter drivers and a SCSI to PC Card bridge! check out #20 and #21 and look at the PC CARD ULTRADOCK hack.

http://www.linkclub.or.jp/%7Emaakun/duoroom/Duoroom.html

arrgghh!! i hate those long url bugs, take your pick!

nehoo, looks promising, they even did it with 68k Cachet!

jt . .

p.s. feces! go over to fritter and click the link ther for crying out loud!

http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=hacks;action=display;num=1019078601;start=30

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 14 May 2002 12:06:01

Captain Z's Edit: I removed the BabelFish stuff, becuase it did not work here, and also corrupted the links to the Japanese page. It was really annoying to have the screen scroll sideways. Unfortunetly, I don't think BabelFish is supported, so if you want to see this page in it's full English glory, go here and copy paste the URL above. Sorry for the inconvinence.

Edited by - Captain Z on 27 May 2002 12:55:46Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  14:21:03
I seem to remember a "Grouper" from Digital Ocean that would let you do something similar to Airport with 68K Powerbooks. It used a base station and largish antennas that were glued to the lids of the host Powerbooks or something like that. I also remember a wireless system designed for setting up quick LANs for multiplayer games that used some sort of diffuse IR system but I don't remember what it was called. Gamelink maybe? And there was Metricom Ricocet, a wireless Internet service that worked with 68K Powerbooks. It seems to me that they went out of business though. (At least I have not heard about them lately)

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  13:26:07
We had the same mobile phone system here in Holland in the early nineties, it was called Kermit, and meant as a cheap alternative to a real mobile phone network.

The idea was that you could call out only, not receive calles, and you had to be close enought to a "GreenPoint", the access point for the phone. I sure considered getting a Kermit phone, you could buy an optional base station to use it as a regular cordless phone at home, and cobined with a pager, you could be contacted through the pager and then call back on the Kermit.

I think the network was dismantled, but I'm not sure... I remember seeing GreenPoint stickers on telephone booths not too long ago. (All phonebooths, post offices, Shell petrol stations and Albert Heijn supermarkets were GreenPoints).

Lemme see if I can dig up some more information and maybe some pictures.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  13:40:43
Okay, some more info.

The system was called Kermit, the access points Greenpoints, and the phones themselves Greenhoppers. The network was started in 1992, and broken down in 1999, when it had been completely replaced with GSM. The same system was also in use in the UK (Rabbit), Germany (City-Ruff) and, as mentioned, France (Bi-Bop).

The handsets use DECT1, and as such are pretty good cordless phones, and are still in use and quite popular among hardcore users.

Think of it! With that specially equipped PowerBook 180, you can surf wirelessly over your phoneline if you have a Kermit basestation, and quite elegantly, too! Oh, boy. I fear I must now have one of those...

http://www.geocities.com/kermit_greenhopper/index.html. (Learn Dutch!)

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2002 :  14:28:13
quote:

Think of it! With that specially equipped PowerBook 180, you can surf wirelessly over your phoneline if you have a Kermit basestation, and quite elegantly, too! Oh, boy. I fear I must now have one of those...

[url]http://www.geocities.com/kermit_greenhopper/index.html[/url]. (Learn Dutch!)

gaak, NO BABELFISH SUPPORT!!!!!!!! ne're mind!

i'm watching for ways to take the 2300c/IDE and 68k/SCSI Duos wireless with the Orinoco PC Card, not really interested in actually doing it, but i find the possibility fascinating. dunno about the 68k's but the original enabler for the 230c was the same as for the 190/5300 and the original os for all of the above was 7.5.2 which comebody pointed out (couldn't find the thread) is supported by that wireless modem. dunno, i think it should work, has anybody tried that PC Card in a 190?

jt ™[url="faq.asp.html#hyperlink"].[/url] [url="topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=979.html"].[/url]

Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2002 :  06:54:14
quote:

i'm watching for ways to take the 2300c/IDE and 68k/SCSI Duos wireless with the Orinoco PC Card, not really interested in actually doing it, but i find the possibility fascinating. dunno about the 68k's but the original enabler for the 230c was the same as for the 190/5300 and the original os for all of the above was 7.5.2 which comebody pointed out (couldn't find the thread) is supported by that wireless modem. dunno, i think it should work, has anybody tried that PC Card in a 190?

Hmm, been pondering something similar.

Skipping issues of size, the easieast would be to use a serial port NIC (EtherWave PB Adaptor/DaynaPORT EZ) and an 802.11 to Ethernet bridge. Three possible issues, though:
1) Size of the two boxes
2) Cost of the bridge
3) Ability of the bridge to pass Ethertalk packets

As for the Orinoco in a 190, it should work given the right combination of firmware, driver and OS. To explain, Current drivers are PPC-based and want 8.6 or later. Older ones will work down to at least 7.6.1, if not some version of 7.5. *But*, along the way, there have also been firmware changes to the card which could casuse issues with older drivers, particularly the support for peer-to-peer networks.

Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  09:48:30
Farallon (Proxim)'s wireless card is supported on 68K Macs. That means the PowerBook 190, and the PowerBook 500 series with optional PCMCIA card cage.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2002 :  10:31:30
quote:

Farallon (Proxim)'s wireless card is supported on 68K Macs. That means the PowerBook 190, and the PowerBook 500 series with optional PCMCIA card cage.

great! does anybody know if these cards are interfaced to the mac's i/o as NuBus pseudo slot expansions or onboare AAUI? if so, they could very well work with the Slot Manager/ROM routines on the 2300c with an IDE to PC Card bridge or possibly with the 68k duos using a SCSI to PC Card bridge as well.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  13:54:01
They sit on the PCMCIA interface.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  20:23:54
quote:

They sit on the PCMCIA interface.

you're saying that there are special OS and ROM routines for every supported PCMCIA device type? i would have thought that PC Card NICs especially would follow the apple's practice of utilizing pre-existing OS and firmware networking support along the lines of the pseudo slot model. especially as then bridges for the interface would be piggybacking on the IDE or SCSI buses. the TattleTech reports looked like PCMCIA was set up as any other generic interface.

dunno, seems loke a LOT of work to do it that way.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2002 :  22:33:28
Whoops… I must have misread. I was thinking in terms of hardware.

You are partly right. Ethernet PC Cards, like any other Macintosh Ethernet card, use the Mac's built-in networking software, of course. But the drivers are very card-specific.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  14:47:31
well well!

Those pictures of the Duo 230 ADB port don't look TOO hard.

I think I could do that... the modem is shot anyways.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2002 :  16:04:09
quote:

well well!

Those pictures of the Duo 230 ADB port don't look TOO hard.

I think I could do that... the modem is shot anyways.

did you check out the internal 10BaseT hack over on fritter?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.