Lounge
 Chewlett Packard?
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2002 :  10:46:16
I was looking through the local want ads for people getting rid of macs, and didn't find anything that wasn't ridiculous; such as an Apple //c setup for $150, or an LC 580 for $300. But, I did see something pretty funny! Someone had an ad for a "Chewlett Packard" with 286!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 14 May 2002 11:19:25

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2002 :  14:44:38
There is this surplus store near where I live called Mendelsons. They have had a stack of assorted Mac II's and Quadra 605's sitting in their computer section for as long as I can remember. They are priced from 250 to 300 dollars. It is not like all of their computers are overpriced, just the Macs.

Funny story. I was at this store once in the aisle next to the Mac's when I overheard two people in the Mac aisle. They were looking for a computer and one of them, after picking up one of the Quadras to look at it and realizing it was a Mac, said something along the lines of "Ew yuck! a Mac. I can't believe I just touched it" and his friend said something along the lines of "Maybe you should go boil your hands". Then they went yelling to the clerk, saying they needed a computer with "eisa" becuase "eisa" was good. It took me a few seconds to figure out that they were talking about ISA slots. Keep in mind that they were yelling all of this at the top of their lungs.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2002 :  15:41:38
Ironically you spelled "someone" wrong.

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2002 :  18:06:41
You know, there is an internal interface known on the PC side as EISA. It's extended/enhanced ISA or something.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2002 :  18:36:44
quote:

You know, there is an internal interface known on the PC side as EISA. It's extended/enhanced ISA or something.

yup! it's just as dead as the microchannel it was a reaction to!

remember the big deal about VLB! the freakin SE had a local bus connector and hackers were using killy clips from the early days to install a PDS/LB on macs.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  01:50:59
Actually EISA was not that bad for it's time. In the DOS days my insurance office used a 386DX-25 with an EISA bus. It was a NEC Powermate server. It had dram memory on cards, no sipps or dimms. It was extremely heavy with fans all over the place to keep it cool. Those were the days when Novell ruled and slow tape backups were the norm. It was a great step up from the ISA bus, but alas along with IBM microchannel lost favor to PCI. We used to run third party caching programs to speed it up.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  05:13:25
quote:

Actually EISA was not that bad for it's time.

actually, i wasn't making fun of either one, even ISA has some nice features outside of the path/bandwidth considerations. the mezzanine bus architecture of PCI makes so much sense even the dolts at apple adopted it. (didn't do it right, for a change <rolleyes>, but at least they screwed up the implementation of a general industry standard this time!) VLB was dynamite, the consortium that developed that stalled the other standards and allowed for the development of PCI. those idiots at apple couldn't even make more than a couple of revs out of a whole slew of 030 local bus (PDS) implementations compatible within a SINGLE company! bleh!

new servers are rolled out today? if they've got PC133 inside, i'm gonna freakin'plotz!

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 14 May 2002 05:17:51Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  10:53:32
Chewlett Packard -- LOL.

If any of you need a darkside box, do not get an HP.

Back in 1996 I bought an HP scanjet scanner for about 300 bucks. Nice piece of hardware. Worked like a charm. A very good way to get into the world of SCSI because of the good instructions included in the manual. Made setting up and terminating a SCSI chain seem really easy.

Then I upgraded to W98 and the freaking thing wouldn't work. It needed a new driver. So I go to the HP site to see if I can download the new driver.

Uh-uh, HP wants to sell me the new driver as part of a bundle of software for $80 (eighty dollars.) I explain to tech support that all the other software that came bundled with the scanner still works fine, I just need the new driver and if she'll point me to the url where I can down load just the driver, or mail me a disk with just the driver ...

No, she replies, the new updated W98 driver is avalible only with the new software bundle. They are not making it avalible for download.

No $80. No driver. I have never, ever, run into a business that wanted me to buy a driver.

I have vowed from then on never to buy another HP product. I urge you to think about the kind of support you'll get from them.

My guru and I figured out a back-door, bailing wire and spit method of getting the scanner up and running. And when I had the big crash of '01 (hard drive died) I simply used the drivers built into Adobe and Corel to get it running again.

Currently I have an Epson USB scanner that my dad bought as my birthday gift last year. Works just fine, too.

BTW, if any of you want/need a darkside box, you can e-mail me off board to ask hardware questions. I don't know jack about W XP, though.

68K's liberated: 0
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  11:21:38
quote:
Ironically you spelled "someone" wrong.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, AAAAAHHHHHH!!!

I fixed it.

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  12:00:43
Speaking of HP...
Now that HP and Compaq have been smushed together, what do we call them? Hewlet-ComPaqard? Sheesh...
SpaceBoy <heh heh... 'smushed'... heh heh>

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  13:43:43
quote:

There is this surplus store near where I live called Mendelsons.

Do you live near Dayton, OH? There is a Mendlesons downtown. I don't know if they are a chain store. They might be in other cities now.
If they have Macs I'm DEFINITELY GOING!

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  17:48:53
Calm down TRash...you are going to blow a gasket...lol! Coxy get some blood pressure medicine to TRash...stat...:)
I share your frustrations on Apple's handling of memory through the years. It just doesn't make sense. I know Apple Techs are scratching their heads as well at the resale level. I really love my local Apple guys (SelectMac, free plug!). The G4 processors are beiing choked by the current ram standards they are using. You need all the speed you can get with OSX, no room for any bottlenecks. I still can't believe Apple is selling systems with OS X with only 128 meg of ram (slow ram at that). OS X does not really start to hum unless you have 256 meg of ram. This is one of my criticisms of the new G4 Imac (only 128 meg).
I really do want Apple to succeed with it' new models, perhaps they will get some new marketing people. They also need to make OS X for other platforms, I know that won't happen but I can dream.

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2002 :  18:33:19
Well, the rackmounts are out, and they come with DDR... That's the medicine for JT.

I have to say, tho, I love HP hardware, although their customer support is somewhat lacking. I have 4 Macs set up, and I only use HP periphirals with them.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  06:16:04
Yeah I live near Dayton. The Macs are on the third floor near the front counter, but all their Mac stuff is really overpriced, but they have tons of other computer stuff. As far as I know they are not a chain store.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  08:09:39
Apathy is very unbecoming of an Uzbekastanian!

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  16:05:41
quote:

Yeah I live near Dayton. The Macs are on the third floor near the front counter, but all their Mac stuff is really overpriced, but they have tons of other computer stuff. As far as I know they are not a chain store.

I don't think they're a chain store either. I guess I can still look at it though. Cool to know there is someone else around here that is in my neck of the woods! Maybe I an get my dad to bring me there over the weekend or something.

MyForumOnDelphi:

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2002 :  19:19:21
Ok the two 68k versions of Quicken that I have are 4 and 7.
I just put them both on my HL server.

MyForumOnDelphi:

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.