68k Conquests
 All hands on deck!!
Author Topic  
bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  04:44:28
OK troops, we have a problem.

A friend of mine works for the IT wing of a large international travel company here in Sydney. They are currently going through an "upgrade" of all their booking terminals. What this means is that somwhere between 250 and 500 LC 475s and Quadra 605s will be finding themselves on skid row over the next couple of months. Not to mention the 100 or so that have been buried already.

The thought of all these little battlers being junked after so many years of faithful service sends a shiver down my spine... however a liberation of this magnitude is way outside my capacity to cope with individually. I'm pretty much at my limit already. I've suggested the old standbys... donations to schools... mass eBay auctions... however it appears they just want them out of their hair ASAP. Does anyone have any other bright ideas? I'll keep you posted.

Tune in next week for the next exciting episode.

SAVE THE FEETS!

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
4 LC 475s
6 Quadra 605s
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 PowerComputing Powerbase 240
2 Wallstreets
and a partridge in a pear tree

Edited by - bigsadhu on 11 May 2002 19:45:02

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  06:00:29
gl hf

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  06:06:00
ACK!

ACK!

I CAN'T READ!!!

I thought they had, like Performa 5200s or something. They certainly have held onto these things for a while though. I hope they all find loving homes. I wish i could help, but due to the PAF, i can't.

GD LUCK!!!!!!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  06:32:00
I've got lots of room (for storage at least)! But I'm too far away from Sydney to do any good. I'm also kinda poor, so I can't pay shipping for that many machines either. Brings me to tears to waste a perfectly good computer.
Its just plain evil!

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2002 :  06:47:51
quote:

The thought of all these little battlers being junked after so many years of faithful service sends a shiver down my spine... however a liberation of this magnitude is way outside my capacity to cope with individually.

my sister in law just got ther stuff in from new zealand (it took several months) and it was expensive, but not exhorbitantly so. i'll check into it. since sydney and new york are both ports of entry (exit?), maybe a reasonable (vanload) of boxes could be shipped? dunno, i'll ask her about the details. maybe if you pack and ship, i could pick them up here and ups them to the north american troops?

the other thing i was thinking is that since they all have NIC's installed, maybe an adopt a bridge campaign could save a pile of them without shipping? could an appletalk bridge/system for a headless server fit on one floppy or would there need to be an installer and a few disks?

people might be willing to pay freight and a couple of bucks down there for an appletalk bridge and it would be a really sneaky way to get more folks interested in 68k's.

letters to the editors of mac a&w magazines might get published and draw some interest in time if the letter gets into the publishing cycle quickly and at the right point?

dunno, i'm fresh out of ideas!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.