All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 My recomendation for a web browser...
Author Topic  
MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2001 :  19:01:40
I just thought I'd share this with all of you, and infact some of you probably already know this, but iCab rocks for 68K machines! I've used alot of browsers on my machine, and iCab is currently the best of them all. Here's why:

Netscape Navigator 4 is awfully nice and powerfull, but it takes sometimes a minute just to render a page on my PowerBook 190, and what's worse, it renders the whole system unusuable for that time! This quickly gets annoying, but so far I have had none of this with iCab.

Internet Explorer 3 always crashed on me, and it's pretty old. And I'm just to impatient to wait through the whole 12MB of IE 4.0.1 on my 28.8Kbs modem! iCab on the other hand is only 1.5MB for the 68K version (which I downloaded).

I do find some faults with iCab though, but these are quickly ignored, and the interface is a major part of this annoyance. I don't really like the seemingly hand-made graphics, but I've ignored this. Also, it currently doesn't do JavaScript, but hell, is this a missing feature or an improvement?

I like it so much, that I'm thinking of sticking it on my PowerMac, as IE 5 is just a tad bit slow.

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68K Macs liberated:5

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2001 :  19:08:38
Oh, it gets better! Currently it's only using 4MB of RAM to boot! *Hikes it up to 10MB* I've got 24MB of RAM, so it's all good! Netscape 4 used up 14MB and still gave me out of memory errors! Plus, you can customize the toolbar, so I've got mine nicely stream lined! But I stand corrected, iCab doesn't rock, it kicks ass!

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2001 :  21:20:59
I think that no JavaScript support should be classed as a feature.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2001 :  23:01:29
wow! My second star!

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

matt
Starting Member

USA
33 Posts
Posted - 25 Nov 2001 :  06:12:38
I hate Javascript. All it seems to be used for is pop-behinds. I hate pop-behinds! No Javascript is a feature!

-----------------------
Yes I am matt from MAF.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.