68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 How would A/UX run on a Q700 w/ 20 MB of RAM?
Author Topic  
Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  08:32:23
I'm currently tracking an auction for 2 Q700's with 20 megs of RAM. It seems pretty cheap, it's going for $12.99 for both Quadras. I plan to use them as A/UX boxen, but how well could a mac woth a 20 meg ram limit run A/UX? Would I have enough space to be able to run apps like Codewarrior and MacX at the same time, or would I run out of memory?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The Sane

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  08:39:15
quote:

I'm currently tracking an auction for 2 Q700's with 20 megs of RAM. It seems pretty cheap, it's going for $12.99 for both Quadras. I plan to use them as A/UX boxen, but how well could a mac woth a 20 meg ram limit run A/UX? Would I have enough space to be able to run apps like Codewarrior and MacX at the same time, or would I run out of memory?

dunno, but that sounds a lot like one 32MB Q700 and one 8 MB Q700 to me. anybody well versed in Q700n MemConfigs?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  08:47:05
No, each 700 has 20 MB.
I read on LEM that 700's can see up to 64 MB if you use four 16 meg sticks, but those are rare and not supported by Apple.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  09:08:24
quote:

No, each 700 has 20 MB.
I read on LEM that 700's can see up to 64 MB if you use four 16 meg sticks, but those are rare and not supported by Apple.

YUCK! i just looked at applespec. i forgot about apple's delusional notion (fraudulant claim!) about System 7 support on macnines with four MB of soldered mobo memory! an SE/30 is better than that! don't bid on 'em unless one of Anubis' 800 boards will fit in it! that's the WORST quadra memory implementation of all! i had no idea it was that bad! BLECH!!!!!!!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  09:11:10
I don't get it, what's wrong? Is it slow or what? It's the same memory scheme that the Mac IIci (or was it x?) has.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  09:39:30
quote:

I don't get it, what's wrong? Is it slow or what? It's the same memory scheme that the Mac IIci (or was it x?) has.

not sure, it just rubs me the wrong way!

looks more like the LC/LCII kind of limitation to me!

just did a very perfunctory review and it looks like those two and the IIsi are the only macs shipped since the II to have a worse max supported RAM config than the Q700's 20 MB ceiling. (which only EQUALS that of the '020 Mac II) in a midrange box i'd tag that a road apple!

even a vx or a vi were better, a 650's a LOT more versatile.

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 09 May 2002 09:41:46Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  10:40:53
I know that I would have trouble expanding it, that's why I asked if 20mb would be sufficient to run A/UX well.
It still seems like a pretty good deal to me, with the seller now offering me an external CD-ROM drive if I win. If I lose it to a sniper, it's no big deal. I know a place where I can get a 950 for about $50 + shipping. Now THAT would make a nice A/UX box

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  14:11:54
I won the auction! $13.00 + S&H for 2 Q700's! I'll try to install a *nix on them when I have spare time.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  19:37:05
quote:

Q700's 20 MB ceiling. (which only EQUALS that of the '020 Mac II)

The Mac II can hold up to 2 GB of RAM.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  19:51:45
quote:

This may be true (lowendmac says it's got a max of 68 megs) but let me know where you find your 256-meg 30-pin SIMMs!

SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  19:55:40
quote:

quote:

Q700's 20 MB ceiling. (which only EQUALS that of the '020 Mac II)

not supported by apple it can't. applespec say 20MB for the II and for the Q700. almost every other machine is supported in a higher memory configuration than the Q700. if dana's correct about the mobo RAM being ignored in an unsupported 64MB config, i suspect there's something rotten somewhere!

that machine should have had 8 SIMM slots and nothing on the mobo, apple can't build competitive hardware, never has, never will! performance seesaws back and forth, but the feature set of the PC's open hardware makes the mac look pathetic to the unconverted and to some of us die hard mac fanatics too! bring back the clones!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  06:51:19
Clones kill Apple.

Anyway, you can put 2 gig of RAM in a Mac II through NuBus RAM cards... it probably isn't supported tho. (That's one use for a 32 bit clean ROM!)

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  07:34:16
quote:

Clones kill Apple.

apple was killing apple cuz they kept doing the same stupid s**t as always with their hardware and the clone makers blew them out of the water, even according to the macsycophant apologists at macworld!

dropping hardware except for stylish niche models and concentrating on the OS for CHRP would have been MUCH more profitable for apple than the turtlenecked idiot's second coming. that control freak is killing the mac as a viable platform! the entire user base is slowly being whittled down to a collection of effetist design mavens with technological blinders. GAAAAK!!!!!

wait a minute . . . i was going top stop being negative!

f****t! we're well on the way to becoming the next generation of amiga fanatics!

IMPONAHEO!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  09:35:33
Clones got to build cheap and cheerful boxen unburdened by R&D costs. Apple was losing market share to the clones, raising the liscensing costs didn't work -- the only way for them to survive was to kill off the clone program.

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  11:08:46
quote:

Clones got to build cheap and cheerful boxen unburdened by R&D costs. Apple was losing market share to the clones, raising the liscensing costs didn't work -- the only way for them to survive was to kill off the clone program.

that's because they spent money on bs crap like yet more custom psu's, mobos and cases. the whole point is that appole doesn't belong in a mainline hardware manufacturing role! had they spent their R&D budget getting CHRP off the ground and burying the wintel hegemony with real technical superiority and their efforts on extending the lead of their OS superiority they might have had a chance. if they turned the licensees loose to provide the perceived value apple has so miserably failed to achieve in the eyes of the general public, their licensing fees would have been worth a premium, what they did was to roadblock the very kinds of market adaptability and standardized performance gains that could have saved the company.

they don't and never will understand that computers don't have enough profit margin to pretend to be a BMW. the idiots dream of competing with sony is laughable, APPLE is the betamax of the computer world, but they will never overcome the relentless standardization of the wintel VHS juggernaut. even the professional videocams have the profit margin to have remained a very succesful niche product until VERY recently. COMPUTERS ain't got that kinda margin. Bill and Paul had a better idea from day one, supply the OS and the software that will be run by the WORLD. hardware is fordinosaurs, myopic dilletants and technological groundbreakers. mordorsoft burying apple after very nearly burying IBM. by the time the idiots in cupertino tried licensing it was too little too late and they botched their only real chance. we're under 3% market penetration and sinking fast, if you want me to post some of the gloomy marketing stuff friends have sent me i'll try to dig the links up.

IMHO, you're not looking at the overall picture and you're believing WAY too much of apple's PR! think it thru, it ain't a pretty picture, i'm actually a lot more afraid for apples future now than i was in the deepest darkest days when i kept the faith. i hope i'm wrong now, but if they release another lineup of fastproc, bus choked, athsmatic road apples, they're in SERIOUS trouble!

whatever . . . .

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  15:42:27
Yeah, Apple's business practices have been getting me down too.
Teaming up with AmericaOnLine-TimeWarnerBrothers Media Empire to make iChat? Disgusting!
Making 10.2 require a 32 meg video card? What about my ibook (8meg video card), which I spent $1325 on last year?
Dropping support for OS 9? What happened to supporting computers like the SE/30 for nearly 10 years?
Steve's getting greedy!

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.