All Forums
 Lounge
 What's up with Mac prices?
Author Topic  
Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 07 May 2002 :  20:36:38
I'm trying to find a G4 to replace my Pismo , but no matter where I look they always go for more then $700! Don't people realize that these computers are 2+ years old? Now i can understand prices being being much higher then PC prices ,but this is rediculous. I have been seriously thinking about buying a PC and no I havent been replaced by a troll , i'm just a very upset mac user.

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 07 May 2002 :  20:40:53
I think that there is a good reason that they are high, because old G4's are still hecka fast, a iMac 800 is wiped by a G4 400! And the case design makes it very amazing and great to support a lot of punishment.

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:17
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

Edited by - TiMacLover on 08 May 2002 00:36:41Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 May 2002 :  21:39:02
No, an iMac G4 will whoop an original G4.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 07 May 2002 :  21:49:55
Actually in benchmarks a G4 400mhz beat the iMac 800 in Photoshop and FPS frame rate.

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

Edited by - TiMacLover on 08 May 2002 00:09:42Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 May 2002 :  23:43:41
Bulldust. While the 7410 is a lighter duty chip when compared to the 7450 in the new G4s, it will still beat a 7400.

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  09:20:47
who gives schit about PhotoShop?

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  09:47:38
quote:

the entire mac presscorps! that's what they used to tout as why the mac was faster than pc's, i haven't seen anything credible like than in a year or so now!

BLECH! i don't know if it's motorola, apple or the developers, but the performance edge of pc's is beginning tho make the IMac800/G4-400 comparison kinda silly sounding! they're kickin' the crap outta dual gig configs! apple's gotta open up the bus speed and memory bottlenecks RIGHT QUICK! this situation S***S!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  11:09:46
Look, I don't give fvck about PhotoShop. I mostly play games and brwose the 'Net and a PC suits my needs just fine, thanks. It's cheaper, too.

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  12:25:18
quote:

Look, I don't give fvck about PhotoShop. I mostly play games and brwose the 'Net and a PC suits my needs just fine, thanks. It's cheaper, too.

go wash your keyboard out with soap, young man!

besides, i was agreeing eith you about PC's! i can't get a decent WWII flight sim at all on the Mac and a soon as Apple started to put decent gaming videocards in the G4, the b******s at Connectix stopped supporting video acceleration in VPC!

ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!

. . . . and i was saying that besides killing the Mac in terms of gaming and pricepoint, the PC is now FASTER than the Mac for photoshop, which i don't give a rodent's rump about either!

=8-P

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  12:37:26
If PhotoShop suddenly didn't exist, I'd probably kill myself.

Of course, I could say the same for ProTools, FCP, Premiere/After Effects and Director, too.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  12:53:11
Trash: buy a game called European Air War.

It's for PC, of course.

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  15:34:36
Yuck

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  16:28:54
Yo, I own PC! I have access to games for...
Linux
BeOS
MS-DOS
Windows 9x
Windows XP
CP/M-86
MacOS 68k

I think I'm set with my PC
although I can't forget my trusty 68k macs either.

Yes those are all installed on my PC! Except for CP/M which is on a floppy.

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  16:31:22
BTW: I got my PC for $800 with
40GB HD
128MB RAM
1.1GHz Celeron
16x CD-RW
Windows XP Home (of cource)
Scanner
Printer
Monitor

It came as a package deal from Dell.

MyForumOnDelphi:

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  17:52:11
Hope that you like it...

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  18:34:07
Its ok. I could really use a better mac though. I'm just saying PCs aren't as bad as they're craked up to be. You can still run all your 68k mac software on them afterall.

MyForumOnDelphi:

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  19:23:48
quote:

Its ok. I could really use a better mac though. I'm just saying PCs aren't as bad as they're craked up to be.

the fanatics on both sides of the issue who are the loudest about how great their platform of choice is and their contempt for that of the other camp are just communicating their ignorance about computing in general.

the maniac nailed it! ALL COMPUTERS SUCK! it's a matter of degree and appropriate application of the strengths and working around the weaknesses on either platform.

it's always been a catch-22, you've gotta run hot generic inexpensive hardware with an OS from a company that can't code worth a s**t or run a nifty operating system on overpriced underpowered equipment from that same OS company that can't ever really seem to build hardware worth a crap! you've got enormous strengths and debilitating weaknesses on both sides.

thankfully my work doesn't require brute strength and i have the luxury to love my macs and love/loathe the PC's that i've also bought or built and used out of necessity on occasion.

know your enemy, and know your own strengths and weaknesses, don't listen to either side's propaganda!

imho, of course!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  00:03:21
quote:
Windows XP Home (of cource)

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. *throws up Coke that was just swallowed*

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  00:15:42
Most of my angry haterid is against the the software, Windows GRRRRR!!!!

WE ALL SHOULD RUN BeOS ON OUR PeeCee's! Or Rhapsody

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  01:11:51
quote:

the maniac nailed it! ALL COMPUTERS SUCK! it's a matter of degree and appropriate application of the strengths and working around the weaknesses on either platform.

I'm being talked about?! oooah!

and yes. they all suck except for 605's

dana

--
http://www.danamania.com/
naturally hosted on a Quadra 605
--Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  01:45:00
Well I agree with TRash...same generation you know...lol! I believe in using the right tool for the task at hand. I have several different platforms in my household. I use Macs to exercise the right lobe of my brain since I am left-handed. I find that I can write more clearly on the Mac and keep my financial information on it. I feel that more personal information is more secure on that machine than any of my PC stuff (ie. Windoz). But I don find myself playing games and surfing on the PC more. The main reason being I have this huge Sony monitor that my eyes can take for longer periods. My Macs are simple and effective machines that I don't have to tinker with...just use and go. I think a person has to be trained in different operating systems in today's job market.
My old stuff is for fun...I don't need it. I collect and sell all sorts of odd stuff. At least I quit with the CP/M 86 stuff...I had that jones a long time.

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  08:11:00
quote:
I think a person has to be trained in different operating systems in today's job market.

Very true. Right now the only platform I'm not fluent in is Unix, I'm still a newbie there, but as for Windows and Mac, I have them down. Yet, it's sad to see that 90% of the people I bump into in the tech industry have no concept of Macdom. I end up being the guru that they all come to for answers!

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 09 May 2002 09:24:18Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  08:29:45
quote:

quote:
I think a person has to be trained in different operating systems in today's job market.

Very true. Right now the onlt platform I'm not fluent in is Unix, I'm still a newbie there, but as for Windows and Mac, I have them down. Yet, it's sad to see that 90% of the people I bump into in the tech industry have no concept of Macdom. I end up being the guru that they all come to for answers!

yup! i did basic on TRS-80's which prompted my purchase of a Commodore64, then the 1000sx semi-compatible, then the FatMac and the SE arrived a couple of weeks later. i read everything i could get my hands on while understanding very little about any of the machines. once i started USING the SE day in and day out for production work, i came to understand it and the other platforms all at once and quite well.

it's kind of like having gotten a couple of years worth of D's in Spanish and one of French helps me to mangle the english language to a much more serious degree than i ever could have managed without the (even rudimentary level) outside knowledge for comparison/clarification.

as i said, KNOW your enemy, but know your own strengths and weaknesses as well!

(or better in the case of the weaknesses)

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 09 May 2002 08:33:07Go to Top of Page

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  15:21:26
Can anyone tell me what the cheapest fastest mac I can get for $900?

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  15:33:59
$900, huh?

Well, assuming you don't need a monitor, you could get a Dual 450 G4 tower, or possibly even a Dual 533. That's what I'd shoot for.

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  15:45:56
Get a G3 B/W and get a G4 upgrade thats about $800 altogether.

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:18

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  17:36:01
quote:

quote:

the entire mac presscorps! that's what they used to tout as why the mac was faster than pc's, i haven't seen anything credible like than in a year or so now!

BLECH! i don't know if it's motorola, apple or the developers, but the performance edge of pc's is beginning tho make the IMac800/G4-400 comparison kinda silly sounding! they're kickin' the crap outta dual gig configs! apple's gotta open up the bus speed and memory bottlenecks RIGHT QUICK! this situation S***S!
TOPIC_ID=979"].[/url]

I blame Motorola. They have been extremely slow in developing the PPC chip! They can't keep up with Intel in this market. PPC is on;y now at 1GHz. Intel and compatibles have been over 2GHz for a long time already.

MyForumOnDelphi:

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  18:16:10
quote:

I blame Motorola. They have been extremely slow in developing the PPC chip! They can't keep up with Intel in this market. PPC is on;y now at 1GHz. Intel and compatibles have been over 2GHz for a long time already.

there's some truth to the megahertz myth regarding CPU's, but the 133 Mhz memory bus of the current lineup vs 400 Mhz memory (rumored, i haven't been following it lately) on some PC's is pretty close to a Mhz - Mhz comparison.

it's kinda like the dual gigahertz mobo is really a built in accelerator on a digital audio mobo. my year old 466 uses the same speed memory i/o bus as the dual gig! now that's ENTIRELY apple's fault!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  19:15:39
quote:

Intel artifically inflates their CPU cycles figures. They're the only one past 2 GHz. Even AMD is only around 1.6 GHz.

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  23:18:31
Well Graphite, if you are a college student or a teacher you can qualify for Apple's Emac program. They will sell you a new Emac for $999. That is a nice G4 all in one with a 17 inch crt monitor. It comes only in white though. If I got one of those I would stick 70's type icon thingies all over it. I would put it in a corner of a room which has all sorts of 70's collectables.

Go to Top of Page

whozatmac
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  05:29:00
Mac's don't compare to windows machines based on machine speed...a fairer comparison is human productivity.

What I mean is, windows hardware might be faster (this year) but windows users will get less done on that machine. mac's behave better, are easier to learn and run, easier to set up, and requier no training and very little administration.

As a UNIX sysadmin by day, my dream network arrangment is all debian linux backend and all macs on the non-technical staff's desk. (the technical staff being linux coders, thier desktop is pretty set [and not my problem])

Windows requires a great investment in the most precious resource, time. Time to administer, time to train people (and thier time being trained,) down time that takes paid people and make them essentially useless until thier system works again.

By contrast, putting macs on peoples desks, I never hear from them again. They don't have problems, and they have very few questions. The largest problem I have now is Linux and windows users creating file names longer than classic finder can parse (god, i hate the 31 char limit!!!!)

Apple. UNIX. A/UX rocked.

macs liberated -

Quadra 950 - quax
6100/66 - everlast
4400 - fitter_happier
5215CD - pos
128k, M00001 - his name is macintosh, just macintoshGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  06:10:53
quote:

Mac's don't compare to windows machines based on machine speed...a fairer comparison is human productivity.

amen to that!

however, the general consesus of the buying public is that the OS wars are close enough not to matter. considering how expensive macs are, coupled with their utter lack of upgradability, as compared to the generic wintel boxes, support cost factors are pushed so far down on the checklist that they get noticed long after the hardware purchase orders go out!

the biggest problem i have currently is that market share is so glaringly pathetic that almost all the innovative new niche applications are not only developed for windows first, most of them never even make it to the mac. back in the day, it was the wintel jockey who averaged the low total of apps used, i would not be very surprised if the tables haven't turned on that front too! we used to get all those cool apps!

apple had better be doing something! stockholder equity has turned around dramatically since the first iMac's intro, but i sure hope the market doesn't realize that those are shares in a company edging ever closer to a die-hard amigalike installed base!

and the mac's technological inferiority makes the scenario far worse than that at present!

wake up, jobs!

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 10 May 2002 06:14:41Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.