Road Apple or Upgraded?
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  09:43:52
i've got a bid in on this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2021855036&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1020705540&indexURL=0&rd=1

mostly for the Q630 goodies in it. looks like somebody else is bidding so i wanted to know if anybody has one or knows about the DB15 connector on the back. the spec sheet says: Video: opt. DB-15
is that usually installed in the the spot where it is on this machine?

i kind of thought this might have been upgraded to a 6360 mobo because that's where a PCI Video card would go. i think it might be that apple used the PCI backplane panel to bolt up a Video out card from a 630 in order to enable more resolutions on an external monitor. 640x480 is ok for using it as a TV, but i can't deal with it on anything but a laptop otherwise. if this is a 6360 board with a PCI video card, i'll go a little higher on my bid if i have to . does anybody know?

tia

jt . .

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  10:38:44
Not bad, you won it for $64.50 out the door! I'd love it just so i could hack it into my ColorClassic!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  10:43:20
they dropped out, it's mine for $6.49 and an obscene amount for shipping and handling! it must be a standard unit with some kind of video out config. they have another similar system which has an LC slot NIC in it:
http://www.thecomputerwarehouse.net/ebaypictures/Photo17.jpg
here's the backplane of mine:
http://www.thecomputerwarehouse.net/ebaypictures/Photo110.jpg

they've got another one if anybody needs a Com Slot NIC and a video system, but this one doesn't have the tuner card:
http://www.thecomputerwarehouse.net/ebaypictures/Photo88.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2021845348

i'm happy, i've got a bunch of goodies for my 630's and a road apple to set up for my little brother and his new wife so can email her family back in new zealand.

more playtime! (soon)

back to work! (blech!)

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  10:53:00
quote:

Not bad, you won it for $64.50 out the door! I'd love it just so i could hack it into my ColorClassic!

you must have posted while i was checking out their other auctions!

they've got a 575 and a 580 too! the other 5260 i linked to has everything but the TV tuner if you want to go for it!

jt . .

p.s. but you should really hold out for a 6360 PCI mobo or the 6500/5500(5400?) 50 Mhz PCI mobo if you're going to defile your CC (ugly @$$ POS!) with a contraband CPU!!!!!!!!!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 06 May 2002 10:57:38Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  11:03:37
Well I certainly know one thing, JT, you're gathering more and more stuff that I want to trade for! I've got to actually email you about all this Duo muck I'm up to my eyeballs in...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  11:11:34
quote:

Well I certainly know one thing, JT, you're gathering more and more stuff that I want to trade for! I've got to actually email you about all this Duo muck I'm up to my eyeballs in...

yah! you and marchie are as bad as i am when it comes to procrastination!

i'm gonna email you the the piccies of my BoomBoxDock configs, so check those out even if you don't send me the duo info yet! i'm not in a rush anymore for those 280 parts as i've got another 2300c on the way that already has the trackball upgrade AND a maxed out RAM config!!!! comes with a spare minid for the NuBusMiniDock hack too!

muahahahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  19:41:31
quote:

i've got a bid in on this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2021855036&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1020705540&indexURL=0&rd=1

mostly for the Q630 goodies in it. looks like somebody else is bidding so i wanted to know if anybody has one or knows about the DB15 connector on the back. the spec sheet says: Video: opt. DB-15
is that usually installed in the the spot where it is on this machine?

i kind of thought this might have been upgraded to a 6360 mobo because that's where a PCI Video card would go. i think it might be that apple used the PCI backplane panel to bolt up a Video out card from a 630 in order to enable more resolutions on an external monitor. 640x480 is ok for using it as a TV, but i can't deal with it on anything but a laptop otherwise. if this is a 6360 board with a PCI video card, i'll go a little higher on my bid if i have to . does anybody know?

I have two 5260's, so I can answer a few questions.

By Optional DB-15, they mean that there was an option at one time for a video card to be put in (giving you a DB-15 to video mirror). This card is proprietary to the 5xxx series.

The system has no onboard ethernet. It requires a PDS ethernet or CommSlot I ethernet card.

Oh, by the way, you could have gotten it cheaper and slightly faster at OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=510&Title=&Template=1 . I got my two from my school district before they were to get junked, complete with TV tuner and 64MB or RAM each, free.

quote:

You are much better off with a 6400 series, or at least a 5400/5500 motherboard. The bus speed and processor speeds are much better. The 5200 and 5260 are god awful slow (Performs slower than my Quadra 800!)

[edit: Forum Code ]

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

18 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV Stuff

Edited by - Captain Z on 06 May 2002 19:46:03Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  20:21:44
quote:

You are much better off with a 6400 series, or at least a 5400/5500 motherboard. The bus speed and processor speeds are much better. The 5200 and 5260 are god awful slow (Performs slower than my Quadra 800!)

yeah, i know all about road apples! i put a 6290 into the kid's desk to replace the Quadra 630, same thing, no speed demon, but it's plenty good enough to do homework or correspondence with ClarisWorks! in my brother's case, it's a whole lot better than nothing at all to do a little email.

i got this one for the Com Slot NIC, the video system and the TV tuner. having something to set up for my brother is just an added bonus. my sister in law just got her green card and she'll be doing the resume thing besides emailing family WAY down under. if they wanna upgrade it's up to them, it'll make a hell of a starter system.

i didn't see a shipping price on the one you linked and they said it didn't boot anyway! i'm still thrilled, but i'm not planning on trying to DO anything myself on the thing!

thanks for the heads up on the video card! did it do decent non-mirrored resolutions on an external monitor or was it limited to mirroring the crappy 640 x 480 pixel count of the internal monitor?

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 06 May 2002 20:24:16Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 07 May 2002 :  00:37:41
not sure if it's limited to the same resolution, but I do know that 640x480 is not your only option. 832x624 is possible at 256 colors.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

18 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  02:23:52
I was selling these "roadapples" until recently for roughly 75-120 dollars. Captain Z is correct that is a second video port out for mirroing. These were sold to the education market for presentation use. There is actually a special slot for the connector on the motherboard the adapter occupies the space. I don't believe the 5200/5260 has a PCI slot since there is no support for 3.3 volts with that power supply. I would just pull it. If my memory serves you can only max the memory out to 64 meg using 32 meg simms. The hard drive needs to replaced with a 7200 rpm unit. You can run 9.1 on it fairly well if you don't keep too many applications open at once. You could put Itunes on it and make it a jukebox of sorts. I do that with my 5400 which does not have as many limitations. You are stuck with legacy type device for it though. There is no simple way to add USB to it. Those defects were corrected in the 5400/5500 series. If it has a TV tuner you can use a Sony remote control on them for the TV/CD functions, that was one of the neat features with it. I would look for 3rd party software for video editing if you want to use it with a vcr/analog camcorder. If memory serves the original software was very rudamentary. Refurb Madness might be a good place to look for that stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  07:55:10
quote:

There is actually a special slot for the connector on the motherboard the adapter occupies the space. I don't believe the 5200/5260 has a PCI slot since there is no support for 3.3 volts with that power supply. I would just pull it. If my memory serves you can only max the memory out to 64 meg using 32 meg simms. The hard drive needs to replaced with a 7200 rpm unit.

that's interesting about the special slot on the mobo, i can't wait to tear this one down. all the goodies are coming out of it for spares for my 630's. the kid just about had a heart attack when he thought the tuner in his 6290CD TV/ClarisHomeWorksProcessor died. i've got a set in my 6360 that the little snot would have demanded be transplanted into his box within fifteen minutes had the restart not cured his rig. (i NEED a spare!)

if this'll do 7.5.3 that's what it'll get, if not, 8.6 is my only other on hand choice and i REALLY don't want to support that one or choke the little horse-nugget with 9.X!

this will be set up with clarisworks (maybe an old rev of word if demanded), a rudimentary e-mail/dialup config and some old revs of my graphics programs for my little brother to play with.

it's way better than nothing at all and insurance against a wintel purchase nightmare! (as in support scenario for me)

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 09 May 2002 :  23:43:24
Well, you will have more fun with that "roadapple" than buying an off the shelf "Wintel" machine. They do make a great bedroom tv with the AV/TV tuner option. Occassionally I find these "pallet deals" on old Apple stuff the only problem is that I have to buy semi-loads of the stuff and I don't have a "free" warehouse sitting around. I still like the 5400/5500 series since it can be upgraded to a G3 400 level. Those machines are limited to 9.1 which for the moment software-wise is a not an issue. There are not OS X specific apps that I want to lay out cash for right now.
I have projects in the back of mind that still brew and bubble to the surface. I just don't hope I don't go off on a weird tangent. I still don't have a decent Linux box.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.