~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  08:44:41
Umm... if your willing to pay 20 Million for that, it's your own choice... I'll pay what is asks for: $20,000

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

18 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  08:49:00
Must have counted too many zeros... Now why did I get such a loss of precision in my memory? Must be those damned single pres. floating point numbers...

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  10:08:12
That's at least the second time it's been listed, and still nobody bid. Hmmm, I wonder why?

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  11:01:07
quote:

That's at least the second time it's been listed, and still nobody bid. Hmmm, I wonder why?

i think most denizens of eBay are already all set in the central heating system department!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  16:36:12
As much as I like old hardware no matter what it is...
I just don't have the space for it, and besides I don't ha ve the money.

It also seems pretty overpriced. What can you do with a supercomputer that you can't do with a regular computer?

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  18:24:49
Especially since a new dualie G4 probably whoops the 'supercomputer.'

Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  19:04:11
quote:

Especially since a new dualie G4 probably whoops the 'supercomputer.'

bleh! they can't even kick a high end wintel boxe's @$$, that supercomputer stuff about the G4 is a lot of advert. b.s.! even hard core graphics types don't believe that crap if they work in a mixed shop!

might be able to beat the cray in some benchmarks, but OS-X is still a major millstone.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 07 May 2002 :  15:06:48
Windoze machines cannot compete with a dualie. Single, go right ahead, pick a fight. But when VPC 5 can start up windoze 200 faster than the 2 GHz's at skool, something is better aboot the G4. I also do do a fair amount of grafix work in my spare time, and when it comes down to hard crunching graphics (mainly 3D) dualies have windoze whipped. Then again I'm not talking G4 Vs. a Quad Server box...

~The Speed Freak Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 May 2002 :  15:35:42
quote:

Windoze machines cannot compete with a dualie. Single, go right ahead, pick a fight. But when VPC 5 can start up windoze 200 faster than the 2 GHz's at skool, something is better aboot the G4. I also do do a fair amount of grafix work in my spare time, and when it comes down to hard crunching graphics (mainly 3D) dualies have windoze whipped. Then again I'm not talking G4 Vs. a Quad Server box...

go check out the ars technica forums and MAF, seems like the folks that know think differently.

dunno, i'll never have (current) top end hardware on either platform, but photoshop operations are definitely faster on the PC side and that's supposedly the mac's forte!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  04:27:54
quote:
dunno, i'll never have (current) top end hardware on either platform, but photoshop operations are definitely faster on the PC side and that's supposedly the mac's forte!

Message to Motorola...

WAKE UP!!!!!!!

Either that, or Apple should ditch moto for IBM. It seems as though IBM can get G3s up to relatively high clock speeds reliably. I don't see why they can't do it with G4s also, given adequate cooling. Sure, the G4 is a GREAT processor, but still, the PC is starting to get an edge, and besides, Apple needs those big numbers for marketing. I'm sick of having to start talking like an overcaffienated clone of Rubenstein every time i need to defend the Mac against PC hippies at school...

Anyway, enough of my waffling for now...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  05:11:58
quote:

quote:

Message to Motorola...

WAKE UP!!!!!!!

Either that, or Apple should ditch moto for IBM. It seems as though IBM can get G3s up to relatively high clock speeds reliably. I don't see why they can't do it with G4s also, given adequate cooling. Sure, the G4 is a GREAT processor, but still, the PC is starting to get an edge, and besides, Apple needs those big numbers for marketing. I'm sick of having to start talking like an overcaffienated clone of Rubenstein every time i need to defend the Mac against PC hippies at school...

Anyway, enough of my waffling for now...

don't get into any discussions like that, neither side will convince the other of anything!

i'm not all that worried about the G4, at 1 Mhz i'm not sure which way the benchmarks would go if the Macs weren't saddled with archaic memory standards and system architectures running at about 1/3 the thruput of the competition. we'll see what happens at MWNY, if apple can pull a memory i/o architecture technology miracle out of its hat, the tide may turn without motorola's need to inflate clock speeds.

check out this chipsets system architecture:
http://www3pub.amd.com/products/cpg/server/athlon/chipset.html

the ball is squarely in apple's court, the server announcement will give a pretty good preview of the summer's new macs. full size platinum retro towers with six 66 MHz/32-bit/64-bit PCI bus mode compliant slots would ROCK! but only if they've got the rest of the mobo architecture of the future inside. CPUs aren't the worst bottleneck currently. the OS tweek geeks and the system board level, black art boffins are the ones who'll make the really dramatic changes for the next year or so.

imho, of course!

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 10 May 2002 05:14:14Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  05:22:51
quote:
i'm not all that worried about the G4, at 1 Mhz i'm not sure which way the benchmarks would go if the Macs weren't saddled with archaic memory standards and system architectures running at about 1/3 the thruput of the competition.

1Mhz G4s???
We're all in trouble if that's the case...but at least a 133mhz bus can handle a 1 Mhz processor....

hmmmmmm
1 Ghz sounds a little better to me....

Weapons engineering division, 68kMLA
68k Macs liberated : LCIII+
LCII
Performa 410
IIci
Quadra 700
Quadra 800
Performa 550

Other macs:
Beige G3/300 tower

Keeper of the 68kmla Hotline mirror server:
68k.dns2go.com

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  05:51:56
quote:

1Mhz G4s???
We're all in trouble if that's the case...but at least a 133mhz bus can handle a 1 Mhz processor....

hmmmmmm

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  06:02:59
quote:

quote:
i'm not all that worried about the G4, at 1 Mhz i'm not sure which way the benchmarks would go if the Macs weren't saddled with archaic memory standards and system architectures running at about 1/3 the thruput of the competition.

1Mhz G4s???

hmmmmmm

Weapons engineering division, 68kMLA
68k Macs liberated : LCIII+
LCII
Performa 410
IIci
Quadra 700
Quadra 800
Performa 550

Other macs:
Beige G3/300 tower

Keeper of the 68kmla Hotline mirror server:
68k.dns2go.com

1 Mhz????

No dude. No no no! You need the BRAND SPANKIN NEW 8MHZ 68000 CPU UPGRADE!!!!!!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  06:16:16
quote:

No dude. No no no! You need the BRAND SPANKIN NEW 8MHZ 68000 CPU UPGRADE!!!!!!

( | )

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  06:23:41
Ok,clarification needs to be made. The G4 IS a faster processor. However with no DDR RAM, faster bus,faster ATA, etc.the system can not fully use it. This is the one reason i wish you could REALLY build your own macs for. And yes, speed is important, at least for the initial marketing gig. It all comes down to one thing,the computer industry is brutal and whoever makes it cheaper gets it, whether its good quality or not.

~The Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 May 2002 :  06:27:50
what the bird in formal attire said!

jt . .

p.s. the entire current product lineup is a bushel basket chock full of choked system bus road apples!

p.p.s. but they sure LOOK good! bleh!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 10 May 2002 06:30:49Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.