68k Software
 airport locator
Author Topic  
madscientist
Starting Member

United Kingdom
26 Posts
Posted - 04 May 2002 :  12:43:41
this is probably a impossible, but would you be able to find how far apart two airport cards or stations are away from eachother using ping rates or somthing?
i figure if i can do this then get the distances of three or more computers from eachother and then superimpose it over a map of the room, i can find out where the computers are.
ill just ignore the fact that walls will make it seem like further, and that you could just get up and look for them yourself......

im irish, it is my duty to ask stupid questions.

(macs liberated:3 (well, its only been 2 months....)

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 04 May 2002 :  12:46:43
Ahh I don't this is a 68k question but I am lost have you tried using, Apple's Airport Software?

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:17
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 04 May 2002 :  21:19:40
From your message, this is obviously not a 68k question considering the earliest Macs to have AirPort slots rolled out of the factory in late 1999...

Captain Z? ~Coxy?

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2002 :  14:20:40
quote:

this is probably a impossible, but would you be able to find how far apart two airport cards or stations are away from eachother using ping rates or somthing?
i figure if i can do this then get the distances of three or more computers from eachother and then superimpose it over a map of the room, i can find out where the computers are.
ill just ignore the fact that walls will make it seem like further, and that you could just get up and look for them yourself......

im irish, it is my duty to ask stupid questions.

(macs liberated:3 (well, its only been 2 months....)

You might be able to use ping rates if you had a really long-distance airport setup (like miles apart). The problem is the radio waves are really really fast (300 million metres per second). So moving a node in the network by 100 feet delays the round-trip by only 200 nanoseconds (0.2 microseconds or 0.0002 milliseconds). Unless your ping measurements are really accurate (or averaged over millions of pings) it seems unlikely that you could detect even large-scale changes in the location of the computers in the network.

Now you might be able to map an airport network using a directional antenna. Stand at one location, sweep the antenna around, and find all the angles that have peak signal level. Then repeat the process at a few different locations. Finally, plot out all the angles to find were they all intersect. With enough measurements, you could zero-in on the locations of all the airport units. (with a bit'o 68k software and some hacking, you could mount the antenna on the roof of a car and automatically collect n' crunch the directional data)

BTW, your question is not stupid. If you were worried about unauthorized use of your wireless LAN, you might pay someone to map your network for you. For example, a company might get really upset to discover that someone out in the carpark is tapping into their network.

Happy mapping,

G4from128k

------------
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2002 :  14:21:38
Sorry, but the Airport technology is completely not on topic for 68K Software. Therefore, I shall impose a lock on this topic. You might want to try this question on the MacAddict forums or elseware to find an answer.

*** Thread Locked ***

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

18 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  19:59:00
In light of this new information shown of www.xlr8yourmac.com, I shall reopen this thread.

*** Thread Reopened ***

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

18 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  20:38:31
A really nice call on Captain Z.

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:17
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.