68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 I introduce to you the self-resetting monitor.
Author Topic  
raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  11:07:21
That's right. When I set the resolution to 800x600, the control panel unexpectedly quits. Or the comp freezes. Then I go option-control-command/apple and it restarts. When it restarts, it's set to 800x600, but after about, oh I don't know, 4 seconds, it switches back to 640x480. ANYONE know ANYTHING about this?? Please help.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  11:49:45
This really needs to be in Balloon Help. *waits for somebody else to log in under SuperMod*

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  12:11:49
No, it needs to be here, since I'm running 9.0 on a PPC.

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  14:27:38
quote:

No, it needs to be here, since I'm running 9.0 on a PPC.

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops

^
|
|
what he said

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  15:03:45
quote:

When it restarts, it's set to 800x600, but after about, oh I don't know, 4 seconds, it switches back to 640x480. ANYONE know ANYTHING about this?? Please help.

sounds like the safety net rigamarole on the 630's, if you pick a VGA resolution like 800 x 600, a dialog comes up asking if you want to keep the settings. if the display wigs out because it doesn't really support that res, then you can't see the dialog box to click it and the system reverts to the base resolution (might be the previous setting, dunno). if you're using a VGA monitor with a converter, the settings might be wrong or it might be the monitor doesn't support that res/freq. or it could be a driver problem, dunno. try 832 x 624 (16" Mac standard), that should work better.

you are using a multisync monitor, correct?

more info is once again required!

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 30 Apr 2002 15:05:53Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  15:24:43
You might try looking at the System Preferences folder and notice which files changed recently (especially note any that have a timestamp of when you diddled the Monitors setting, restarted after the crash or after the monitor automagically reset to the old res). I find that removing recently changed Preferences files can cure all manner of OS weirdness and start-up crankiness. Just in case, I always put the potentially sick preferences files in a spare folder outside the System folder. If this fixes the problem, then I do a quick check of critical apps just to make sure that I have not hosed anything. I have found that the Mac is pretty good at resetting itself to a decent default state after yanking any number of preferences files. (only a few of the networking/internet prefs have anything really important/hard to replace).

Failing that, have you tried booting from a CD-ROM and adjusting resolution from that copy of the OS? That might tell you if the problem is in hardware or just your working (or non-working) copy of the OS.

Hope it helps,

G4from128k

------------
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.