68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 PowerBook
 Hey, maclover5, about the PowerBook 100!
Author Topic  
MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2001 :  23:07:32
Hey, maclover5, I think I have a solution to your troubles. I was searching for info on the differences between the StyleWriter I and II, and came across this on a BB:
---
Subject: Powerbook 100 power problem
Date sent: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 09:24:29 +0000
To: cmpost <classic-post@hitznet.com>

On 3/12/97 11:20 AM Fuzzy Gerdes wrote:

I just got a PowerBook 100 for a song. I'm sure the
main battery is completely dead, because it will only
start up with the AC adapter plugged in. Whenever I do
start it up, it says "Battery Reserve Power completely
gone - will sleep in 10 seconds to preserve memory."
which it then does. My first thought was to replace the
backup memory (the 3 lithium batteries) but that
doesn't help. I've searched the Tech Info Library and
back digests of the Classic Mac mailing list, but I
can't find any mention of this problem.

I had a similar problem. Even after I got a new battery,
it still had problems when connected to the AC adapter.
It was the small socket in the computer where the AC
plug goes in, whose soldering to the motherboard was
"broken" so it made not contact well. I opened it,
removed the motherboard and remade the soldering. I was
lucky: it worked.

P.S. Does anyone know what the switch on the back of
the PB that shows the battery connected (to the AC
power?) and unconnected is for?

when it is "unconnected", ALL batteries are not
connected to the computer. This saves their power from
slowly draining out if you don't use it for some time.
Remember that with this computer you should NEVER let
the main battery drain completely.

Bye,
Cesare

---
I hope that helps! Must...get...sleep...now.

--I hope you've all had a nice Thanksgiving!

Brigadier MacScuzzy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68K Macs liberated:5

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2001 :  23:08:32
BTW, here's the link http://www.nehaia.dk/cm_archives/1997/03/970313.html

Brigadier MacScuzzy
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2001 :  23:26:55
I remember now! It's the old issue with the PB100 PS brick! Sorry I forgot about it...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Nov 2001 :  03:20:29
Thanks MacScuzzy, i'll try it out on the school holidays. How small are the solder joints? And what are the chances of completely killing the 'Book? Novice solderer here, i'm afraid!

Who knows, if i can get it working this way, the QFW68KPB project could be a successful venture!

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Nov 2001 :  14:43:26
oh yeah. One other thing. Sometimes as i'm using the PowerBook, the screen sometimes goes all white when the machine is running. Should i open up the LCD and check in there for loose connections?

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 05 Jan 2002 :  22:13:38
Hey maclover, how's it going? Or have you not yet tried it? I don't know how small the joints are, as I said, I just happened to stumble on it by fate. Hmm, fate sure is tricky.

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Jan 2002 :  08:38:26
[quote]
Hey maclover, how's it going? Or have you not yet tried it? I don't know how small the joints are, as I said, I just happened to stumble on it by fate. Hmm, fate sure is tricky.

-------------

I'd like to hear about it too. If you're a newbie with a soldering iron don't do it until you try to get Apple to fix it. I'm curious to see if they'll still honor their warranty extension for equipment failure due to defective design. If you had the original power supply supply design with a chipped rim on the connector where it snagged and broke the socket it may be a silver bullet. Apple policy was to do a freebie brick/mobo swap on those DOA 100's. Tekserve did one on mine loooong after the warranty expired and I must have gotten the very last new ones available after Apple liguidated them (price had climbed back up a little, drat!).

Anyway, good luck with it, best trackball ever produced Sony did one heck of a job on the features/form factor tradeoffs for that baby... Apple must have designed the brick.

JT

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 09 Jan 2002 :  10:43:42
you can delete your own posts only if you're logged in. it has a doc with a little trash can

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 09 Jan 2002 :  14:13:15
I deleted your double post for you. That's why I am here. (We can't let everyone have the fun of the delete button)

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  18:55:56
UPDATE: Well, it didn't work. I took out the logic board, and reheated the solder joints. After letting the solder cool, Dad and I took a multitester to the board, and he could see that there was a little bit of communication between the + and - pins. I put the 'Book back together, started up and...

It didn't fix it. It still keeps doing the same thing.

Oh well, at least i have a classy looking external 80 meg HD for my LCII, so all's not lost.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  20:26:54
quote:

It didn't fix it. It still keeps doing the same thing.

Oh well, at least i have a classy looking external 80 meg HD for my LCII, so all's not lost.

Does the PB100 work in SCSIDM (SCSI Disk Mode)?

If no, I misunderstood your post, but keep reading.

Does PB100 function at all (in any configuration whatsoever)

If no, report back ASAP, but don't give up hope quite yet.

If it works at all, we need as exact a report of the configurations you've tested and symptoms that you have observed as you can manage.

I'll take a chance that your "classy looking external 80 meg HD" is your PB100 in SCSIDM.

If it is:

1. Note the position of power cutoff switch (tip of switch up toward screen/lid or down toward bottomplate/table surface)

2. Describe the configuration(s) when PB100 is functional and what functions it will perform.

3. Describe the configuration(s) when PB100 malfunctions and note the symptoms as carefully as you can.

4. Talk to your dad and determine:

a. were you measuring pos-neg across the solder joints you fixed.

b. were you measuring across the solder joints you fixed and the power & ground traces of the mobo

c. were you measuring across pos-neg poles of the connector and the solder joints you fixed and where the probes made contact if you were.

d. or were you measuring across pos-neg poles of the connector and the power & ground traces of the mobo.

Report back ASAP and I'll dig my 100 and the manuals out of a box.......

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Jan 2002 20:29:43

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Jan 2002 20:32:21Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  14:31:46
quote:

so all's not lost.

isn't it or is it?

jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  13:29:13
quote:

<Various Questions asked by Trash80toG-4 on Jan 17, 2002>

I'm not sure about all that, but what i know is th at if i use it in SCSI disk mode, the machine will work just fine, but just as an external hard drive (as it should). However, if i disconnect the SCSI cable and try and start it up normally like a normal Mac it will tell me i only have 10 seconds of battery power left, even though i'm pluged into the power adapter. I know the power adapter's good because i've used it on a 150 a couple of times.

[Edited down the quote. I felt it was a little long... - Captain Z]

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5

Edited by - Captain Z on 02 Feb 2002 21:24:56Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  13:39:34
quote:

I'm not sure about all that, but what i know is th at if i use it in SCSI disk mode, the machine will work just fine, but just as an external hard drive (as it should). However, if i disconnect the SCSI cable and try and start it up normally like a normal Mac it will tell me i only have 10 seconds of battery power left, even though i'm pluged into the power adapter. I know the power adapter's good because i've used it on a 150 a couple of times.

Try doing a clean install (custom install for any mac) on it while it's hooked up in SCSIDM? You checked the backup batteries? If it works one way I can't figure any reason for it not to work in the other, heck, it should boot up with no battery!
jt *confused as usual*

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  20:52:35
Since i've had the thing its seen about 3 clean installs for various reasons. It should boot up with no backup batteries, also because every other PB i've seen has booted up fine with no batteries.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  21:21:01
quote:

Since i've had the thing its seen about 3 clean installs for various reasons. It should boot up with no backup batteries, also because every other PB i've seen has booted up fine with no batteries.

Actually it isn't at all like any other PB, Sony designed and built it for Apple. Its design is unrelated to the rest of the 1X0 series. Sony included that cutout switch and clear instructions to use it to protect the backup batteries from discharging during long tern storage. It makes sense to me that they must be necessary for something when it's time to boot up again. None of your symptoms make any sense at all, the backup batteries are worth a look, IMHO.
jt

Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  11:03:44
quote:
Actually it isn't at all like any other PB, Sony designed and built it for Apple.

Very true. It's basically a Mac Portable in a much smaller package.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  18:19:55
quote:

It's basically a Mac Portable in a much smaller package.

Good one! Glad I didn't elaborate (for a change) *..well....too much anyway...*, reading your clarification reminded me of the recent portable thread at fritter. The portable wouldn't run at all without the main battery installed (one source, unverified), maybe having a stack of three HUGE backup batteries is a Sony fix for that flaw. I'm not aware of any backup battery at all on my duos (knock formica). I have never had a *maybe it's tim.....* full size PB, what do they have for (or do they have) battery backup?
jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2002 :  00:16:55
quote:

Actually it isn't at all like any other PB, Sony designed and built it for Apple. Its design is unrelated to the rest of the 1X0 series. Sony included that cutout switch and clear instructions to use it to protect the backup batteries from discharging during long tern storage. It makes sense to me that they must be necessary for something when it's time to boot up again. None of your symptoms make any sense at all, the backup batteries are worth a look, IMHO.

Hmm now that i come back to the topic, i'm thinking....

I have a 3v power adapter adapter. The 100's backup batts are 3 volters. If i rip off the door, and solder a power port onto the batt contacts, and connect the 3v power adapter to that whenever i want to boot up, that should work, as the machine is getting power from the "backup power source", right?

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2002 :  06:37:57
quote:

I have a 3v power adapter adapter. The 100's backup batts are 3 volters. If i rip off the door, and solder a power port onto the batt contacts, and connect the 3v power adapter to that whenever i want to boot up, that should work, as the machine is getting power from the "backup power source", right?

NOPE!!!!!!! first, never botch up a battery compartment like that!

you'd want to build something the size of the (3?) stacked batteries with brass or even strips of metal cut from a tin can on the ends with the wires soldered to those. then you want to hook the wires up to something to give you the same voltage (9v?) as the stack of three(?) batteries of 3(?) volts each connected in series to give you a total of 9 (?) volts at the battery terminals in the PB100.

i'm thinking a standard nine volt alkaline cell like the one in the original portable prototype of the 100 might be safe to use, but you want to double check the voltages, the count and the amperages against the real backup batteries before trying. i've been meaning to get new ones and see if this is the problem with BabyPB, but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2002 :  14:57:20
Great idea JT. How much are those 9v cells, anyway? The idea of me modifying the battery compartment was so that i didn't have to spend more precious moolaa on this thing if it really is dead. I spent 50 bucks on a NIB floppy drive and internal SCSI cable to find out it still wouldn't work!

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2002 :  15:51:01
quote:

Great idea JT. How much are those 9v cells, anyway? The idea of me modifying the battery compartment was so that i didn't have to spend more precious moolaa on this thing if it really is dead. I spent 50 bucks on a NIB floppy drive and internal SCSI cable to find out it still wouldn't work!

it's just the standard "transistor battery" with the snap-on connector.

make sure you doublecheck the voltages and how much current the old ones put out agains the ratings on the 9v cell before you try this!

if you have anything down there like crap shack, you should be able to get the little snap connector with leads and a battery for a few bucks.

let me know how it works out!

jt .

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2002 :  05:23:51
My PowerBook 100 starts up just fine without any batteries, as long as the adapter is plugged in, of course.

But after having been without power for an extended period, it can be a real pain to coax het into starting up, though, whether with batteries installed or without.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2002 :  05:46:31
quote:

My PowerBook 100 starts up just fine without any batteries, as long as the adapter is plugged in, of course.

But after having been without power for an extended period, it can be a real pain to coax het into starting up, though, whether with batteries installed or without.

are your backup batteries still good?
they are VERY clear in the manual that the cutout switch in the back must be open to keep from killing them during long term storage.

just wondering if this could be your problem too. if you forgot to flip it off once, could drained backup batteries be giving you the same problems i have? i need to test mine, they're probably older than their expected shelf life by now!

jt .

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.