68k Hacks
 Project NeXT-in-a-box / PC-killer
Author Topic  
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  07:24:53
Well...my original plan was to install the Power Mac 6100 "DOS Compatibility Card" into my Quadra 650 and, after installing DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1, I would download and install OPENSTEP 4.2

Well...the installation of the card was pretty painless. I unscrewed and removed the PDS card from the right-angle adapter converter thingy and the metal bracket which holds the two. The card fit in the 650's '040 PDS just fine, but because the PDS isn't externally acessable (a-la Nubus), the cable for the card had to go through a nubus slot and connect to the card. There was only one problem. The cable connector was physically too large to fit in the (relatively) small Nubus slot opening. The only thing obstructing it was the thick metal backing of the 650's back bezel. That was easily solved with a metal-file. Well...I connected the sound cables inside, etc, then installed the software (from the original Apple disks, the newer versions on Apple's site didn't work).

I installed the two OSs, dislay and sound drivers and everything was hunky dory...

(Let it be known that you need v5.0.4 of the Apple CD-ROM driver to get CD-ROMs to work in DOS/Windows. Never versions (shipped with system 7.5.3 and later) are incompatible)

Then I got OPENSTEP. I made the two boot floppies with RaWrite using DOS on the card just fine, and burned the CD on my iMac.

The boot floppy worked, and after inserting the driver floppy to select my HD/CD-ROM controller (I selected something liek "DPA onboard SCSI controller", or something similar), it just hung on "Loading OPENSTEP". Still in the textthingy - no GUI!

I redid the process several times trying different ways to insert the CD (which, when tried to be ejected in DOS gives a beep on the mac side, and when i switched over, it gave me "this disk is incompatible, do you want to initialize, etc")

So, now I have a DOS card and nothing fun to do with it..except Win 3.1 GUI mods and the like...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  19:36:55
OpenStep and other non-Windows operating systems don't like the DOS card. The DOS card software just implements the BIOS calls necessary to run Windows; it doesn't actually emulate every device in a real Wintel PC.

If you want to run OpenStep, get a real PC. It runs great on my P166 w/40 MB RAM. I was able to open up 24 apps the other day without any crashes - these are apps like 3DReality.app and Create.app too! I love UNIX!

Macs Liberated:
SE, IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400

PCs liberated from Windows: 3Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  19:59:53
Yeah, I know that. I just wanted to make sure "they" were correct...

Perhaps I'll pluner the underdogs for DOS/Windows abanonware. They have Microsoft Bob

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.