68k Conquests
 Wish me luck!
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  05:34:07
At school, there's a guy i know who has a PowerBook 180c (Vrooooom!) he doesn't want anymore because he's got a PC.

He wants to sell it to me

I'm thinking about 30 bucks. He's thinking about the same.

Tomorrow i'm going to start wheeling and dealing with him.

So tomorrow be thinking of me and a poor little PowerBook sitting under a desk doing nothing, and then hope that it becomes One Of The Liberated and pushes my Liberated Count up to 7!

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

P.S. Dana, this means more feets in da house!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  06:08:09
quote:

and soon... soon... the Clive Barker short story shall come true...

dana

--
http://www.danamania.com/
naturally hosted on a Quadra 605
--Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  06:12:06
quote:

quote:

dana

--
--

Who The Hell Is That?™

BTW: I forgot to tell you about the PAF rating. I was talking to Mum (the main person involved in determining PAFs), and i estimate that its a 5/10 on the PAF scale...juuuuust cutting it...

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  06:29:19

quote:

[/quote]

Who The Hell Is That?™

BTW: I forgot to tell you about the PAF rating. I was talking to Mum (the main person involved in determining PAFs), and i estimate that its a 5/10 on the PAF scale...juuuuust cutting it...
[/quote]

Clive is a horror writer, and one of his short stories is where a fellow's hand decides to take on a life of its own, and cuts off his other hand to free it - and the other hand goes n tells all the hands it can find, to free themselves... and they do... lots of hands with no people attached end up running around the place, before all dying somehow. All seems to go back to normal, then some guys feet decide to go for a walk without him...

:D

dana

--
--Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2002 :  01:34:03
quote:

quote:

omg! it's started!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2019618636

dana

--
--Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2002 :  01:53:39
quote:

quote:

omg! it's started!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2019618636

dana

--
--Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2002 :  04:36:54
TOMORROW IS THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow i'm going over to where this guy lives, making an offer, and if we can negotiate a deal, i'm buying it. So, like i said in the thread title, Wish me luck, and i will come back tomorrow afternoon with my victory (hopefully!)

P.S: jt, i thought i should tell you that in anticipation of the Liberation (hey that rhymes! ), the song i'm playing the most is Mary Chapin Carpenter's "I Feel Lucky".

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2002 :  04:47:44
quote:

TOMORROW IS THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow i'm going over to where this guy lives, making an offer, and if we can negotiate a deal, i'm buying it. So, like i said in the thread title, Wish me luck, and i will come back tomorrow afternoon with my victory (hopefully!)

P.S: jt, i thought i should tell you that in anticipation of the Liberation (hey that rhymes! ), the song i'm playing the most is Mary Chapin Carpenter's "I Feel Lucky".

twist-n-shout, comrade!

good hunting!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2002 :  04:05:52
I GOT IT!!!!!!!!

Picked it up this afternoon for 25 bucks. Haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet, but its every bit as nice as i expected it to be. With it i got a carry case, an AppleDesign Keyboard (sorry FW, its the one that you dislike), and a couple of manuals: A manual for ClarisWorks, and the Macintosh Users Guide. System folder's a bit trashed up though...this weekend i'm hooking up a CD ROM drive so i can low level the drive and do a clean install of System 7.6.1. The specs:

14 megs of ram
160 meg HD
2400bps PowerBook internal modem card (remember those? )

Either way, i have it, and i LOVE IT! Another successful mission.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7

Say hello to FlyingColours: My new PowerBook 180c!!!!!!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2002 :  05:49:24
quote:

an AppleDesign Keyboard (sorry FW, its the one that you dislike

For those who don't know what he's talking about...

There are two different versions of the AppleDesign Keyboard. The "good" version which, I assume came first has a definite clickey-type sound like any normal keyboard. The "bad" version, which, again, I assume came later, has a soft "fake" typing sound...just doesn't feel right.

There are a couple ways to tell them apart
1) key texture: the good one has nice smooth keys, the bad one has slighty shiny almost bumpy keys.
2) the caps lock and alt keys. well, they're just different. The good one has the caps lock as one solid key: not a key with one of those indents in it...incoherence...the alt key on the good one is significantly smaller than the alt key on the bad one

good: http://www.adeal.com/images/ad-key.jpg
bad: http://www.mindspring.com/~ihein/MacKeyboard.JPG

ok

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2002 :  05:55:01
quote:

quote:

an AppleDesign Keyboard (sorry FW, its the one that you dislike

For those who don't know what he's talking about...

There are two different versions of the AppleDesign Keyboard. The "good" version which, I assume came first has a definite clickey-type sound like any normal keyboard. The "bad" version, which, again, I assume came later, has a soft "fake" typing sound...just doesn't feel right.

There are a couple ways to tell them apart
1) key texture: the good one has nice smooth keys, the bad one has slighty shiny almost bumpy keys.
2) the caps lock and alt keys. well, they're just different. The good one has the caps lock as one solid key: not a key with one of those indents in it...incoherence...the alt key on the good one is significantly smaller than the alt key on the bad one

good: http://www.adeal.com/images/ad-key.jpg
bad: http://www.mindspring.com/~ihein/MacKeyboard.JPG

ok

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------

Doh!

iGoofed!

Thanks for the pics FW, i just found out that i have the good keyboard, instead of the bad one. So, yeah. All my AppleDesign keyboards are good ones.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7

Say hello to FlyingColours: My new PowerBook 180c!!!!!!Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2002 :  09:22:59
Good on ya! Nice and cheap, too.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  04:07:47
quote from ~Coxy on AIM:

quote:
i can imagine your PB180c running around a 150 on its "feets"!

To tell you the truth, i don't think its healthy enough to even get up and walk.

I formatted the hard drive and did the clean OS install, like i said i was going to, and it was still freezing up like crazy. Hadn't improved it any more. I then tried formatting the hard disk and trying it in my other PowerBook: my 145B. With the HD in, i couldn't get it to successfully start up off either a System 7.1DT floppy or a System 7.6.1 CD. Since the machine has always worked flawlessly in the past, i assumed that it was the hard disk at fault, even though it works beautifully in SCSI Disk Mode connected to my LC630. I then thought: Well if the HD is causing the 145B to screw up, then maybe the PB is ok. So i put the 145B's 80 megger into the 180c. Booted straight into System 7.5.5, and other than a few typical System 7.5.x problems, the Mac worked beautifully, which made me assume that it was the HD at fault. However, the internal modem is toast, which screws up my plans of going retro and loading CyberDog on there. Oh well.

Aaaaaanyways, all was going well, until last night, when i noticed that the screen started displaying everything with a red tint. I opened the case and checked all the connections. Everything was secure. After this, i remembered that some of the keys on my keyboard had started to go earlier on last night. The trackball had also stopped functioning. A memory came back to me from my 145B where after i put the display cable in the only part of the top shell that worked was the display, no backlight, speaker or keyboard/trackball. I then remembered i fixed all that in one shot when i dug into my parts bin and found a replacement interconnect board, and ended up with a working 145B.

So i'm now thinking that if i find another interconnect board, i may be able to ressurrect my baby, and have it back on the road. I really hope so, because for sure, i'm going to get some GREAT parts out of it, but it really would rock to get it going again.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

Because of this, i have adjusted my sig accordingly, until i can unearth another interconnect board.

Edited by - maclover5 on 06 May 2002 04:26:10Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.