All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Found Outbound (long posting)
Author Topic  
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2002 :  17:47:53
On Saturday I liberated another Mac, my second liberation and the 10th Mac to enter my life. At a garage sale I saw a black case with the nearly-forgotten kangaroo logo of Outbound Systems. (The logo is similar to the kangaroo on the backside of those old, large Australian pennies.) Inside the black nylon pouch was an Outbound notebook computer.

The owner/seller proclaimed the machine to be "the first notebook computer ever" and a "real antique." Needless to say, such bogus boasts put me in fear for my wallet. Nor was the machine in the best of shape; the battery was missing entirely, and there were two hideous fuzzy velcro patches plastered in the space between the keyboard and screen. The owner also claimed that the assortment of junk that came with it included all manuals, etc. (In reality the manuals consisted of a Quicken Manual and an old Peachtree Accounting box, software, manuals, etc.) But, I bought it anyway.

I half remember some of the history of this machine and the company (corrections and amplifications from those more knowledgable will be welcome). The company made an unauthorized Macintosh notebook at about the time that the luggable appeared. Becuase it was not officially sanctioned by Apple, somehow you had to get a set of ROMs to make it work (I recall that the company would convert a Mac Plus, or something like that). And, indeed, an easy-to-remove hatch revealed a "ROMSIMM" with two Apple-labeled ROM chips and a paper label citing a PO# for the computer. The company also had some sort of trademark difficulties with their name (I can't remember, but I think that changed the name to or from "Kangaroo computers").

Getting it home, I plugged the machine in but then wondered how to turn it on (there was no obvious switch or power button). Fortunately hitting the ubiquitous "Any" key brought the sweet "bong" sound of an early 68k Mac and an Outbound kangaroo startup/splash screen. I heard the disk spin up, heads moving, but then I waited, and waited. The heads moved a few more times, and still I waited, and waited. Finally, I got the inevitable disk-n-question-mark icon of a Mac sans startup disk. Rats, thought I, a dead hard-disk.

But then I tried killing the power and booting again. After a bit of a wait, I was rewarded with a happy Mac and a normal start (subsequent starts have been trouble-free, but I keep my fingers crossed). After startup, the screen was looked really yucky, dim, low contrast, with a significant darkening of the lower half of the screen. Fortunately, a control panel called "Notebook" offered controls for brightness and contrast that let me create quite an acceptable image. The screen is a monochrome (Unfortunately, the PRAM battery is dead or the machine relies on the now missing battery pack, because each time I unplug it, it loses the improved screen settings.)

Why the machine did not start promptly the first time is a total mystery (it wasn't the dreaded "stiction" as I am reasonably sure that I heard the drive spinning.) Anyway, the machine has an 80 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, and system 7.1. The "Notebook" control panel also had an icon with a computer and question mark that when clicked offered these salient facts about the configuration:

Outbound Model: 2030E Notebook
Processor: 68030 -- but no indication of the speed
ROM Type: Macintosh Plus
ROM Version: 117, rev B
ROM Checksum: 4D1EEAE1
Appletalk Version: 57
Physical RAM: 8192k
System RAM: 7936k -- I assume the missing 256k runs the display

(I found more info at lowendmac)

The machine, like all Outbound computers, also has an unusual pointing device in the form of a trackbar. The bar is a finely-gridded metallic rod that sits below and parallel to the space bar. The bar rolls and slides to move the pointer vertically and horizontally, respectively. It only has about 1.7 inches of left-right travel (which is not enough for edge-to-edge travel at slow speeds). At the limits of sideways travel, a gentle push accelerates the pointer in the appropriate direction. Two mouse buttons, one on either side of the bar, round out the input controls. The backside of the machine features a power jack, DB-25 SCSI port, two serial ports, ADB port, and audio-out jack. A flip-down cover conceals all but the power jack. The machine also has a 1.4 MB floppy drive, and a easily removed hatch for the harddisk (although I have not tried to yank the HD out yet.)

As for software, I suspect that the previous owner stripped it before selling it. The only software on disk was a non-functioning copy of version 4 of Microsoft Orifice, a motley assortment of other Microsoft products, and Macwrite II. But the preferences folder had files for a number of other missing applications (Stuffit, Diskdoubler, atOnce!, Spectre, Quicken, etc.). The one bit'o manual from Outbound Systems alluded to a SCSI application that let you do direct computer-to-computer SCSI transfers. Alas, this application was not on the disk.

The junk with the computer included a battery-powered "Pocket Fax Modem" (9600 baud fax/ 2400 baud data). This little modem had the matching velcro hook patches so the prior owner could affix the modem to the computer. There was also a second power supply that might be for the computer (or not), and assorted cables. With the junk as a long, rubberized handle-shaped metal rod that proved to be the back feet/prop-up bar for the machine. It also came with a small Torx wrench in a ziploc bag with the label "Screen Brake Wrench" This adjusts the friction on the screen swivel and also fits the screws that hold the case together.

I have yet to open the case to probe its innards. The machine has stymied my attempts at entry ( I suspect there is a latch and/or extra screws in the trackbar area).

Sorry for the long posting (I did warn you in the title), but I am quite elated to both find this old computer and to find a community of like-minded Mac users.

Happy hunting to all, and to all a good night,

G4from128k

P.S. The price for the "first notebook computer ever." $3!!!!!!!!!!

------------
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2002 :  18:54:06
A nice find...
I've got an idea: every story and post like this which whould be good for the website we can mark with a tag, ands then search for them when we want to do some work...

Keyword "Website Article"?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2002 :  21:59:37
Thats a lot of writing.

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:17
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  10:05:49
Jesus...$3 for an Outbound!!!! They handful I've seen on eBay have fetched hundreds....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  14:07:32
Very nice find... very nice indeed.

now that garage sale season is starting, I'm on the prowl for old Macs, and a small espresso machiene. Depending on what I find, I might encase an espresso machine IN an old Mac.

~marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  14:09:36
I read the lowendmac listing.

Are you trying to find a compatible camcorder batt for it?

~marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  15:45:33
Re: Battery:

I am not sure if I will rehabilitate the machine to full portable status. I hope the machine (or the 68k gods) won't be too offended by operating the notebook in tethered mode. If I do decide to get a battery, it looks like I can get a battery at Outbound Service. This site claims to offer replacement batteries for $50. Marchie, if you know a better alterantive, I would certainly love to hear about it.

RE: Garage Sales

I do all of my liberating/finding from garage sales. I'm too much of an MLA dilettante to go on e-Bay. I also pickup dead cameras and camcorders. The cameras and camcorders, unlike Macs, get disassembled to satisfy my curiosity and reduce stress. ("When in doubt, take all the screws out" is my motto.)

Happy hunting,

G4from128k

------------
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  15:55:52
quote:

The cameras and camcorders, unlike Macs, get disassembled to satisfy my curiosity and reduce stress. ("When in doubt, take all the screws out" is my motto.)
------------

LOL! a packrat after my own heart! i LOVE tearin'stuff down! (macs too!)

your sig makes me think of that silly ben stiller movie i saw recently with the kid. HAR!™

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  18:25:58
I like it how the Mr. Java coffee makers are included in the GURU database of Macs...

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 Apr 2002 :  23:33:53
quote:

I like it how the Mr. Java coffee makers are included in the GURU database of Macs...

00014 Macs liberated

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Hey...what processor does Mr. Java run off anyway? I forgot.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  06:47:42
quote:

LOL! a packrat after my own heart! i LOVE tearin'stuff down! (macs too!)

Am I a packrat? Guilty as charged! I have a spare bedroom that is Ye Olde Junke Roome (motto: "Despair ye machines that enter here for ye shall not leave but in pieces.")

To limit my junk intake I have taken to walking to garage sales, not driving. This severely limits my total weekend haul but does lead to some frustration -- do I buy the dead printer at garage sales #1 or wait to see what I find at garage sales #2? Admittedly, I do occasionally cheat by buying an object and then making a second walking trip to pick it it up.

Happy hunting,

G4from128k

------------

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  06:50:59
quote:

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

Will Mr. Java coffee makers face extinction from Mr. .NET coffeemakers? What if Microsoft buys Starbucks? Does that mean that Microsoft will bundle a coffee maker into the OS? (New! Improved! Windows Dark Roast!) Will the machine use the copious quantities of heat from Intel processors to brew coffee? Will coffeemakers occasionally have the blue screen of death? Will security holes mean that hackers will switch my morning blend to decaf??!!!!!!

Now cowering in fear,

G4from128k

------------

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  14:17:28
quote:

quote:

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

Will Mr. Java coffee makers face extinction from Mr. .NET coffeemakers? What if Microsoft buys Starbucks? Does that mean that Microsoft will bundle a coffee maker into the OS? (New! Improved! Windows Dark Roast!) Will the machine use the copious quantities of heat from Intel processors to brew coffee? Will coffeemakers occasionally have the blue screen of death? Will security holes mean that hackers will switch my morning blend to decaf??!!!!!!

Now cowering in fear,

G4from128k

------------

Thanks for telling me to never try coffee. If i want caffiene i'll get a Coke.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  14:41:12
quote:

What if Microsoft buys Starbucks? Does that mean that Microsoft will bundle a coffee maker into the OS? (New! Improved! Windows Dark Roast!) Will the machine use the copious quantities of heat from Intel processors to brew coffee? Will coffeemakers occasionally have the blue screen of death? Will security holes mean that hackers will switch my morning blend to decaf??!!!!!!

jamaican blue screen of death??!!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  18:18:03
This one always cracks me up:
Sound output: plop, plopping sound.
Processor speed: 0.5 cups/min
RAM size: 5 oz.

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2002 :  18:18:13
This one always cracks me up:
Sound output: plop, plopping sound.
Processor speed: 0.5 cups/min
RAM size: 5 oz.

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2002 :  06:04:30
Me thinks if I drink Microsoft Coffee, I will suffer from the Blue Screen of Decaf

Currently in search of my first Quadra Mocha of the day,

G4from128k

------------

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2002 :  06:47:27
quote:

Currently in search of my first Quadra Mocha of the day,

LC-QuadraChino . . . . mit feets!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2002 :  10:01:59
As someone who just picked up a Mac Portable with a dead battery I agree this is a pretty cool thing to find. I don't for a minute think my Portable will ever be a practical portable machine, it weighs nearly as muchg as an SE/30, but it is no less a cool thing to have.

As far as coffee is concerned I drink Columbian, it grows under Banana trees, tastes good and Microsoft can't get near it because of the 'problems'.

Oh and I do take feets in my coffee too

--
Mark Benson

Visit FlatPackMacs Online
http://fpm.gotdns.com

We have feets

Macs Liberated = 9

Edited by - SiliconValleyPirate on 01 May 2002 10:08:25Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2002 :  19:31:48
I have this old PC (I know, its not a mac) that weighs just as much as my whole desktop computer! (They called this portable!?!?!)

It was upgraded once. from a 286 to a 386.
It now has...
Intel 386(I think SX) 33MHz
40MB IDE HD
2MB (i think) RAM
Monochrome built in screen (the orange type)

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.