All Forums
 PowerBook
 AppearanceLib blues
Author Topic  
noirwest

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2001 :  05:51:31
Okay, before I get blasted I want to point out that I was invited.....

I was just given a 540c because its owner played around with it and trashed the 'AppearanceLib' or at least that's what the first error message reads. I don't know if anything else is lurking behind there since I haven't been able to get past it. In fact, that's about all I do know about it. I've tried to start with the extensions off but get the same message. I don't own the funky old AAUI cable yet but not sure what I'll do with it when I get one unless appleshare happens to be on already.

I did the Pram thing seven times and have tried every disc utility I could make a floppy start-up disk from, tech tool, fwb, norton and none of them will run on this machine. I was thinking it had at least 7.6.1 installed but maybe it's an older OS?

Any ideas?

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2001 :  09:55:04
From what you are describing, it is possible they had Mac OS 8 installed there, which in that case, trashing ApperenceLib basicly kills the interface of the entire OS.

If it is possible, get ahold of Mac OS 7.6.1, and install that. You may have to back up any existing software from the drive and wipe it clean.

BTW< nice score of a PB540c

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

noirwest

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2001 :  15:16:23
Hey Z I got it to start up from a disc I made that had the first part of system 8.1 install on it but got a disc error message. I've got an Apple System Restore disc that covers everything from 6 to 8.1 and I'm wondering if there is anything special that I need to do to make a floppy the start up disc? I'd love to put 7.6.1 on it but it doesn't recognize the first disc for that. It looks like I need to use hd set up and wipe it, not a problem since there is nothing in here I want, but I haven't figured out the secret of making start up floppies...not quite as simple as telling toast that is what I want to do...

Jeez, I just said the same thing twice up there, didn't I? Guess that's what happens when you stay up playing with a new toy all night.

Go to Top of Page

noirwest

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2001 :  15:27:47
Oh, another thing before I wander off for a nap, can you tell me what the SCSI connection on this PB is called so I know what kind of adapter to look for? I'm sitting here puzzling over making disc images and such while there is a perfectly serviceable external 2X cd in a box in the closet. I'm not sure of what the connection on that thing is called, either, just that it is bloody huge compared to this tiny little thing I'm looking at. Or do I need to comb the net to find an external cd designed for this?

Go to Top of Page

noirwest

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2001 :  15:51:27
One more from the Dept. of silly questions:
If I bought the right torx screwdriver and opened the 540 up what kind of hard drive connection would I be looking at? I've never owned a pb, can you tell? Does this thing have a standard 50 pin connector? Could I just pull it and install it in one of my 6100's or take a drive out of a 7600 and tuck it in there all nice and cozy and just go crazy?

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2001 :  17:33:59
quote:

Oh, another thing before I wander off for a nap, can you tell me what the SCSI connection on this PB is called so I know what kind of adapter to look for? I'm sitting here puzzling over making disc images and such while there is a perfectly serviceable external 2X cd in a box in the closet. I'm not sure of what the connection on that thing is called, either, just that it is bloody huge compared to this tiny little thing I'm looking at. Or do I need to comb the net to find an external cd designed for this?

The SCSI connection of the Powerbooks is on a HDI-30 connector. The adapter your looking for is either the HDI-30 Powerbook SCSI cable or HDI-29 Powerbook System cable. Either one will do the job of file transfer, but the system cable costs more, and can be directly linked to another Mac via SCSI, and act as if it was a hard drive. Either way, the SCSI cable has a Cent-50 connector on the other end, which can connect to your SCSI CD-ROM drive easily. No specialty CD-ROM needed.

quote:

One more from the Dept. of silly questions:
If I bought the right torx screwdriver and opened the 540 up what kind of hard drive connection would I be looking at? I've never owned a pb, can you tell? Does this thing have a standard 50 pin connector? Could I just pull it and install it in one of my 6100's or take a drive out of a 7600 and tuck it in there all nice and cozy and just go crazy?

Although the drive is SCSI, it is not able to be swapped with a drive from a Power Mac 6100 or 7600, because those systems used 3.5" HD's. Powerbooks use 2.5" SCSI hard drives, so swapping is out of the question

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2001 :  23:16:46
Also, it's a pain in the @ss to get to the HD in those models! I believe you need the Disk Tools disk.

[Off topic]
You have one of those nifty CD's? Me too! But mines sorta cracked, but all I really need is the disk image for 7.6, and that seems to work great.
[/Off topic]

quote:
Okay, before I get blasted I want to point out that I was invited.....

All are welcome here, and your talking about a 540c, so it's 100% fine. (err, well, I guess it's really kinda up to the Mod here...ah...*slinks back to Apple ][*) God I need sleep *thud*

Brigadier MacScuzzy
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.