All Forums
 PowerBook
 Portable drives...
Author Topic  
SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  17:36:39
I have aquired (free no less) an original Mac Portable (luggable more like!!) during a buying spree. It has a dead hard disk and a dead battery set. I know I can get the L/A battery rebuilt and the backup battery is also no problem. The hard disk however is not gonna be easy to replace. It has a nonm-standard connector and cabling arrangement. I think, from the layout of the logic board, that theere was als oa dual floppy model, am I right? If so, is it easier to find a second floppy and use that instead, rplaceing the bezel with a floppy bezel?

--
Mark Benson

Visit FlatPackMacs Online
http://fpm.gotdns.com

We have feets

Macs Liberated = 9

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  18:35:18
quote:

I have aquired (free no less) an original Mac Portable (luggable more like!!) during a buying spree. It has a dead hard disk and a dead battery set. I know I can get the L/A battery rebuilt and the backup battery is also no problem. The hard disk however is not gonna be easy to replace. It has a nonm-standard connector and cabling arrangement. I think, from the layout of the logic board, that theere was als oa dual floppy model, am I right? If so, is it easier to find a second floppy and use that instead, rplaceing the bezel with a floppy bezel?

that's what "guide to the macintosh family hardware" (second edition) says! either or! go for it!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  08:01:30
The mac portable actually uses standard, 3.5", low-profile (1" high) 50-pin SCSI drives. They're a whole lot easier to come by than 2.5" SCSI drives!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  09:54:11
Standard in size, but not in connection!

Some weird Connor drive was used, with a very unorthodox connector on it. However, it is possible to make an adapter cable that'll allow a standard SCSI HD to be used. Look around on the web and you'll find instructions, and there's even some people selling them if you don't feel you're up to making one yourself.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  10:07:43
quote:
However, it is possible to make an adapter cable that'll allow a standard SCSI HD to be used.

Ohh yeah, forgot about that!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  11:40:42
quote:

quote:
However, it is possible to make an adapter cable that'll allow a standard SCSI HD to be used.

Ohh yeah, forgot about that!

dangit! i thought i was gonna get to play with my own portable, fedex brought my first two toyboxes from eBay just now, the first one was the Laser 128, which is cool, but not THAT cool.

the second one was the gaggle of cables-joysticks-terminators-video adapters+mice, what a letdown! no MongoBook!

the killer is, normally i'd be THRILLED with that load of peripherals and infracture, two flights of fancy felled with one projectile!

bummer!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2002 :  10:15:36
quote:

Standard in size, but not in connection!

Some weird Connor drive was used, with a very unorthodox connector on it. However, it is possible to make an adapter cable that'll allow a standard SCSI HD to be used. Look around on the web and you'll find instructions, and there's even some people selling them if you don't feel you're up to making one yourself.

yah! battery voodoo to!
http://www.mzdt.fsnet.co.uk/hackplus/portablefaq.txt

i LOVE my new (ostensibly) portable toy! another one should be arriving soon! maybe that one'll be backlit!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.