Lounge
 Copied Files Weirdness!
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  10:41:30
So yesterday I was trying to setup my Seagate ST410800N, a full-height, 9GB SCSI drive that's well known by Dana (and others) for use in my IIci. However, it seemed to be having some difficulty. I was able to transfer hundreds of small files to it, but some larger files, those that were 50MB or larger, kept getting disk errors and couldn't be copied to it. Even after doing a low-level format, which took over 3 hours, they still couldn't be copied.

The weird thing is that when you're copying them, the status bar goes almost to 100%, saying that iot has less than a minute left, then suddenly it stops and says 1,973,000 hours remaing. I even took a screenshot of it, but haven't uploaded it yet. I'll let you guys see it tomorrow!

P.S. - I tried running Norton Disk Doctor on the drive, and it finds a ton of errors, even after the low-level format. But, before it can fix them, it crashes. So, for now the drive is fine for fairly unimportant stoage of smaller files, but I don't think I'll be able to use it as a boto drive for the IIci.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 25 Apr 2002 10:51:34

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  18:17:57
try dragging the biggies onto the desktop and then copying them from there, that works really well for file not found errors.

the best way that i've found to get around balky file transfers is to open it up and save as right from the app!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

zsarillian
Starting Member

23 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  19:42:13
It sounds like your SCSI friend is turning in his notice I had this problem with a drive once, and it died fairly soon thereafter. As you're probably aware, though, SCSIs are pretty good about giving you warning before they buy the farm... more than can be said of a lot of IDEs. Good luck!

"I never go into the Office on Sundays... baaaaad Juju"

68k's liberated: 3
Looking for an 840A/V Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  23:36:46
quote:

So yesterday I was trying to setup my Seagate ST410800N, a full-height, 9GB SCSI drive that's well known by Dana (and others) for use in my IIci. However, it seemed to be having some difficulty. I was able to transfer hundreds of small files to it, but some larger files, those that were 50MB or larger, kept getting disk errors and couldn't be copied to it.

yes! thats -exactly- what I had at one stage, on the 950's internal bus! it would crash on bigger files, but small ones - could copy to it forever... but then theyd be corrupt anyhows, which sucked :(. Do the small ones work for you?

That was the bit I suspected was a problem with the drive disconnecting itself from the bus from time to time, which the 950's internal bus didn't -fully- support on some other drives I read about online... but the SiliconExpressIV I have DOES fully support - and works happily with.

maybe

dana (I spilled out this message after being awake barely an hour. excuse any sense I might accidentally make...)

--
http://www.danamania.com/
hosted on 68k - LC630/40
--Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  05:32:52
quote:

dana (I spilled out this message after being awake barely an hour. excuse any sense I might accidentally make...)

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  09:34:05
quote:
the best way that i've found to get around balky file transfers is to open it up and save as right from the app!

Yeah, I tried that too. It's a not a big deal, I haven't really used the big drive for anything until now, and since I got it for free I don't have any real attachment to it. I think these ST410800N's are just bad news. Taking a look at eBay lately, you'll notice there's just a flood of them being sold in external cases for $5 or less.

I might try using a newer disk repair utility to see if I can fix it, but most likely it'll end up become one very funky paperweight.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.