Help me fix this
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2002 :  21:55:31
iMac.

Monitor won;t power up, but the rest powers fine, and it has a valid system, because it plays a movie on startup, andI can hear it over the speakers.

Anyone know of any fuses that die, or cables that come loose?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2002 :  22:36:21
quote:

iMac.

Monitor won;t power up, but the rest powers fine, and it has a valid system, because it plays a movie on startup, andI can hear it over the speakers.

Anyone know of any fuses that die, or cables that come loose?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

~~"We are all Mad here"~~

I'd say that the A/V board is dead. Unfortunately, you'll need to get another for your cool hack to work.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2002 :  23:26:47
Which model iMac?

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:17
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  00:52:12
quote:

Which model iMac?

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

He told me its a tray loading iMac.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  01:13:18
Can't he use a external monitor like what we where talking about eariler maclover?

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  03:27:05
quote:

Can't he use a external monitor like what we where talking about eariler maclover?

Jeremy

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
ENTER THROUGH THE GATES

Yeah he can, as long as its not one of the old Apple fixed sync displays.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  11:29:52
Ok, I NEED to be able to use the internal display!

It's a tray loader, BlueBerry.

hmm... anyone have sources for iMac analog board repair manuals?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  19:13:27
You could always hack it into a different case and use an external monitor, I suppose. But are you good at high voltage work?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  01:36:37
quote:

You could always hack it into a different case and use an external monitor, I suppose. But are you good at high voltage work?

00014 Macs liberated

Umm, he moderates the Compact Macs forum here.

He took up that position because he's good at working with CRTs and analog boards and stuff.

Therefore, i think he knows how to work around high voltages.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  05:22:34
<rant>
As with any fault, you have to give us a bit more tham "iMac, boots up, no monitor" The make, model and type of hardware is always required - whether it's a Mac, PC or a VHS video player! Then a full description of the fault.
</rant>

You Honour, Judges of this Court Martial, Major ~Coxy, Ladies and Gentlemen of the courtroom. The case before you today is simple. Did Chaplain Marchie, posessing full knowledge of the problem at hand, pass on enough information to his superior Officers so that they could make an informed judgement, as to the best approach for committing troops to the battle front code named Deep Purple. I speak of course about the battle for vision on the allegedly 'purple' iMacintosh personal computer previously owned by an unknown Mercenary, possibly of dubious alliance.

Captain Chaplain Major Marchie, under what circumstances did you aquire said iMac? More to the point, and it is a very valid point Your Honour - the point is: was the imac working previously? Or is the previous owner of the allegedly 'Purple' iMacintosh personal computer simply 'ditching it' because the problem is terminal!? Believe me Your Honour, terminal is not a word I use lightly. Because if this iMac is terminal Your Honour, and i only say 'if' because we have not yet sent in our troops - our dedicated sons and daughters no less - if this iMac is terminal, and given said previous problems, should not the iMac Tank be completely stripped down for spare parts for redistribution amongst the ranks. Or indeed Your Honour, is the good Chaplain, a Chaplain Your Honour, heinously with-holding vital information, and thereby restricting the flow of rations that are vitally needed back at the front.

In short Your Honour, there is ablsolutely no proof, proof Your Honour, before the court today that suggests that the Chaplain has attempted pass on vital information, such as whether there are any signs of life in the Monitor at all, or indeed the video circuitry of the iMac itself. The fact that it passes the Power On Self Test - a 'POST' they call it, and boots up, and plays a movie - even though we cannot see it, suggests that in fact there is nothing wrong with the hardware. However we cannot confirm, nor deny these reports and therefore cannot be certain of the status of the aforementioned hardware.
Likewise Your Honour, there is no mention at all of whether there is any physical dammage. Physical damage that, once described, would lead to our leaders creating theories of that could be wrong, and the logical deployment of resources and troops to the battlefield. If indeed Your Honour, it is a faulty analog board, then we would have to send in our finest and most brave to neutralize the situation. On the other hand it may only be necessary to zap the PRAM, or replace the battery. And in that case, if we had sent in the troops for a fruitless mission that any Corporal could do, then we would have dangerously committed what may be construed as a hostile attack on a defenceless enemy.
And finally Your Honour there has been blasphemy. By the Chaplain! Blasphemy Sir, because the object of Deep Purple project is not of our kind. It is not a lowly Compact Mac, an underpowered Performa, nor is it an entirely underestimated, understated, overclocked Quadra. Neither is it a comely computer possessing of feets. NO Your Honour, this purple beast is not of our kind at all for it is possesed of a PowerPC Central Proton Unit. This is a direct countermand of the contraband!

In conclusion Your Honour it is obvious that apples must be compared with apples, and it is well known that the Apples are always greener on the other side of the fence. So therefore the only conclusion that can be reached is that you can lead them to water but you can't eat them. Drink more fruit.

I rest my case.

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  06:13:59
quote:

<rant>
As with any fault, you have to give us a bit more tham "iMac, boots up, no monitor" The make, model and type of hardware is always required - whether it's a Mac, PC or a VHS video player! Then a full description of the fault.
</rant>
I rest my case.

68k Periperals moderator chimes in for the first time in his official capacity:

as to the first charge: guilty

mitigating circumstance: i think anybody whose primary computer flatlines tends to forget about SOP, we need a field dressing howto/form that comrades can fill out (coherently! HAR!) while panicked.

sentence: commuted

as to the second charge: case dismissed without (forgot the word, but charges can be brought up again without double-jeopoardy)

decision: it is my understanding that marchie was attempting to install an external connector/video switchout circuit that would allow him to run a larger monitor from the contraband item or to run it as a headless servant and utilize the contraband's internal monitor as a periperal (external monitor) for a righteous 68k Asset.

jt . .

p.s. without "prejudice" (civil court term, not sure it's applicable anyway)

p.p.s. and , yes, i know how to spell peripheral!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 26 Apr 2002 06:32:51Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  08:12:46
As long as the iMac's official use is being a peripheral to a 68k computer, then it's OK, I suppose.

But that post was terrific!!!!!!!!!!! Website feature article!

00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  09:33:50
quote:

As long as the iMac's official use is being a peripheral to a 68k computer, then it's OK, I suppose.

HAR!™

you sound dissapointed! did you have your stick out already?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2002 :  08:46:54
Hey now.. I mentioned later that it was a BLueBerry tray loader...

The term you are looking for jt is dismissed without prejudice.

I'm not sure on the exact revision. Is that printed on the mobo?

It's at least a C isn't it? blueberry?

It came to me broken, because of this monitor problem, from the University of Michigan.

I'm willing to pay for repairs if need be (replacement of analog board or something)

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2002 :  17:01:35
External displays on iMacs aren't supported till the slot loading models.

-
do you like green eggs and ham?*

*note - due to requests i put a dividing line in it looks like this "-" don't miss it... lol...Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2002 :  19:21:25
quote:

-

*note - due to requests i put a dividing line in it looks like this "-" don't miss it... lol...

LOL! hey, foetoid! peripherals in MY turf, i could edit in an apropriate dividing line, so you might want to dispense with that little dig in this forum!

whatever . . . in another thread, marchie had outlined a hack to divert the older iMac's internal 15 pin video feed to a switchbox setup so he could drive the internal imac monitor from the mobo or use it as a display for the feed from a 68k hooked up to a hacked video IN port. (i think!?!)

sounded pretty cool, i hope he pulls it off!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2002 :  23:36:34
quote:

-

*note - due to requests i put a dividing line in it looks like this "-" don't miss it... lol...

actually, external displays do *work* on a tray loading iMac, but they are not *supported*. That is, if you do it, and something goes wrong, Apple won't give a damn. As a matter of fact, as long as you aren't using one of the old fixed sync Apple displays, an external display will work great on a tray loading iMac, and depending on the monitor it is possible to get resolutions up to 1600x1200, a noticable improvement over 1024x768.

Ah well, enough blabbing, LETS DO IT! Here's how to connect an external display to your tray loading iMac:

1. Shut down the iMac and disconnect all cables.
2. Take out the screw on the bottom.
3. Using the handle, pull the plastic base off the computer.
4. Using a Phillips head screwdriver, undo the thumbscrews on the DB-15 connector, and then disconnect this cable. This is the cable for the internal display.
5. After Step 4, you will have revealed a DB-15 monitor connector. An Apple display can just plug straight in here, or you can use a Mac -> VGA converter to connect a SuperVGA monitor.
6. Put the iMac back upright, but don't put the plastic cover back on. Switch on the external monitor, then the iMac. The light on the iMac will stay amber, but don't worry about this. It is amber because the internal monitor is switched off. The computer should come up on the external display.

Thats pretty much all there is to it. Marchie doesn't need to know this (he already knows), but i'm posting this here for the people who are unaware of this cool trick. It is impossible to get an extended desktop on an iMac, but hey, a 17 inch display running at 1600x1200 is better than nothin, right?

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.