mac plus help/buying stuff possible
Author Topic  
blobbo
Starting Member

Canada
7 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2002 :  13:39:53
hey all,

so i just grabbed a mac plus/mouse/keyboard/stylewriter II (i think?) for $10CAN. not bad, i thought. oh yeah, external floppy drive, too. plus all the cables. so i got pretty excited, and i'm wondering what i can run on it. will prince of persia run? i loved that game... anyway, what i really want to know is:

how difficult/ornary is it to constantly run off floppies? i'm leaning towards buying a tiny (read: 10-20mgs :)) HD to attach to it, so i have something closer to a real mac... i'm not really accustomed to floppy-disk loading :) my first mac was a performa 5200CD - yes, i started with PPC... so what do you think? does anyone have an HD that i could get off them for cheap? i'm thinking about 5 bucks here... i think i saw a 240mg one go for 9, so does anyone have a tiny one for very little? i also have a fully operational LC with monitor/28.8 modem/stylewriter II (yes, i have 2 :)), but all i use it for is playing risk :). anyway, i love these old computers and thought it was fun seeing one of these little machines. a little compulsive i guess :). advice/offers please? thanks.

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2002 :  15:33:35
For whatever it's worth, those old Plus's run just fine from floppies- it's even possible to get a Plus setup as a webserver with just two floppies and a SCSI-to-Ethernet adapter.
As far as hard drives, first look into finding an external SCSI case- the Plus has no internal SCSI connector, so (unless you feel like some serious hardware hacking) your gonna need a case to hold your drive. Once you've got that, no prob- stick a SCSI drive in and off you go!
Have fun with that thing!
SpaceBoy <still misses his old Plus... sigh>

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  08:46:43
My first mac was a Plus (back in '86), and I ran it off nothing but the internal and one external floppy drive for several years. Then, around 1992, I got an external, 80MB hard drive. Wow...those were the days. I remember when System 7.1 came out, I thought I was the shyte! 4 megs of RAM and 80 megs of disk space, I created an underground zine on it, used it to telnet with my friends performas, and played lots of games...

BTW - the black and white version of POP (version 1.0) will work fine on the Plus!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.