Balloon Help
 Stuffing a bigger drive into a Mac SE
Author Topic  
MadMan 459
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts
Posted - 21 Nov 2001 :  13:45:19
You may have seen the thread I started over at MABB in the Vintage Macs forum, but just in case, I thought I should post it here too.

I have a 500 MB, Apple-branded Quantum Fireball SCSI hard drive I'd like to stick in my newly-liberated Mac SE FDHD. I can't seem to get the Mac to recognize it though. I've tried all the SCSI id addresses and no luck. Is it the Mac itself or is it a limitation of 7.01 and the Apple HD SC Setup program?

Captain Z suggested (over there) that I need a program that will format the drive with a 2:1 interleave ratio. Programs like what? Any ideas on what can do the job and where I can get it? Also, the only other Mac w/SCSI I have is my 6500, and it won't run anything under 7.6. (I think) so I'd have to be able to set it all up from the SE.

This is making me nuts!

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 Nov 2001 :  18:48:38
I think you need a really old drive formatting program. Someone else may know its name, and you can try a similar post in Compact Macs.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 24 Nov 2001 :  14:56:32
First thing off, the PowerMac 6500 can use System 7.5.5.

Well, you have a problem greator then interleave ratios if the Mac can't 'see' the drive in Apple HD SC (which, BTW, is that 'old' program your thinking of.) Make sure the HD is connected properely and the power cards are all in place. You might also try to use Drive Setup, but I don't think it will run on a 68000 CPU.

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 26 Nov 2001 :  08:41:50

Don't you have to use like a 3:1 interleave ratio (or was it 1:3?) on the older machines? I seem to remember something like that from MA's This Old Mac series.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

Private Entrance
Starting Member

17 Posts
Posted - 01 Dec 2001 :  18:48:05
I was under the impression that the Mac SEs were fast enough to I/O 5MB/sec SCSI directly.

The issue with pre-SE Macs was that the processor wasn't fast enough to I/O the 'insanely' fast SCSI ports, hence the interleaving, which is 3:1.

Private Entrance
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs liberated: 5

Edited by - Private Entrance on 01 Dec 2001 19:07:32Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 03 Dec 2001 :  01:17:53
You need Lido7.56, I had a kinda of simular problem but i used this and it helped. its like apples disk utility but better. I can send you if u can email me.. TiMacLover@mac.com thanks

jeremy

"If we go down the shitter the whole ecosystem goes down the shitter."

Steve Jobs

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 11 Dec 2001 :  12:07:51
It's not the interleave factor that's the problem, setting the wrong interleave ratio will only slow the drive down,nothing more.

The problem might be that the drive has been fitted with a newer version of the Apple disk driver, which cannot be recognized by older drive formatting software. The solution is to connect the drive to a newer Mac, run drive Setup and remove the Apple Driver partition. Don't install a new driver, do that from your older Mac. That way, the drive should be recognized.

,xtG
.tsooJ

RTFMGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.