All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 Q: 68k's and BIG hard drives
Author Topic  
zsarillian
Starting Member

23 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  15:15:03
Hi All. Just wondering; I'm thinking of cramming a 73 gig SCSI into a Quadra 840 for some video work. Can the Quadra handle it - the drive, that is - (I'll have it on an ATTO SE IV)? What's the lowest OS I can use that will see the whole drive?

I would've gone for a RAID, but with the prices of drives falling, and the fact that I'd need it to be a software RAID (which would slow me down ), I thought squeezing one of these big honkers in might do a better job. What do you think?

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2002 :  08:09:42
System 7.5.3 is the lowest OS that will see the entire drive, but even if you go below that you'd still be able to use it so long as every partition was no more than 2GB. However, I'd recommend using 7.6.1 or 8.1 on an 840av, anyway.

The ATTO SE IV is a great card, and I'm guessing the drive is probably 80-pin? An 80-pin to 68-pin adapter, as you probably know, will be required. I do like the idea of the big drive, but I'm always one to recommend a RAID in an 840av. You can get two 35GB 80-pin SCSI drives instead of the one 73GB!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2002 :  09:42:27
quote:

However, I'd recommend using 7.6.1 or 8.1 on an 840av, anyway.

IMHO, running anything less than 8.1 is a sin, punishable by death by over-beating with a Stick of Justice

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2002 :  11:23:58
quote:
IMHO, running anything less than 8.1 is a sin, punishable by death by over-beating with a Stick of Justice

True! There's really no reason to run anything less than 8.1 on an 840av, since it can handle a large amount of RAM. 7.6.1 is very similar to 8.0/8.1, other than the fact that it lack the ability to use desktop pics. I'd really only use it if you had less than 32MB of RAM.

zsarillian
Starting Member

23 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  13:40:03
Thanks for the suggestions and info! I may try the RAID idea, as the 73 giggers are beginning to get a little steep (especially since most of the ones on eBay are cheetahs).

As for the OS, I was thinking 7.6.1. I never was able to stand platinum!

Long live High Contrast!

"I never go into the Office on Sundays... baaaaad Juju"

68k's liberated: 3
Looking for an 840A/V Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  14:59:14
quote:
As for the OS, I was thinking 7.6.1. I never was able to stand platinum!

There's always Kaleidoscope...

zsarillian
Starting Member

23 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  16:16:52
True, true - I may consider that, but there is just that clingy love of system 7.x

Just wondering, since I'll have to make a software raid, what software would you recommend? I think I still have an ancient copy of Apple RAID from an old WGS install CD hanging around, but I'm not sure whether that's PPC only or not... Any thoughts?

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  17:00:22
I have to say it's an absolute must theat you use OS 8.1 and format the drive as HFS+ (Mac OS Extended format) due to the size. I have found that on drive as small as 4GB the HFS (Mac OS Standard) format falls flat on it's face. This is due to the way it handles formatting the drive. It's all kinda comlicated and I don't understand it entirely myself but, basically, the HFS format uses a block size of a certian small percentage of the hard disk. This means that the bigger the hard disk the bigger the block size. This in turn means on very large disks (by old OS standards) the block are too big to be used economically and, as you can only use whole sectors, files take up way more room than is necessary. HFS+ however uses a set sized block. This means that it just uses more blocks for larger disks instead of dividing it into the same number but making them larger. This leads to a vastly improved economy of usage of the disk. On a 73GB hard disk, as you can probably appreciate, this is quite important.

--
Mark Benson

Visit FlatPackMacs Online
http://fpm.gotdns.com

We have feets

Macs Liberated = 9Go to Top of Page

zsarillian
Starting Member

23 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  18:48:35
That's true... I hadn't really thought about that... I think I was under the mistaken impression that HFS+ could only be used on PPC systems.
I guess I'll just have to liberate yet another 68k for all of that System 7 goodness

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  19:17:11
On a 73 gig hard drive, the allocation bloack size is going to be around (no calculator) (73/1.6)*26 Kb.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  08:40:38
quote:
Just wondering, since I'll have to make a software raid, what software would you recommend?

I used FWB RAID Toolkit on my 840av, and it's pretty good. I've read that SoftRAID 1.x gets better numbers, but can't find a copy of it. I have SoftRAID 2.2, but it's PPC only. So, for convenience, I'd say go with FWB RT.

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2002 :  07:29:19
Um, 8.1 is a must just to see the drive. 8.0 won't see it so obviously anything less won't see it. I know this for fact. My Mac OS 8 bible says so, along with the fact that when on a 68k in OS 8 when connecting to my iMac my external 80gig firewire drive shows only 4 gigs of space. Same with my iMac's 10 gig HD. 8.1 sees everything though. So, 8.1 is critical to using that drive.

-
do you like green eggs and ham?*

*note - due to requests i put a dividing line in it looks like this "-" don't miss it... lol...

Edited by - foetoid on 01 May 2002 07:31:13Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2002 :  09:29:38
Yeah, just stik with 8.1. There's really no reason to use anything older...

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2002 :  09:29:39
Yeah, just stick with 8.1. There's really no reason to use anything older...

Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 01 May 2002 09:31:50Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2002 :  13:01:16
quote:

On a 73 gig hard drive, the allocation bloack size is going to be around (no calculator) (73/1.6)*26 Kb.

Is that with HFS+ ?

quote:

according to apple, y'can -boot- from HFS+ on a PPC, but not on a 68k. If the HFS+ isn't your boot volume - it's as happy-as :D.

Easy, just hack off a 1GB chunk at the beginning to put the OS on. If you are using RAID just put a 1GB Quantum boat anchor in and use that to boot from and stick everything else on the HFS+ volume.

Someone raised a good point with me. HFS+ drives are slower ona a 68k than on a PPC so can possibly hamper video recording. If you ONLY want to use it for video recording you can get away with formatting it as HFS and gain speed as the HFS/HFS+ problem is only restricted to large volumes of small files.

--
Mark Benson

Visit FlatPackMacs Online
http://fpm.gotdns.com

We have feets

Macs Liberated = 9Go to Top of Page

zsarillian
Starting Member

23 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2002 :  15:35:32
Excellent! Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to put an old 'Cuda in for my "boat anchor", but as I will only be using this for video importation, I'll stick with HFS, at least initially, and then I'll dump it onto a big FireWire drive (assuming I get one... just have to wait for the $$) later via my Powerbook, which is probably going to be doing most of the post-dump corrections and compression anyway. Thanks for all the help! I'll keep you posted with what happens... when it happens

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2002 :  09:40:17
8.1 with HFS+ partitioning.

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2002 :  14:08:10
I wonder why Apple locked out the HFS+ for 68k users. Did it need more computing power or something? Or did Apple just want to *enourage* people to buy a PPC?

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2002 :  14:52:29
Well, it's not that Apple blocked HFS+ from 68k users, it's just that they don't have the code neccessary to boot from them, that's all. But, you never know, someday someone might find a hack to get 68k's to boot off HFS+ partitions!

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2002 :  15:39:32
Can I still access an HFS+ disk from OS 8.1 on a 68k though?

http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINE
AIM:scchicago87
Yahoo!IM:scchicagoGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2002 :  15:45:21
Yeah, you just can't boot from it, that's all.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.