All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 Favorite removable drive medium.
Author Topic  
AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  06:31:46
So, what is everyones favorite removable drive medium. Zips? CD-R? Tapes?

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  06:35:44
Zips are nice for transporting photoshop files to and from school (I would use my iPod, but our school doesn't have Macs...)

I only use CD-Rs for backing up stuff on my HD (app installers and the likes) and for making my own mixed (from CDs that I legally own of course

I don't have much experience from tape drives...the closest I've used to a tape drive is my 88mb 5.25 Syquest...which I've only used a couple of times on my Quadra...too loud for my tastes...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  08:23:06
I generally use Zip's the most. Jaz's are great, but tend to fail alot (both the drives and the disks), or at least the 1GB versions did. I've heard the newer 2GB Jaz drives/disks are more reliable, but I haven't been able to afford them yet.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  11:16:41
Paper tape all the way! Yeeehaaaa!
Really, though, wasn't there a paper-tape reader for the Mac way back in the early days? I recall that some issues of the early Mac and Apple II mags had strips of punch-tape along the edges of the pages, so (after feeding a zillion of these things into the reader) you could have a new 2 kilobyte little shareware game (or whatever).
Anyone ever use one of these things?
Thanks,
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  11:25:39
quote:

Paper tape all the way! Yeeehaaaa!

Anyone ever use one of these things?

no, but i used to get to play with BOXES & BOXES full of punch cards when i was a kid!

the first time i ever met a computer i was about eye level to the flashing lights on the front panel of a monster at the engineering firm where my dad worked before IBM recruited and turned him to the dark side!

i gotta ask the old geezer about one of the war stories i musta missed! my lil'bro told me pops was on the team at IBM that developed the first world's first 1 MB memory module. he's been holding out on me!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  11:31:25
There was a paper tape reader for the Mac? Now I must find one. On a related note, my uncle works for a company that still uses paper tape for storage. They have an entire filing room filled with the stuff. And I thought I was behind the technology curve...

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  11:57:22
quote:

my uncle works for a company that still uses paper tape for storage. They have an entire filing room filled with the stuff. And I thought I was behind the technology curve...

state of the art 3d CAD (computer aided design) systems interfacing with numeric control machining equipment (CAM) is still commonly done with paper-punch tape, the old equipment works just fine, thank you very much!

and no matter how antiquated something might seem, there ain't nothin' shabby about any segment of the industry that's still mordorsoft free!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  12:10:28
Right on, Trash!
I've heard a lot of hand-wringing (esp. right before 'Y2K') over the fact that the FAA supposedly still runs on massive, cold-war era UNIVAC (and other brand) main-frame systems. The way I see it, though, if those things are still chugging away, doing exactly what they were designed to do, then who are we to complain? Don't get me wrong- I'm all for new tech. Just don't throw away tools that still work fine. Or, as a wiser (and far more succinct!) person once said: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Anubis- If you happen to turn one up, I'd sure like one too! They seemed to have been the 'CueCat' of their day.
Hey- have any of you also seen the early (pre-1984 Mac release) publicity shots of the first Mac mock-ups with 5.25 inch drives? I've seen a couple of those pix (I think one was in the first issue of MacWorld), and it's pretty strange. Plus, if you really squinted, you could tell that the screen was running something a lot closer to the LISA system then what we know as the MacOS! Classic stuff!
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  13:44:10
My fav is CD-R. Death to the evil click-click drive...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

zsarillian
Starting Member

23 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  15:06:12
I'd have to say CD-RW, just because I haven't gotten my hands on a DVD-RW yet...

I had a Zip thrice, and we never got along well... two died... but that's a story for another time Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  15:57:06
Floptical Drive -- 20 MB/disk. Could do a complete backup of a Mac II 40 MB HD with 2 disks! Also let the Mac II read/write 1.4 MB floppies. But was sooo sloooooowwww.

Syquest 270 MB -- fast, fast, fast

Now I use DVD-RAM on a G4.

P.S. I always liked the machine oil small of paper tape

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  16:19:43
quote:

P.S. I always liked the machine oil smell of paper tape

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!

wellcome aboard! with that sense of humor, you're gonna fit in great around here!

ah yes! the floptical, i always thought that was going to take off! i guess it did, iomega bought the technology and folded it into the ZIP!

jt . .

p.s. love the user-id!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 26 Apr 2002 16:23:02Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  17:22:00
Yes, I thought that the Floptical was pretty cool. I especially liked how the disks were semi-transparent (sort of a deep dried-blood color).

Speaking of optical and removables, what ever happened to optical tape? I seem to remember, like a decade ago, the coming invention in mass storage was some mutant combo of magneto-optical and tape. I guess it never got out of the lab or that helical-scan mag tape just got there first.

P.S. I must admit that "Trash80toG-4" inspired my user name.

------------
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  01:01:04
Oh no, here I go

Floppy disks are the cutest and most kich removable media.

GET THIS GET THIS

CD's are aluminium coated with plastic, They aint gonna rot away for a long long long long long long (you get the idea?) time. At least my son wont be clearing shit loadsa paper cos that should biodegrade. plastic floppies are bad too.

I have only ever had floppy's until I got this pc then this has a 530meg hard drive and a cd rom and a floppy. I now have my quadra with it's 500 meg hard drive, 1.2 meg hard drive and a cd rom (without caddy I am still waiting for it to arrive).

Floppy's were magical for me having owned my first computer ever which was an st. It made my brothers old 800xl appear ancient. This is now sliding off topic, I may put something in the lounge now.

I want organic removable media!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shaktimanGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  01:46:42
quote:

I want organic removable media!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of my original 1980's Amiga floppy disks are organic!

(if the mould growing on the surface of half of them means 'organic')

:)

dana

--
http://www.danamania.com/
hosted on 68k - LC630/40
--Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  03:54:59
quote:
1.2 meg hard drive and a cd rom

WOW...how on earth did you get Mac OS 8 to fit on a hard drive smaller than a floppy?

Or was that just a typo?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  07:59:16
Ah, floppies. As of next month, I will never use thy services again.

CDs and modems, all the way!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  09:21:06
quote:

Ah, floppies. As of next month, I will never use thy services again.

CDs and modems, all the way!

wanna bet!?!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2002 :  11:54:27
1.2 gig lol, I have tons of floppies(720k at that) from the early nineties, I had to chuck a load when I was moving.

shaktimanGo to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 04 May 2002 :  12:44:49
I love Zip disks and I have had 2 drives and neither has died. I don't use them as much now however as I have broadband and don't have to download game demos and add-ons in the university's crappy PC clusters (I don't have any games either which helps). CD-RW is too clunky and doesn't work in old 68k drives and DVD-RAM is not yet widespread enough to be practically useful. I didn't use floppies for years (since I got a bootable Windows 98 CD) until I got my LCIII which I had to make a boot floppy for in Basilisk II. i have stacks of CDs for th Mac and still a few PC ones (even though the only PC I have is in my 7300 and is a bit lame).

quote:

ah yes! the floptical, i always thought that was going to take off! i guess it did, iomega bought the technology and folded it into the ZIP!

Sony used floptical technology to develop the MiniDisc. It's too slow to be a decent computer media (although pro studios now use 4x Minidisc desks and non-realtime mastering software) but I still record from iTunes to MiniDisc so I count it as a removable media . Sony are starting to introduce a modified version as a recording media in DV cameras too I think.

you may otice a developing pattern here. I demand 2 things from my media, open usability (i.e. in as many comuters as possible oor the drive is connectable to them) and extreme durability. Both Zip and MD cover that (I have an MD walkman to plug into other ppls stereos and my ears and a dec to record on )

As far as ultimate (practicality and maximum useablity on many comuters ignored) removable storage goes 160GB FireWire hard disks in 3.5" cases are the ultimate

--
Mark Benson

Visit FlatPackMacs Online
http://fpm.gotdns.com

We have feets

Macs Liberated = 9Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 May 2002 :  14:00:13
quote:

As far as ultimate (practicality and maximum useablity on many comuters ignored) removable storage goes 160GB FireWire hard disks in 3.5" cases are the ultimate

i kinda like cheapo drive cages and IDE drives, but macs aren't very well set up for them! i dumped one into the ROM bay of one of my Q630's at one point but it never really worked out.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.