68k Peripherals
 cd rom
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  12:40:48
Greetings

I have an old Compaq pc. This has a 530 meg hard drive & a cd rom. These are both scsi devices. I tried to plug my cd rom into my Quadra. All the wiers fitted & power wen into it( I could open & shut the drive) but the Quadra did not recognise the drive(no icon).

Can I get this drive to work with my Quadra? would the hard drive work with my Quadra? Could I make trhe cd rom drive external? do external drives daisy-chain?

shaktiman

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  13:12:35
what do you mean, no icon?

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  14:14:20
I mean that on my Quadra's desktop there was no icon for a cd rom, I could find no way of installing another drive. I could find no way of accessing the cd rom drive.

shaktimanGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  14:41:09
He means when he puts a cd drive in it won't mount, try searching google got a utility named Lida which I think is on the hotline server that will allow you too see if your mac even see the drive is there and allows you to mount or unmount.

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:17
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  16:14:36
quote:

I have an old Compaq pc. This has a 530 meg hard drive & a cd rom. These are both scsi devices.

Who was the OEM of the drive? there might be drivers available. I got HDT's CD-ROM Toolkit to work on the Sony drive i put in my IIfx, but i haven't gotten it to let me reinstall system software yet.

it's not a high priority, i just want to back up the drive before trying again, it can wait. let us know how Lida works for you.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  17:36:39
Ti is referring to "Lido". It can format any PC hard disk. it is on the Hotline server (uploaded by yours truly!)

As far as your CD ROM goes, might want to try FWB CD ROM ToolKit...which is also on the Hotline server...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  17:43:13
FWB! that's what i meant!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  19:03:23
quote:

that's what i meant!

That's what they all say at first...

--------------------

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  23:21:51
You can also try SCSI Probe to see if your Mac recognises the coinnection at all...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2002 :  05:45:50
quote:

You can also try SCSI Probe to see if your Mac recognises the coinnection at all...

You might want to see if SCSI Probe can recognize the connection as well ...

--------------------

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2002 :  14:44:47
What & where is the hotline server?, what & where isthe other thing oh yes "scsi probe".

Sorry to be so thick

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2002 :  15:30:31
quote:

What & where is the hotline server?, what & where isthe other thing oh yes "scsi probe".

Sorry to be so thick

don't be sorry, just google a little bit, here's a link to a download site for 3.5 which is my preferred 68k rev.

http://www.grin.net/macsoft.htm

just to make doubly sure, you had a CD in the drive that wasn't being mounted, correct? just like a floppy drive, a CD-ROM drive itself will show up only when there is media in the drive that has been mounted and the icon for that (those) volume(s) is (are) then displayed by the finder along with any other volumes, whether they are on fixed or removable media.

Ti assumed you had a ROM in the drive that was not being mounted, but i didn't see any indication that this was true from you. your first post was somewhat equivocal on the matter, so clarification would be nice! it's important to establish ALL the basics when troubleshooting, no matter how pedantic or boring it might seem!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  07:05:04
I had my cd drive(working in my pc at this moment) which has a drive sled (motorised in & out) and a cd in the drive(macworld95(internet tools)) to be precise. how would I have a rom in the drive? I dont know this terminology. From what I have found out so far on my intrepid adventure I concede that I need to learn applemac68k jargon.

I now have my modem, 56 k from analogic. They asked ups to deliver it the next day, a week later I have it in my hands, Analogic were friendly & helpfull & efficient but this ups thing has made me warey(I dont know how to spell warey). So now I need os 8.1 but this is proving a bugger for me to get hold of. I shall now pop along to the link provided by trash but if it takes me to that daft site with a pic of a car which says it has lots of software but then just links to other things
I shall be very upset indeed!!!!!

:-) Thanks for your help.

Scott

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  07:56:42
quote:

I had my cd drive(working in my pc at this moment) which has a drive sled (motorised in & out) and a cd in the drive(macworld95(internet tools)) to be precise. how would I have a rom in the drive? I dont know this terminology. From what I have found out so far on my intrepid adventure I concede that I need to learn applemac68k jargon.

you answered my question, you did have a "CD-ROM" aka: "CD" or "ROM" (one of those shiny disks that come inside magazines ) in your "CD-ROM Drive" aka: all three of the above! that's enough, somewhat less than adequately specific jargon,<rolleyes> to confuse just about anybody, so don't worry about it.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  09:14:12
quote:

coinnection

No entry found for coinnection.

1 suggestion found:

connection

For better results, try our search tips.

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  09:15:29
I still don't understand, I never needed to mount the 2x CD-ROM in my Centris! Do you mean, when you insert a CD, no CD icon shows up?

Sorry for being slow today!

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  09:57:40
quote:

I still don't understand, I never needed to mount the 2x CD-ROM in my Centris! Do you mean, when you insert a CD, no CD icon shows up?

Sorry for being slow today!

Clarification:

DRIVES (CD-ROM/R/RW or any other kind of drive) DO NOT MOUNT!

Neither does any media of any kind! (floppy, HD Platters, ZIPs etc.)

Volume(s), which are correctly encoded information....

usually one (several are possible) partition on correctly...

low level formatted media, are...

Mounted (addressed) when correctly configured...

Hardware (anything physically connected)...

Firmware, (mobo ROM ICs containing the machine level software that teaches the computer how use its stock i/o hardware like the floppy drive, and to deal with the world as if it were a newborn baby every time it is booted or restarted)...

Operating System, (the rest of the software a CPU needs to be able to do anything useful which it looks for and reads after the ROM routines teach it how to read the media , where to look for it and finally, to freakin'read it!)...

Drivers, (system level software routines that teach the CPU and OS how to communicate with hardware added to the stock configuration) and sometimes...

Applications (software programs in general, but often specifically hardware oriented, as in the case of scanner software or a backup utility that makes heavy use of specific kinds of hardware)...

are all working together without a hitch, and then an icon appears on the desktop! it is imprecise to ever say that a disk is mounted, though that is how almost everyone commonly uses the term.

The whole thing sounds impossible, it's actually merely improbable!

Did that help, or did it make this crap more confusing than ever?
jt . .

<8-}

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 23 Apr 2002 10:01:56Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.