Lounge
 Interesting wireing...
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  16:14:00
this is in the lounge because it involves an iMac...

If you open an iMac (Blueberry) I have found 2 interesting things:

1) the motherboard can still do IRDA connections, it just needs an IRDA port soldered onto it.

2) the video output from the motherboard is a standard DB15 Mac video connection, connected to a sheilded cable that runs to the monitors cicuitry.

My idea is this:

I'm going to add 2 extra ports to the side of the iMac.

each will be a female DB15... one will go to the monitor circuit, and the other will come from the mobo.

the upshot of this is that I can then connect both to a video switch box, with the monitor being shared between all computers hooked up to it!

this allows the iMac to function as a server (running Linux or OS X), as well as the second monitor to my G4!

this is looking REALLY fun. I thougt you might all enjoy the ocncept and have feedback.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  18:01:37
quote:

this is in the lounge because it involves an iMac...

If you open an iMac (Blueberry) I have found 2 interesting things:

1) the motherboard can still do IRDA connections, it just needs an IRDA port soldered onto it.

2) the video output from the motherboard is a standard DB15 Mac video connection, connected to a sheilded cable that runs to the monitors cicuitry.

My idea is this:

I'm going to add 2 extra ports to the side of the iMac.

each will be a female DB15... one will go to the monitor circuit, and the other will come from the mobo.

the upshot of this is that I can then connect both to a video switch box, with the monitor being shared between all computers hooked up to it!

this allows the iMac to function as a server (running Linux or OS X), as well as the second monitor to my G4!

this is looking REALLY fun. I thougt you might all enjoy the ocncept and have feedback.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

Great idea! And did you know that if you got the pinouts for the IrDA port and made an adapter, that you could use standard Mac serial devices on your iMac without needing an adapter? I know this because that's where the Griffin iPort gets its serial port from. It piggybacks on the IrDA connector on the port replicator board thingy. (note to self: Pop iMac open some time and check this idea out for yourself)

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.