Balloon Help
 Disabling Onboard Video?
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  15:40:28
i'm looking for leads on how to disable the onboard video circuitry (Pseudo Slot NuBus implementations) in general as a means of shedding light on one particular hack that i'm interested in doing.

this is the posting i just made on fritter, i think my comrades here are probably just as good, if not an even better resource!

quote:

has anyone heard of a hack to disable the "Slot E" Pseudo Slot Video on the DuoDock? i'm looking for a way to enable the "Slot 0" (PowerBook Built-In Video) LCD display on a Duo in a lidless dock.

The "most likely suspect" signals on the 152-pin main expansion connector from the apple developer note pinouts are:
#114      /SLOT IN      Expansion device plugged in grounds pin
#138      /SLOT E IRQ      Pseudo-NuBus expansion slot E interrupt

quote:

my 2300c's info from Dynamic Desktop (Radius Control Panel)

Slot 0: PowerBook Built-In Video
Version: Macintosh CPU Family 5.2

Slot C: EtherNet card
Version: 1.00

Slot D: Radius PrecisionColor 8
Version: V1.0

Slot E: Duodock II Built-In Internal Vi...
Version: DuoDock II DeclROM, v1.2.1.

i wonder if intercepting/modifying the enable/interrupt signals for Slot E expansion might do it, or if i'll have to hack the DeclROM? it's labeled "Configuration ROM on the original DuoDock board, btw. (probably)

also, does anybody know if the 15 undefined contacts on the Duo PDS are just nc or might be undocumented signals? it's strange that there is no mention 15 lines in the pinout docs!

any ideas for further research would be appreciated!

tia
jt

tia, ta youse' guys (n-dolls) too!

jt . .

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  18:14:51
This is probably completely irrelavent to the question at hand, but, when you use a nubus video board as your main video thingy, isn't the on-board video disabled....?

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  18:42:09
quote:

This is probably completely irrelavent to the question at hand, but, when you use a nubus video board as your main video thingy, isn't the on-board video disabled....?

nope! the NuBus Pseudo Slot E expansion with the additional VRAM disables the Slot 0 LCD interface (also a aPseudo Slot) but i've got it driving the portrait (it can do 2pages at 8 bit max) while the Radius Card in the physical NuBus Slot D is driving the PrecisionView 2150 next to it.

after i test the ethernet on my IIg boards, i think i'll put my transceiver on the Dock's AAUI port and stick one of my 24 bit 2 page cards in the Dock II's NuBus Slot C to drive the 21" thru the VGA feed so i can switch back and forth and check out the differences by pushing the BNC/D-Sub button! if my desk were big enough i could put the old IntelliColor 20 on the other side of the 21 and drive all three from the Duo2300c/Dock II! if i'm banging on a spreadsheet i could do work in a window on the portrait and flip back and forthe between two sets of data spread across 2 pages each!

this 21" CRT is drop dead gorgeous! the 20" was getting a little too fuzzy, but it's not much younger than my kid!

jt ?. .

p.s. a screenshot of a two monitor system shows BOTH screens! we're taliin' BIG@$$ pict files! can't wait to try it with five pages of pixels! i

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Apr 2002 18:48:39Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  06:11:40
well, there's good news and bad news, here's the latest from my dialog concerning reports of Duos with their onboard video/LCD enabled in a lidless DuoDock II configuration on fritter :

btw: anybody with a Duo2300c should check out this thread about having IDE AND SCSI interfaces available simultaneously! i suggested an onboard SCSI-10baseT installation as a possible ALPHA-geek level hack, check it out!

http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=hacks&action=display&num=1019078601

quote:

found some interesting information about your fried ROM!
source: http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-68K_Portable/PowerBook_Duo_System.pdf

quote:

Declaration ROM Specifications A
This appendix describes the firmware that must be included on the logic boards of PowerBook Duo expansion devices, such as the Macintosh Duo MiniDock, and the Macintosh Duo Dock. This firmware is normally in a ROM area called the declaration ROM.

Overview A
Currently, Apple provides three expansion devices (frequently referred to in this text as devices) for the PowerBook Duo computer. They are
¥ the Duo Dock, described in Part 3 of this developer note.
¥ the MiniDock, described in Part 2 of this developer note.
¥ the Floppy Adapter, described in Part 2 of this developer note.

The PowerBook Duo computer is described in Part 1 of this developer note.
The declaration ROM, located on the expansion device logic board, provides the capability to distinguish between these different types of expansion devices. It can also provide new device drivers or routines to be used by the system ROM. In this manner, the system ROM does not need to be aware of each and every type of configuration: if a special service is provided by a device, the code to perform that special service resides in the device.

In the case of a device that does not influence the functionality of the system, a declaration ROM is not required. An example of this is a device with infrared ADB: since the ADB is simply passed through to the rest of the system, no special information is required by the system. In this case, the declaration ROM is unnecessary. Another example is the Floppy Adapter, since the floppy drive is detected by the system ROM through the presence of the sense signal. To provide flexibility in supporting many device configurations, Apple uses the Slot Manager model used by NuBus cards as the software interface. The structure of the declaration ROM for the PowerBook expansion devices is based upon the structure of the declaration (or configuration) ROM for NuBus cards. Chapter 8 of Designing Cards and Drivers for the Macintosh Family, Third Edition, is crucial for understanding generic declaration ROM issues and ideas. PowerBook specific issues are covered in this developer note.

looks like the video resources of the DuoDock can probably be disabled and the Duo's internal video enabled with standard slot manager routines! š

source: http://www.manolium.com/dev/techsupport/insidemac/Devices/Devices-56.html#MARKER-9-140

quote:

Enabling and Disabling sResources
Under certain circumstances, you might want to disable an sResource while it remains listed in the slot resource table. For example, a NuBus card might provide several modes of operation, only one of which can be active at a given time. Your application might want to disable the sResources associated with all but the active mode, but still list all available modes in a menu. When the user selects a new mode, your application can then disable the currently actives Resource and enable the one the user selected.

now i just have to figure out how to do that kind of system level software crap and i've barely got a clue about hardware hacking! :rolleyes:

gaaaaak! . . . . i HATE software!

jt

=8-}

any ideas, gang?

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  15:09:53
more good news/bad news: (not so bad actually)

that fritter thread has yielded some very cool info!

quote:

quote:

The chip in my dock is different, but I think it's the PDIP version, since it's identical in pin layout...since they have the same connection, only differently layed out, maybe there would be a way to convert it...

you bet there is! against my better judgement i pulled the Dock II out of my desk and promptly broke the little ZIF(?) socket and most of one leg off my ROM, but it was worth the sacrifice! (i have a spare!)

i have tested it with the configuration ROM removed, we have Duo 2300c onboard video and as i suspected, NuBus support!<bugeyes> The Radius card in the lower slot works just fine driving my portrait display and i tried to get the NIC in the upper slot to give me ethernet, but i would have had to rebuild the desktop and nurse the config back to health! (i think i need a new PRAM battery or the keyboard which thinks it's in capslock all the time has to be replaced) i gave it a half hearted try and tried to put the ROM backand promptly trashed IC and socket, but i'll just hack in a socket for the ROM from the MiniDock in parallel with or onto a DIP socket i'll hack onto the broken ROM socket with wire wrap wire!

i'm thrilled, i'll probably be able to successfully do my NuBusMiniDock hack and if i can't pull that off i should be able to install a cutout for the power to the Dock II ROM and use that board with my PAS 16 for full stereo I/O and a SCSI card to interface with my PowerCD a/o a CD-RW burner to do the DuoBoomBoxDock hack! this crap might just work out!

muahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!

jt

=8-}

p.s. don't mess around with that freakin' ROM/Socket!!!!<rolleyes> now that it's broken, i may as well throw another video card in the sucker and test the second slot!

woohooooooo!

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 Apr 2002 15:11:14Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  16:41:40
what about THIS idea:

If you look at the back of the docking connector inside the dock, you can access ALL the pins. why not ground out the viideo system, but use a switch so you can selectively ground it, and thus make the dock work normally?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  21:06:34
quote:

what about THIS idea:

If you look at the back of the docking connector inside the dock, you can access ALL the pins. why not ground out the viideo system, but use a switch so you can selectively ground it, and thus make the dock work normally?

no can do, the connector is an 030 PDS and the whole dock is basically one huge pseudo-slot implementation of a multifunction NuBus card in the slot E address space and a separate buffered slot NuBus implementation of in the C and D address spaces.

the only ways to disable just the video would be a firmware hack of a new ROM without the driver/config routines that retains the other functions for the dock (substituting a MiniDock ROM might be a silver bullet!) or a software approach using slot manager routines to disable the dock's jet video after initialization and enable the onboard video in slot space 0 which is disabled during startup by the Dock's ROM routines.

there's no way to ground out the just the video circuits as they are interconnected in the ASIC's with the other slot E functions of the dock. installing a power switch for the config ROM will allow the dock to boot with the two NuBus slots functioning along with the onboard video or to boot with ROM power on as a standard dock and no LCD support.

there's another long post over there that i guess i also should have copied here. it's looking REALLY encouraging. if the IIsi won't work with the chipset already on it when grafted to the MiniDock's PDS, substituting the Dock I's identical IC's with the proper circuitry should work! i have a feeling the si card will work fine, hopefully adding the second slot will be possible also. worst case should be fabbing an entirely new board based on the si and Dock I layout info, we'll see!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  09:42:37
BLEH!!!!!

sorry about that . . .

. . . .you have no idea how frustrating it is when one out of the six hits google can come up with leads RTF back to where you were pleading for help with finding information!!!!!!!!!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s. info on the pinouts for IIsi, the LC series and the 6XX series PDS slots would be much appreciated!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 12 Jun 2002 09:45:47Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2002 :  11:18:25
EUREKA!!!!!

sorry about that . . . Both posts! . . .

finally found'em!

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/hardware2.html

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

*sighs*

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 12 Jun 2002 11:19:43Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.