Lounge
 Who uses Mac OS X??
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  14:55:45
I'm just curious as to who uses OS X on their Macs, in addition to having 68k ones lieing around.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  15:42:21
I use OS X on my iMac 500 CD/RW Indigo. I love it! It runs all the Linux apps and never crashes.

Macs Liberated:
SE, IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100, PB 5300, PowerMac 5400

PCs liberated from Windows: 3Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  15:47:26
quote:

I'm just curious as to who uses OS X on their Macs, in addition to having 68k ones lieing around.

i USE 9.1, but i've had 10.1/9.2 since the day it was released. (mere happenstance, i assure you!) i need to do a clean install on a new drive again like the first time i tried it. i purchased it to experiment and to run OmniWeb, and it almost works, but internet exploder and america offline's dreck have both been run on it so it's amazing the freakin' disk boots at all! it's not a high priority! when i do it, i'll probably move my production setup to 9.2 at the same time.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  15:50:30
I love OS X, I loved it on ym iBook 300 with 160 Ram and on my iMac 400 with 128RAM I just need a G3 to run it on now! Its crashed only one way, TuxRacer

Jeremy

"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Hacks General
Macs Liberated:17
ENTER THROUGH THE GATESGo to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  16:14:17
Not impressed.

Installed it yesterday (on G4 400/896MB) and crashed it within 3 minutes. How? Opening IE; so I can sort of not blame apple.

I can't complain too loudly, as I got it on eBay for 8 bucks. Heh!

Cheers!
CC

Current score:

1 eMate 300
1 Apple //e
2 LC IIs
1 LC III
1 LC 475
1 Quadra 605
1 Quadra 700
1 Quadra 800
1 PB 520c
2 Powermac 6100s
1 PowerComputing Powerbase 240
1 Wallstreet

PS. Is the length of my sig bothering anybody? I suppose I don't REALLY have to itemise my orchard every time I make a posting

Edited by - bigsadhu on 17 Apr 2002 16:17:35Go to Top of Page

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  16:35:39
Yuck! OS X runs like a dog on my Pizmo with 576MB of ram. Apple should really tone down aqua a notch.

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  17:18:57
quote:

Yuck! OS X runs like a dog on my Pizmo with 576MB of ram. Apple should really tone down aqua a notch.
- Graphite Goodness

I have a Pismo/400 with 192 MB RAM (she's getting an upgrade this summer), and it's a little slow, but not too bad... most of that is just because of paging in/out for lack of physical RAM.
What specific problems do you have with it?

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  18:12:01
I'm getting it tomorrow: on a shiny new iMac G4 CD-RW -- the first one in the state!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  18:22:42
I've been running it on my 400 MHz iMac DV Special Editon 384mb/13gb since it was released...of course I'm always booted into it...*curses the people who decided not to make RAVE drivers for Unreal Tournament X*

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  18:22:56
I have 10.1 on my beige g3/300 with 448 megs of RAM. It runs ok, but since the ATI graphics acceleration on the beige G3 is not supported by OSX, the graphics are quite chunky. It seems to be pretty stable, but I have had to re-install it a few times, because I somehow screwed it up. I don't use it that much anyway, all my software is old. Classic does not run good on a 300mhz G3!

Macdaddy's younger sibling...
68k Macs liberated : LCIII+
LCII
Performa 410
IIci
Quadra 700
Quadra 800
Performa 550

Other macs:
Beige G3/300 tower

Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  19:03:04
I've had it running on my TiBook G4 since I first bought it a few months ago.
At first, I had some severe problems- freezes, crashs (though no kernel panics), the whole works.
What solved the problem was completely formatting the drive and installing OS X and OS 9.2.1 from scratch, and then restoring all the 'built-in' apps, like iMovie, etc. After doing this, I've had just about no trouble! And, even better, I've found OS X to be a whole lot snappier then 9 ever was. There are so many little things I just love- like waking up from sleep instantly, changing system level settings without having to restart, and all kinds of stuff like that. Sure, there are things that I don't like all that much (lack of spring-loaded folders, stupid colum view, other little nit-picks), but I'm sure many of these will be ironed out as the system matures. For an OS that's only at version 1.3, it's really amazing. Most of the time, it's completely bullet-proof. I can open 1,000 text files at once, play MP3's, surf the web, load classic, and play solitare, with hardly noticable slowdown, and never any 'out of memory' errors! Try that on OS 9! One thing that I'm sure has a major effect on basic speed is having the G4 chip running things. My sister has upgraded to OS X on her 700 mHz iMac, but, while still being peppier then OS 9, it's noticably slower then my 500 mHz G4. I guess that AltiVec stuff helps rendering all the Aqua-y eye cand-, err, I mean helps speed up the systems UNIX core! Yeah, that's what I meant...
Later,
SpaceBoy
PS One more reason to go X: TuxRacer!!!

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  19:48:49
Time for Penguin to Brag

Yes I have OS X. Yes it works better and more Reliable. Yes I love It. And yes, it is running on a beast!

Dual 800 G4 (geForce 3 grafix mind you and 512 MB RAM!)
Never been snappier, burning disks out of finder is quite kool, all around a sweet OS. Definately lacking some featues found earlier, but also includng those that are droolworthy. Only thing i DONT like is kernel panics....Ive had two, but then again, that was when i tweaked the apache code, hehe. If only my PB 170 could handle it.....

~The Screaming Fast Aqua-ized Penguin!

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

alpaca2500

USA
102 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  22:45:38
i still run 9.2 most of the time on my iMac, mostly becuase my usb tv tuner does not work with os x. i run x when i want to use office x, when i want to watch dvds, when i want to mess around with unixy stuff, that's about it.

Performa 630
Quadra 610
LCIII
SEGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2002 :  05:59:43
me me me. and I adore it.

(y'all know I adore all the 68k os's just as much however :D

from a fresh install it's so stable, task switching is a dream, multitasking is nicer... and sitting at home on a 540c, telnetting into the linux webserver then ssh'ing into the osx boxie... makes me feel like I'm doing something useful, when I'm doing nothing but using up bandwidth... but you get the idea :D.

On my imac 400 G3/768mb, it's speed is fine. about 80% that of OS9 admittedly, but for all the bonuses, I could never go back to a pre-x boxie as a main machine.

dana

--
http://www.danamania.com/
hosted on 68k - LC630/40
--Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2002 :  06:52:50
I used to have X on my iMac DV 400... (This was back with 10.0.4) It didn't run horrible, but my biggest problem was that at that time (I don't know if it still does or not) Classic sucked and quite a few of the apps I like to play with aren't carbon.... So eventually I just got rid of X due to so much space being taken up on my 10gig HD (my only HD at the time, now have 80gig external as well...) and the fact that I was doing video editing at the time. I'm planning on putting X back on... I'm just waiting for the right time... (AKA friend with X coming over)

do you like green eggs and ham?Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2002 :  07:15:27
quote:

I used to have X on my iMac DV 400... (This was back with 10.0.4) It didn't run horrible, but my biggest problem was that at that time (I don't know if it still does or not) Classic sucked and quite a few of the apps I like to play with aren't carbon....

mine's a 10gb HD too - and I'm pretty happy with classic now, and the only apps I regularly use hard are photoshop 5.5 and illustrator 8 - they run quicker in classic than their OSX counterparts anyhows!. There's also the hoarding-instinct I have with 68k stuff, that I just HAVE to run.

MacPaint under OSX is funny!

dana

--
http://www.danamania.com/
hosted on 68k - LC630/40
--Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2002 :  08:19:23
I don't own any Mac that's capable of running X, and only one (working) PPC at that, so I'm limited to 8.1 and 9.1.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2002 :  18:47:53
I love OS X!!!! I run it on my 500 ibook, with 320 megs of RAM. The performance is not too bad, and the system never crashes (though some apps seem to crash with an vengeance).

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  22:28:12
I got my iMac!!! Yay!!!

Ah, X is pretty good, and Classic better than I thought it would be. An interesting fact about the new iMac... COMING TOMORROW!

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2002 :  03:56:06
I have OS X but don't use it. I have tried to keep either 9.1 or 8.1 going on my collection of Macs to keep things simple. The oldest OS I use is 7.1 on the SE stuff. If I had a G4 I would run OS X with a bunch of ram installed. Right now I don't have or need OX X specific applications. That may change in time if we see more developers of "X".

I also maintain various versions of Dos/Windows 3.1/95/98/XP. I have given up on CP/M-86 though...lol!

Most of my problems are trying to find drivers for the really old stuff. I usually play with something till I tire of it...and sell it off to a friend who bugs me to death...thereafter...lol!

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2002 :  05:33:32
quote:

The oldest OS I use is 7.1 on the SE stuff.

Then I take it you upgraded from the original 1 MB of RAM? Why not use System 6.0.8? Your SE will run that like nobodys business...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2002 :  22:21:48
I know FW...the hard drive died in it and I did not have a copy of OS 6 laying around. This SE has 4 meg in it. I keep the SE around because it makes me happy. When I am feeling down I just boot up the ole thing and all is right with the world. It is just something about that form factor that gets to me...I can't really explain it.

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  14:52:05
I started this, so I'll weigh in.

I run OS X on my 400MHz YIKES! G4, Rage 128 w/ Hardware DVD, 10GB HD, 256MB RAM.

Extra specs include:
Keyspan SX Pro Serial card
Orange Micro Grappler 930U SCSI
PCI Slot Dual Exhaust Fan (Drops CPU Temp by 2-4 degrees when running many apps and SETI@home)
extra 1.5 GB IDE HD
External SCSI Zip 250

I have to say, it works GREAT, except that I've done enough UNIX hacking with it that it's acting a little funny, and I'm running out of room on the HD. I'm planning on putting a large (10 GB or so) SCSI drive into it.

Alas, all the PCI Slots are filled, and with my iMac modification project, I'll need to remove the exhaust fan to add in the second video card. I'm considering putting a fan into the Zip drive bay in the front, and using a dremel tool to cut the graphite bezel.

I love OS X, and the ONLY reason I'm booting into OS 9 now is to connect to my Newton, and that's only until I'm done houe sitting and I have my network at home, and other computers to do that, or until I can get the NewTen connection software for OS X to work.

~marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  18:14:10
Anyway, has anyone had any success in integrating OS X into existing networks? Do you think I should change my networking software on my other machines, given that OS X isn't all that nice playing with AppleTalk?

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  18:25:20
quote:

Anyway, has anyone had any success in integrating OS X into existing networks? Do you think I should change my networking software on my other machines, given that OS X isn't all that nice playing with AppleTalk?

i read that they fixed that after all the hue and cry. check out that ArsTechnica thread i linked to in another OS X thread. there was a lot of good info there.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2002 :  19:56:03
I had a network long before OS X came along, and it seems to integrate into an old network like mine without a hitch. All of my pre-OS X macs can connect to the OS X-ified G3 via AppleTalk. All you have to do is activate AppleTalk in the "Network" control panel, save the changes, and connect to it from the chooser of another mac using your OS X login. It's that simple!

Macdaddy's younger sibling...
68k Macs liberated : LCIII+
LCII
Performa 410
IIci
Quadra 700
Quadra 800
Performa 550

Other macs:
Beige G3/300 tower

Go to Top of Page

zsarillian
Starting Member

23 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  01:01:07
I've got OSX and I love it! but I save all my "serious" work for my Quadra

"I never go into the Office on Sundays... baaaaad Juju"

68k's liberated: 3
Looking for an 840A/V
Who said good movies can't be made at low prices?Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  18:29:50
AppleTalk only seems to work one-way for me...

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2002 :  13:12:59
I would use OS X, however it...
A:dosen't come on floppies
B:my HD is too small
C:It won't run on my Mac LC

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.