PowerBook
 FrankenDuo, Come Alive!
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  08:34:37
After a long and arduous journey from LaptopLessNess, I have arrived!

Yesterday I received the Duo 280c I recently bought off eBay. I plugged it in using the power supply I already had, and it booted up! The screen (from a Duo 270c) is cracked prety bad, so you can just barely make out the upper left hand corner of the desktop, and the battery bay is screwed. However, once I transplant its working mobo into my current Duo 280c (along with the modem), I'll have a kick-arse, 32/500/19.2k Duo 280c with Micro SCSI, Floppy and Ethernet docks, an external floppy drive and use of any of my external SCSI drives!

If I'm slick, I'll be able to use the Duo here at work, instead of Basilisk II!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  09:16:16
coolness!

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops

Graphic Propaganda Manager Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  19:49:14
I hope you have better luck with your Duo than I had with mine. I'm still waiting for thecube's Duo 280c to strip for parts...
BTW, how did you get a 19.2k modem?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2002 :  11:36:57
SUCCESS!!

The Duo transplant went without a hitch. The working color LCD is now fused onto the working Mobo/bottom case. The 28MB RAM chip, 500MB hard drive and new PRAM battery went in, too. Also, the trackball on the working Duo bottom case was fried, so I transplanted the trackball from the other Duo as well. The only thing I haven't transplanted was the battery terminals. The terminals on teh working mobo are broken, so it can't use batteries. I removed the terminals from the dead mobo fairly easily, but just have to find time to solder them to the working one and it'll be perfect!

BTW - The modem is 14.4k, I thought I'd gotten lucky and been blessed with a 19.2k froma Duo 2300c, but no such fortune. Doesn't matter, I'll probably only ever use the modem for sending faxes, anyway.

The only problem I have right now is trying to wipe the 500MB hard drive clean and install OS 8.1 on it along with neccessary apps. I can't seem to put to gether a working external drive to boot from, so for now it's running 7.6.1 with nothing but a few games on it. Sooner or later I'll have it up to snuff, though!

Once completed, here's what my Duo will look like:

32MB RAM
500MB Hard Drive
External Floppy drive w/ Floppy MicroDock
SCSI MicroDock
Ethernet MicroDock
14.4k Modem
Two Type 3 Batteries

P.S. - I now have a grab bag full of extra Duo parts, so if you're interested, go see the trading post!!!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

Edited by - cinemafia on 17 Apr 2002 11:37:31Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.