Tape driver roller?
Author Topic  
Strayhorn
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  06:54:45
Fellow Macheads:

Found an old Apple 40SC tape backup drive (complete with original Apple 40MB tape cart!) at the surplus store so it came home with me. However, after taking it apart I found that the main drive roller has gone soft and gooey - somone used the wrong cleaning fluid, apparently.

I'm pretty clueless about tape drives - are these rollers available as a replacement part, or do I need to find a used drive unit somewhere and just replace the drive unit as a whole?

Any tips, advice, etc, gratefully received.

Ken Strayhorn
computer guy
Duke University

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  15:05:06

My first try would be to take it to your local Home Brew Electronics Store (where all the HAM radio operators and antique TV and radio repair guys hang out) and show it to them. Odds of them having a part to do it are pretty good.

After that, find a repair shop that works on old tape decks and turntables. they won't fix it, but might have a source for parts they will share with you.

If not there, then go to Radio Shack and look in the Commerical Catalogue, find an intelligent worker who will do something more than sell you a cell phone, and you can probably get a peice to repair it.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  17:12:28
quote:

I'm pretty clueless about tape drives - are these rollers available as a replacement part, or do I need to find a used drive unit somewhere and just replace the drive unit as a whole?

google the crap out of it first! after a few trials and near misses you'll figure out some of the right questions to ask and how to narrow your search. the first thing i'd do would be to email every decent mac repair shop (like tekserve) and maybe the places that do refurb work.

one other angle would be to figure out who the OEM was, apple doesn't really make all that much peripheral equipment (at least the mechanical stuff), i'll bet it's a major supplier and the part is readily available outside of the apple network, like Canon SX engine parts for the Laserwriter II, they'r the same engine as the laserjets and just about every other laser from that era!

and when you find good sites with info, post 'em in the Links Project like i did with the printer repair info i found!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Strayhorn
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2002 :  06:29:55
Thanks, guys. I'll give all of this a try. We do have a massive geeks emporium here in town, but they don't carry small stuff like drive rollers.

I'll give tekserv a try and keep y'all posted.

Strayhorn

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.