Quadra / Centris
 WGS95 PDS Card, etc.
Author Topic  
hbent
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts
Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  21:02:52
Thanks again for the help getting this system up and running to begin with, especially Cinemafia.

I now have an AWS w/48MB RAM and 1GB disk running MacOS 8.1. Sorry A/UX fans, but I had to get rid of it. It was the only Unix I've ever used (and I've used quite a lot; I collect older Unix workstations) that was crippled to the point of unusability. Well, okay, Ultrix 4.3 was like that too, but then 4.3a came out pretty quickly :-)

Interesting side note: my father met one of the A/UX developers once at a USENIX conference (www.usenix.org) and he said something to the effect that A/UX was never meant to be anything more than a "proof of concept" OS and the only really serious work they put into it was for AppleShare uses.

Anyhow, I discovered that if you connect your SCSI peripherals to the onboard bus you can still use the AWS PDS card under MacOS - so you're not getting the DMA SCSI acceleration, but you're still getting the L2 cache from the card. My question is: are the L2 SIMMs on the card any sort of standard? How would I go about getting more? My card already has the 256K upgrade, so I don't need to upgrade the tag RAM to go to 512K.

http://www.wtsp.org

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  08:22:39
Like most things Apple, I have a strong feeling that the L2 SIMMs are proprietary, although I'm not absolutely sure. I am fairly sure that the max size of the L2 cache is 512k. Though, 512k is a lot for a 68k machine. The 512k cache in my 7500 is good for a little extra speed on its own!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.