68k Peripherals
 Apple Keyboard on eBay!
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  10:03:12
oh yeah, there's an SE that comes with it too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2016933569

Can somebody tell me what ids so special about these things?
i know a couple of the troops prefer them.

jt . .

p.s. there's on without the SE too!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2015915831

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 14 Apr 2002 11:16:04

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  13:00:44
It's the feel... resistance on the keys

The sound... clikity clikity tap tap tap

small... How often do YOU use the Fkeys, if you're in a Pre OS 8 system?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  13:33:29
I just bought a bunch of Apple stuff at a Goodwill store and one of them was an Apple ADB keyboard type that I have never seen before. It is really small, smaller than the keyboards that came with LCs (Apple Keboard II I think) and the Apple Keyboard 1 and the back just says "Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard". I "think" it is the type of keyboard that comes with the IIGS but I am not sure. Either way I would recommend it to anyone here, as it is really small, and the tactile response is better than any other keyboard I have ever used (I am using it right now.)

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  15:35:37
quote:

It's the feel... resistance on the keys

The sound... clikity clikity tap tap tap

small... How often do YOU use the Fkeys, if you're in a Pre OS 8 system?

if it's got alps mechanical keyswitches i can understand the affinity you have for that board. my late, lamented, mac 101 had alps switches and there's nothing like 'em!

function keys i never really bothered with until OS 9, but the page navigation keys/cursor array are something i hacked into a custom caps lock table layout with resedit. that gave me everything i wanted where i wanted it, in an embedded numeric keypad for my 'books, because i'd never willingly do without them!

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  00:00:22
quote:

oh yeah, there's an SE that comes with it too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2016933569

Can somebody tell me what ids so special about these things?
i know a couple of the troops prefer them.

That is the quintessential unloved 68k Macintosh.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  08:14:05
There was one like that at an office supply store that was going out of business, the first ADB keyboard (which I believe was first sold along with the IIgs?). I tried to buy it from them but they wouldn't sell it, then finally the store was gone...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  09:45:18
quote:

There was one like that at an office supply store that was going out of business, the first ADB keyboard (which I believe was first sold along with the IIgs?). I tried to buy it from them but they wouldn't sell it, then finally the store was gone...

Yeah, that's the IIgs keyboard...very cool and slick...the keys are a pain in the ass to clean, though (if you see any pictures, you'll know what I mean)...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  14:52:35
Ys, they use the ALPS switches. Lary Pina's "Classic Mac and SE Repair" book had a whole secton on ADB repair, focusing on the keyboards in question, old mice, and replaceing the ADB chips on fried boards. The book is out of print, but essential if you want to keep some of these macs running. Also of note are 2 other books by Pina "the Dead Mac Scrolls" (excellent, I own/use it) and a Mac II and LaserWriter repair book, which I want very badly right now.

I've found a USB keyboard that actually feels ALOT like it, but I just bought a MacAlly iKey when my Apple board died, so I can't afford to buy another keyboard yet. I will in the fall I think.

It's made by MicroConnections.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  16:55:26
quote:

Ys, they use the ALPS switches. Lary Pina's "Classic Mac and SE Repair" book had a whole secton on ADB repair, focusing on the keyboards in question, old mice, and replaceing the ADB chips on fried boards. The book is out of print, but essential if you want to keep some of these macs running. Also of note are 2 other books by Pina "the Dead Mac Scrolls" (excellent, I own/use it) and a Mac II and LaserWriter repair book, which I want very badly right now.

since it has Alps switches you can probably fix it the way you described! find another keyboard that uses a similar switch type on the caps lock key use the controller from that! it's probably got the same kind of switch as the keyboard II (stays down/in contact when active) remove the old controller and solder wire wrap jumpers from every switch to the proper matrix location for the kbd II controller. eg a-s-d-f-g-h-j-k-pin 4 on the controller's edgecard connector. there are about 22 contacts, i've got one open for my Sharp hack, but i haven't started mapping it yet. it's pretty straightforward as the foil pad contacts bridge two connections on a one layer printed flexible matrix.

the controller is really small so it should fit, just make sure to make provision for a removable connector in case you blow the new controller. that way it's just a question of soldering jumpers from the 22 (?) switch matrix contacts to the male or female side of whatever connector you choose for you interface. i haven't measured the resistance of the printed traces, but the experiments i've done in the past didn't fry any controllers when i switched matrix traces to solid copper.

you might need to cut traces at all the switch contacts, but it might not be necessary on very many if you map it out, though it might take less time to scratch all the little buggers instead.

fix it! (when you have time!)

jt . .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Apr 2002 17:01:41Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.