Mac Networking Crash Course, and Macs as Routers
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  15:40:54
Ok, I think we can start with some basic terminology and concepts. First:

PHYSICAL ADDRESS: (MAC Address, MAC=Media Access Control) Each Network port has a physical address encoded onto it's chips. You CAN'T change this. You'll see software that claims to let you, but it doesn;t really.. it just changes what the packets going over the port SAY the address is.

LOGICAL ADDRESS: this is your IP address (eg 192.168.10.1) that you set in the TCP/IP control panel. You can set logical addresses for AppleTalk too, but unless you have an AppleTalk Router (ala AppleShare IP) you'll never have to set this manually.

BRIDGE: a bridge connects one type of network to another. Think EtherTalk to LocalTalk bridges, or a Mac running LocalTalk Bridge software from Apple.

REPEATER: makes your network larger by relaying messages coming in one port, out the other. You'll RARELY have to deal with these, unless you have a bunch of really old LocalTalk equipment.. but you will deal with something related called a...

HUB: a bunch of repeaters all wired together. Anything that comes in one prot goes out alol the others. Hubs are stupid, and are completely physical in nature, no firmware or anything like that.

SWITCH: These are smart hubs. They keep a table of physical addresses, and forwards packets only intended for that computer. So Port 1 has Mac A on it, Port 2 has Mac B, and Port 3 Mac C; Mac A sends a message for Mac C, and the packets it sends contain the physical address for Mac C. The Switch reads the packet, and sends the packets out over Port 3, and Port 2 doesn't hear a thing. Use switches whenever possible, instead of hubs.

ROUTER: Routers use the LOGICAL ADDRESS to determine where to send information it receives. It can also be programmed to be smarter still and sort by protocol type. this will be discussed later.

there is an example of some of what I'm referring to in my post in here: topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=175.html

So, Next, we need to discuss the ports you will run into on cards:

ETHERNET: There are 4 kinds of ports you'll run into. They are...

• AUI (ThickNet) which is a DB15 connection, just like Mac video. top speed is 10 Megabits per second (Mbps). Expensive, and rarely used except inside wireing closets to interconnect equipment.

• ThinNet is coaxial cableing, 75 ohms (I think!) Hardly EVER used now, 10Mbps like ThickNet and a pain in the butt to use and maintain in general.

• RJ45 connections are the 8 pin phone-style ones you see most often. These use sheilded or unsheilded Cat 5 cabeling. if you use 4 wires (2 pair) then 10Mbps is your top speed, but useing all 8 (4 pairs) of wires will allow 100Mbps.

• AAUI or APPLE AUI is the little thing that most of the older Macs have that you need an adapter to use with anything else. top speed is 10Mbps.

that's all for now I think. What else Networking wise does anyone need to know?

I'll put in a list of the software I use tonight (ie when I'm at MY computer and can see :-)

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  15:51:11
quote:

Tis a good summary methinks and one that's worth keeping up to add to every time a particular "what is a..." or "how does a ...." question comes up.

My last experience with trying to get AFP: working but couldn't for HOURS before realising I'd firewalled one of the machines accidentally tho... can stay out of it *grin*

dana

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  19:21:31
AFP?

What software is this?

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  19:50:59
quote:

AFP?
What software is this?

It's proper Appleshare over IP - AppleTalk Filing Protocol, fully using tcp/ip, instead of just Appletalk tunneled through ethernet... Thats why I run Trudy (my 950 fileserver :D) with AppleShareIP 5, cos it lets me share on a cheapie machine, using AFP/IP. Only problem is she locks up now when I use IP so she's back to using Appletalk only. This is dud, but I'll fix it one day!

AFP/AppleTalk over 10baseT will get you around 300k/sec maximum, where AFP/IP gets lots closer to the maximum 1mb/sec. Technically they're both AFP... AFP/AppleTalk is the older slower style, and AFP/IP is the newer quicker one

When you connect to another mac in the chooser, and use the "Server IP Address" button, that tries to connect only with AFP/IP.

OSX won't -share- its files with AFP/AppleTalk, only AFP/IP - but it will register the existence of the server to other macs using appletalk. I'd firewalled the osx machine completely when ADSL was connected - just blindly copied the rules from my PPP connection to the ethernet one. oops!.

danaGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  20:33:37
quote:

quote:

Tis a good summary methinks and one that's worth keeping up to add to every time a particular "what is a..." or "how does a ...." question comes up.

agreed, thanks, marchie!

jt

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  05:24:14
quote:

OSX won't -share- its files with AFP/AppleTalk, only AFP/IP ...
- dana

Easily fixed.

Open up the NetInfo Manager, and go to /config/AppleFileServer. Find the attribute "use_appletalk." This is set to 0 by default; change it to 1. Presto!

For the record, I got this from a page on System 6 Heaven.
http://www.euronet.nl/users/mvdk/osx.html
It describes various tricks to get OS X and the Classic Mac OS to play nice together.

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  09:54:16
quote:

quote:

OSX won't -share- its files with AFP/AppleTalk, only AFP/IP ...
- dana

Easily fixed.

Open up the NetInfo Manager, and go to /config/AppleFileServer. Find the attribute "use_appletalk." This is set to 0 by default; change it to 1. Presto!

For the record, I got this from a page on System 6 Heaven.
http://www.euronet.nl/users/mvdk/osx.html
It describes various tricks to get OS X and the Classic Mac OS to play nice together.

excellent! the information echange begins, has that specific link been catalogued on our site yet? if not post it, with your blurb, in the links project thread for the webbies to harvest and add to the list!

thanks again for getting the ball rolling, marchie.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  13:45:04
<bump>

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  19:33:32
Death from above!

Anyways, on a more technical note, on 68K Machiens Shareway IP is a good tool to use in conjunction with AppleShare 4, which gives you the power of AppleShare and IP use. That's what I used on my 840AV.

Also, for running headless servers, Timbuktu 3 is the best. Just set it to use Appletalk, because even if for some reason TCP/IP goes down or you need to disconnect cables (or an accident), AppleTalk will reset itself up whereas 68K Macs may not regrab an IP from Routers or ISP. (So, Appletalk provides a good network solution that is tolerant of failures or disconnection of physical media.)

It's been a lifesaver when TCP/IP fails for some reason or I accidentally pulled the wrong Power Plug..Appletalk automagically pops back up but TCP/IP stays down.

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 08 Nov 2003 :  07:03:40
Great post!

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.