68k Hacks
 Pinouts!!!
Author Topic  
~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2002 :  18:38:38
If you ever want pinouts for the 68000, 020, 030, 68881/882, as well as all of the Mac 128/512/SE/II port pinouts, then I have a source for them...

Ahh, official Motorola/Apple Reference books!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberated

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2002 :  19:35:56
Hmmm...would you happen to have a scanner ...OCR...PDF...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  18:08:43
And i have all the pinouts for all legacy (think Pre-USB/FireWire) external connectors, if anyone wants them!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  19:06:43
quote:

And i have all the pinouts for all legacy (think Pre-USB/FireWire) external connectors, if anyone wants them!

All good stuff for the site :). Along with a reference to the hardware book - exxy site, downloadable too, and with all the info you'd need for connecting other puter stuff to a mac... I used one if its adaptor info pages for making a couple of vga->mac adaptors.

I should get my bum into gear and re-write a few of the pages on Sense Pins too... the current info is a bit haphazardly thrown about online, and is way useful when it comes to making adaptors.

danananananana

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  22:05:08
I too have done a lot of research on Sense codes, and the thing I can't find any onfo on is how it works now that Macs are using standard HD15 connectors - particularly the PowerBooks (they don't sense a monitor unless you boot up with one plugged in) It looks like if you just terminate the RGB and Sync lines with 75 ohms then the PB will be fooled into thinking a monitor is attached - but I can't find info on whether or not there is a new set of sense codes, or whether it affects resolution?

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  22:30:30
quote:

I too have done a lot of research on Sense codes, and the thing I can't find any onfo on is how it works now that Macs are using standard HD15 connectors - particularly the PowerBooks (they don't sense a monitor unless you boot up with one plugged in) It looks like if you just terminate the RGB and Sync lines with 75 ohms then the PB will be fooled into thinking a monitor is attached - but I can't find info on whether or not there is a new set of sense codes, or whether it affects resolution?

I -think- when it comes to sense codes for VGA ports (the high density d-subs) you get the mac using either the apple ones on the respective pins, or the normal VGA ones, which on newer PC type monitors don't just hold a constant signal like mac ones (with wires/diode connections) but send some info back through. Might have to leap into a PC group to find out that info...

Of course, it's prolly hiding somewhere in the apple kbase somewhere. Under a rock or something :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  03:18:26
quote:

68k MLA ParaMedic

How would you terminate the RGB and Sync lines? Would you use a 75-ohm resistor or something?

Just wondering...

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  06:18:05
quote:

How would you terminate the RGB and Sync lines? Would you use a 75-ohm resistor or something?

yup, you just put a resistor between signal and ground.

terminators are a great tool for those that use projectors a lot - especially for boardroom meetings and suchlike. sometimes projectors do not show the corerect termination to the PowerBook and so you can't start video mirroring. so you simply reboot with your custom made dummy plug (terminator), swap the dummy for the cable and there you go. mac on the bigscreen *drool* If you are tag team presenting, after the schmuck up the front has finished his presentation with his PC, you can simply walk up with your PowerBook ready-to-go, unplug his POS and connect a real computer

dana, i had similar thoughts but I couldn't find anything to verify it. i havn't looked for a while though - i'll have to add it to my list if things to do...

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  06:26:48
Heh...i know what the BigScreenMacExperience is like. iTunes visualiser on 51cm Panasonic TV though Apple Presentation System....mmmmmm...

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  09:22:43
quote:

quote:

but I can't find info on whether or not there is a new set of sense codes, or whether it affects resolution?

I -think- when it comes to sense codes for VGA ports (the high density d-subs) you get the mac using either the apple ones on the respective pins, or the normal VGA ones, which on newer PC type monitors don't just hold a constant signal like mac ones (with wires/diode connections) but send some info back through. Might have to leap into a PC group to find out that info...

Of course, it's prolly hiding somewhere in the apple kbase somewhere. Under a rock or something :D

the first place i'd look would be griffin's site. q&a/faq/manual on their mac monitor to vga mac adapter would likely be the most helpful.

when they helped me to get one of their TPD cables to work with my portrait it was just a matter of tying one line to another to pull up or drop the necessary signals already available on the mac's video out connector. no resistors necessayr al all.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  18:56:10
Correct...if you want to make Mac to VGA adaptors - depending on the resolution that you want it is just a wire link between a couple of pins, and for other combinations you need a diode or two.

But, there is no info on the VGA output of the Mac, other than the standard pinout info - nothing about sense lines. (Note: I'm using the term 'VGA' to describe the HD15 connector - not the resolution)

Specifically I am looking for 'how does the Mac know there is a monitor plugged in?' information - not to be confused with smart monitors that put themselves to sleep (or econo/green mode) using information sent by the computer which may be sent down the RGB lines, or the other ID bits.

On a Mac 15 pin connector, the sense lines are pins 4, 7 and 10 referenced to ground; for a HD15 connector the ID bits are pins 10, 11 and 4 (and pin 5 is self test) I'm assuming that these are referenced to ground as well (?)

hmmm the mind boggles

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  19:25:59
quote:

On a Mac 15 pin connector, the sense lines are pins 4, 7 and 10 referenced to ground; for a HD15 connector the ID bits are pins 10, 11 and 4 (and pin 5 is self test) I'm assuming that these are referenced to ground as well (?)

hmmm the mind boggles

maybe this will make the mind boggle a little less:

the signals only exist at the Mac/cable interface,
they have NOTHING to do necessarily with any monitor VGA or MAC, (if Apple cables are generic straight thru signals, the sense coding MIGHT be hard wired on the monitor at the cable interface, i just don't know)
the sense code is read only at startup by the MAC and
in the case of a VGA adapter no monitor need be attached at all!

jt . .

p.s. google around for "Guide to the Macintosh Family Hardware", second edition, by Apple Computer, published by Addison-Wesley. my copy covers every mac up to the IIfx and i once had a link to a site that had a large percentage of it available online! post the links you find in my Links Project. along with any info on later revisions and i'll give you any sense pin info that's not on the site. this book is KILLER! i bought the last dog-eared shopworn copy at B&N a few years back and it's been invaluable! Having links to that info would be a dynamite addition to the 68kMLA's content!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 13 Apr 2002 19:30:10Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  01:11:22
I believe you're missing my point, I know all about sense codes - just not how Apple have changed their spec since they started using HD15 connections.
Macs with HD15's, such as a PBG3, still do some sort of sensing on bootup - and to date my custom terminators have worked where say a projector has not, but I have no documented reason as to why my theories work.
I should also add that although I have responded to this thread several times, i have not actually done more research on the HD15 side of things. It was importamt to me a few years ago when I was working in a convention centre and a fair number of clients were using Macs as part of their show/presentation (I.E. it's important to make sure that pictures are making it from Mac to screen, especially when your audience is 400 doctors for example!), but since I no longer work there it's really not a problem for me any more

cheers
Flash!

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  04:05:33
hmm..while this thread is going, does anyone know the pinouts for the internal cable that goes from the display assembly to the mobo in a PB100? I've googled the frig out of the web for nothing. In a few weeks i'm getting a new power adapter for my PB100, and if i can't get it going, i was thinking i could do a hack to make it into two new cool external peripherals for my working Macs:

an external hard drive, which is relatively simple to do. All i really have to do is connect it to another Macintosh while in SCSI disk mode. Once set up, i can use this as a startup drive, backup drive, anything I want.

An external flat panel black and white display for my LCs. This is slightly more tricky, as i don't have the pinouts for the internal display connector. What i'm looking for is the plug thats attached to the interconnect cable, that connects the screen and speaker to the mobo, and supplies power to the display assembly. Getting power to the thing wouldn't be a problem. I could use a PowerBook power adapter i guess.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!

Edited by - maclover5 on 14 Apr 2002 04:37:35Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  18:30:04
quote:

I believe you're missing my point, I know all about sense codes - just not how Apple have changed their spec since they started using HD15 connections.

yah! been know to happen ocasionally! does this help at all?

http://www.monitorworld.com/faq_pages/q17_page.html

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  06:22:13
heh, I miss the point all-the-time!

great link *bookmarks page, makes mental note to visit later*

I reckon we should call you Ggle

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  13:52:21
quote:
I reckon we should call you Ggle

LOL!

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

thepickle
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2002 :  16:31:28
I've got pinout diagrams for all Mac CPUs and FPUs linked in my .sig...

p

-----
the pickle
http://macfaq.org/index.shtmlGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.