All Forums
 PowerBook
 Removing password protection
Author Topic  
BillEllis1502
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2002 :  17:45:38
I just inherited two Powerbook 180's that have password protection and I have two questions.

Can I remove the password protection and can I update from system 7.1 to system 7.5.3.

I would like to dump the password routine because I don't need it . These Powerbooks came from an office environment, are no longer needed and where dumped on the employees. The employee dumped them on relatives, etc, etc, and I ended up with them.

The password scheme is by Empower Worldwide. I tried to drag the Empower module from the control panel, but it won't like me do that until it releases the volume that it's protecting. I can't figure out of to do that.

The Powerbook is running system 7.1 and I would like to update to system 7.5.3. Can't do that either because of this protection, I guess.

Second question. The batteries for these powerbooks need replacing. I don't know where to begin to look for batteries since I've never had a lap top before.

I want to thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Bill E.

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2002 :  18:46:34
PRAM batteries or the ones that power the portability-ness?

Anyway, try to boot up from a system floppy and then formatting the hard drive. If it won't let you boot from another volume, try ripping out the hard drive, changing the SCSI ID, (can you do this on PB hard drives?) and putting it in another machine. Hopefully it'll boot off your normal hard drive, and allow you to wipe the password protected one clean.

If all else fails: wipe the hard drive over a really big magnet!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  02:39:13
quote:
changing the SCSI ID, (can you do this on PB hard drives?)

No you can't. I once tried to look into it for my PowerBook 145B, but, sadly, its impossible.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

BillEllis1502
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  17:17:25
>>PRAM batteries or the ones that power the portability-ness? <<

Sorry, I had forgotten about the other batteries in the CPU's. I'm looking for the rechargeable batteries.

I hope I'm not locked into this password protection thing. I'd like to update the system file and I can't do that unless the harddrive volume is unlocked. I can't boot up from a system floppy either, unless I'm doring it wrong. I tried booting with the extensions off also. Again, no go.

I really appreciate your efforts on my behalf and any other suggestions will be appreciated as well. Thanks again.

Bill Ellis

Go to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  18:03:18
I don't know how much help this will be, but here goes nothing...

I once had a SCSI drive that I couldn't touch under the MacOS, so I attached it to a PC and formatted it as a FAT32 drive. Then I replaced it in the Mac and reformatted. Worked like a charm on regular sized drives...but I don't know anything about portables, so this probably isn't much help.

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 9 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  00:10:02
Hmm, one of the problems with a question like this is the difference between 2.5 and 3.5" SCSI hard drives: I don't really have any expertise with PB SCSI devices.

Anyway: you could change the ID of your Mac's internal hard drive so it doesn't clash with your 2.5" drive.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  01:17:57
quote:

I just inherited two Powerbook 180's that have password protection and I have two questions.

Can I remove the password protection and can I update from system 7.1 to system 7.5.3.

I would like to dump the password routine because I don't need it . These Powerbooks came from an office environment, are no longer needed and where dumped on the employees. The employee dumped them on relatives, etc, etc, and I ended up with them.

The password scheme is by Empower Worldwide. I tried to drag the Empower module from the control panel, but it won't like me do that until it releases the volume that it's protecting. I can't figure out of to do that.

The Powerbook is running system 7.1 and I would like to update to system 7.5.3. Can't do that either because of this protection, I guess.

i'm trying to remember, i think the 180 was one of the first generation books, of which ONLY the 100 did SCSI disk mode. if i'm wrong and it's SCSIDM capable i'd try that route. if it's not i'd swap it into a duo or a 'book that is SCSIDM capable and try to do a low level reformat from another mac.

the other approach would be to use a 2.5"-3" disk adapter with id selector and attach directly to another mac. i have an old APS powerbook accessory drive case with this capability.

the PC approach sounds good if neither of these will work or is easier to try first. but i think you're going to need to do a clean install onto a freshly reformatted drive.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

BillEllis1502
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2002 :  14:24:21
Thanks for all of your suggestions. It sounds like the solution is a little more complicated than just a few key strokes. Which is what I was hoping for. We're talking open hard drive surgery here.

Since I have nothing to lose, I'll give it a try.

Thanks again for your direction.

Bill Ellis

Go to Top of Page

Eft37

USA
193 Posts
Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  14:31:02
Can you attach a CD drive to it, boot from a 7.5.3 install CD, and then format/clean install 7.5.3?

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  14:50:21
quote:
i'm trying to remember, i think the 180 was one of the first generation books, of which ONLY the 100 did SCSI disk mode. if i'm wrong and it's SCSIDM capable i'd try that route. if it's not i'd swap it into a duo or a 'book that is SCSIDM capable and try to do a low level reformat from another mac.

Actually, i'm sure it was just the 140, 145, 145B and 170 that were not capable of SCSIDM.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.