All Forums
 Lounge
 macdaddy's 'periodic weather thread'
Author Topic  
macdaddy

USA
107 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2002 :  17:33:53
In light of Tallgeese's weather thread, and since I am your 68KMLA field meteorologist, I now officially conclude Spring has Sprung in the Great Lakes region! Today was awesome! We had a high of 75, with sunny skies, with a southerly wind, advecting that warm air from the south! It was such a great day to just be outside, enjoying the beautiful weather!
So, here's my forecast: This warm weather thing was a one day event, tonight and into tomorrow will bring us a chance of tstms here, although there is limited moisture with the approaching cold front, and temps will be cooling back down into the 60s, closer to the average for this time of the year.

And, here's a good weather-related quote that someone wrote on the chalkboard in the weather center, relating this source of moisture for the eastern U.S to alcoholic drinks:

God bless the Gulf of Mexico. It's like a keg that never gets tapped out!

macdaddy - 68KMLA Field Meteorologist
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
68K Macs liberated : 9

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2002 :  18:52:53
Just thought I'd report from out here in sunny Las Vegas!
It's already in the high 80's to low 90's the past few days, and the talking heads on the radio are saying it's going to get a lot hotter really fast... shudder....
Later!
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2002 :  18:59:40
Yes. It is a bit on the warm side here in northeast Ohio - finally!

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  05:10:20
Yep...it's warm here in good 'ol Ohio.....yesterday it was around 75, but i had to work. BAH! lets hope we can get some storms, even if they are weak....just to make things interesting.

Macdaddy's younger sibling...
68k Macs liberated : LCIII+
LCII
Performa 410
IIci
Quadra 700
Quadra 800
Performa 550

Other macs:
Beige G3/300 tower

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  05:57:05
quote:

Yep...it's warm here in good 'ol Ohio.....yesterday it was around 75, but i had to work. BAH! lets hope we can get some storms, even if they are weak....just to make things interesting.

Macdaddy's younger sibling...

Hey! MacD&BabyBro!

<feigned alarmist mode>
we gotta make sure the two of you are in separate
MLA units, on the off chance that one of our positions were to be overrun by marauding wintel (borg) zealots, we wouldn't want to have "the sullivans" incident recurring.
</feigned alarmist mode>

jt

p.s. it's an interesting story, the paramilitary motif of the MLA lends itself to off/on topic sidebar info.

p.p.s. hey, macdaddy, have you read tom clancy's Red Storm Rising? pick up a copy if you haven't i, think you'll enjoy it coz one of the plotlines is right up your alley!

p.p.p.s. btw, it's a freakin' gorgeous day in the big apple!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 12 Apr 2002 06:03:47

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 12 Apr 2002 06:07:20Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  06:13:46
Down this side of the world we're starting frosts. I'll be heading over to my mothers' wood fire to curl up in front of it a few times in the next few months. yay!. My sis is looking at a property out of town that's going to get -snow-, and and and... it's nice here :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  14:48:47
here in SouthEast Michigan, temps were 71 degrees.

I'm thinking of moving up north to Lake Superior State University or Northern Michigan, to get away from this excessive heat.

Maybe I should live half the year in Northern Mich, and half the year in Oz near Dana...

~^^archie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2002 :  16:12:10
quote:

Down this side of the world we're starting frosts. I'll be heading over to my mothers' wood fire to curl up in front of it a few times in the next few months. yay!. My sis is looking at a property out of town that's going to get -snow-, and and and... it's nice here :)

dana

What's a "frost"?

J/k...just trying to see if i could trick ya!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2002 :  22:43:34
quote:

Lucky maniac... It's freaking boiling out here: Probably in the thirties outside, and it's 25 inside with the fans on full blast!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
00014 Macs liberatedGo to Top of Page

macdaddy

USA
107 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  11:34:00
68KMLA field meteorologist reporting in... an update on weather this past week. It's been unseasonably warm - mid to upper 80s most of the days, with dewpoints in the 60s. It actually felt quite humid. This warm weather is a far cry from what we had the first week of April, when it snowed each day for the first five days!

With this warm weather, it brings the risk of severe thunderstorms when a colder air mass moves into the warm air. Exactly that happened yesterday, over Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, and other areas of the region. In fact, yesterday was a historic day for me... I went on my first storm chase with VUSIT yesterday! It was very very awesome to be out there where the storms were happening. We didn't see any tornadoes, but we saw plenty of other cool things, such as nice mammatus clouds in a couple of cells, a wall cloud, and hail shafts. There was some cool CG [cloud-to-ground lightning] with them as well. It was an experience I'll remember forever...my first storm chase.

Today, it is much cooler out. It's in the 60s here, and this weekend looks to be cooler yet, as the pattern has shifted, again.

macdaddy - 68KMLA Field Meteorologist
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
68K Macs liberated : 9
Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  15:54:21
We have been having 90+ degree weather in NYC this week.....something is definitely not right!

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2002 :  17:53:15
quote:

We have been having 90+ degree weather in NYC this week.....something is definitely not right!

way cool thunderstorms this evening too, i even unkooked my systems! there was a flash bang right after i finished! must have moved in from the north as there is still strobing and visible lightning strikes to the south.

jt . .

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.